No Pike before Oct 1st?

JBee123

Tony U:

It has always struck me as a daft rule as well but I have no idea where the tradition came from.

I believe it is more common in East Anglia than elsewhere but for what reason?

Yup, a few with that rule round here.

Dan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having just witnessed a group of youngsters fishing for pike, and with no unhooking gear whatsoever, and also one adult with four rods, sat in his car and relying on the rod tips, ala beach fishing style, for bite indication, all I can say is that we MUST ban summer piking!

Peter, would you class now as summer and do you think it is down to a lot of pikers just chucking a fish back in after capture and not ensuring they're adequately revived and fighting fit? I remember I caught my very first pike back at an estate lake in Norfolk called Blickling Hall and their pike season was only from October. Are there other regions in the UK that have this policy or just Norfolk?

I agree. I think the problem is lack of pike knowledge for some anglers who believe that because pike are predatory fish with large teeth, that you can do anything with them and they'll be fine. Too many anglers believe that it's just a case of chucking half a mackerel in and hauling out a pike. I also feel that some people who fish for pike are far too scared of the fish itself - I know I was the first time I caught one. All it needs is for people to become slightly more educated in pike welfare and handling. At the end of the day, a pike should be respected and treated with as much care as a 2oz gudgeon

I make Budgie spot on!

No question about it in my mind, pike are open to a considerably greater level of risk on capture during the summer months. Of course no method or period of fishing is without an element of risk to the pike's health, so I adhere to the, 'Live and let live' school of thought. I wouldn't seek to spoil another pikers preferred style of fishing, so I'm not for a ban on summer piking, though, in truth, I'd prefer it if we didn't have the option.

Also, I appreciate that I'm being something of a pedant in mentioning this, but watching the rod tip as a means of indication is actually a far more efficient way of picking up an early registration than many of the more "acceptable" methods. It will certainly give you an earlier indication than ANY form of electronic buzzer, be it of front or rear gender. I spend much of my time watching my tips when piking, and will almost always spot a bite before it registers on the alarms or drop back indicators. In fact I believe the only quicker way of spotting a take to a static bait is the humble float.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

You're right Mikey, Blickling Hall's pike fishing season is October 1st - March 31st (I think), went there the other day, but it's closed to all fishing until July 2nd. Lots of carp on top, and saw 5 pike just biking round the lake :)

Dan

'If its watched!!'

Absolutely Peter! I'm talking about sitting on top of the rods and paying close attention. Providing you are using sufficient counter-weight to enable a 'set' to be made in the rod tip, a drop back will register clearly as a pinging back, or straightening of the tip. I suppose, thinking about it, that it's a more reliable method of indication when I'm using my softer rods (2 and 2.5 lb TC.) which I tend to use on drains, rivers and intimate little pits.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'