Should I/we fish for pike full stop

Tony 1

So we should return to the days of killing all pike,intentionly deep hooking,barbed hooks then Brian? So what do you want to see then Brian? How do we reduce trhe numbers of pikers?How do we increase the "rapidly declining amounts of predators"? despite having fell out with the PAC a long time ago I think they did a wonderfull jop in improving the pikes lot.Not that different to the situation you eel lads had.To say that things have not improved from that angle is riddiculous.The fact that more people fish for them and the other dodgy practices that you rightly mention do need addressing just as the old issues must still be watched.I was just trying to point out that it is not a lost cause and with perciverence things can be improved.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fenboy raises a good point (again!)A lot of us older/more experienced/more sucsessfull(?) anglers dont play the numbers game,dont chase around with such drive after big fish etc etc.BUT lets not forget why......and thats because we have been there and done it and subsequently grown out of it! So lets not nock the newer guys who are still going through that stage.There will always be some who dont grow out of it though...........

BUDGIE:

So we should return to the days of killing all pike,intentionly deep hooking,barbed hooks then Brian? So what do you want to see then Brian? How do we reduce trhe numbers of pikers?How do we increase the "rapidly declining amounts of predators"? despite having fell out with the PAC a long time ago I think they did a wonderfull jop in improving the pikes lot.Not that different to the situation you eel lads had.To say that things have not improved from that angle is riddiculous.The fact that more people fish for them and the other dodgy practices that you rightly mention do need addressing just as the old issues must still be watched.I was just trying to point out that it is not a lost cause and with perciverence things can be improved.

Did I say "we should return to the days of killing all pike etc."? I must have missed that. Please do not put words on my keyboard. :P

I do want to see the pressure on pike reduced.

I do want to see much more done on pike conservation?

I do want to see a return to close seasons for pike on still waters.

I do want to see more done on the education of "pikers".

I do want the PAC, etc., to be more proactive.

The numbers of predator anglers will continue to grow. When eel anglers no longer have eels to fish for they will turn to other species with the resultant increase in pressure.

If the new carp virus takes off and carp are extinct also in a few years time, the thousands of carp anglers will switch to other species also (or commit suicide)!

The pressure on pike is going to get worse. You nor I are in any position to do anything about it other than express our frustration and try to make positive contributions to the topic and try to put pressure on those who may be able to make a difference.

I am a member of the PAC. (number 30003 - significant number that - 30000 pikers!)) (Just rejoined following my return from France) I was a member in the 80's and early 90's after Barry persuaded me it would be a good idea. We both believed it is better to be part of an organisation to elicite change from within rather than a negative critic from outside.

If you feel that piking in the future is not going to be a "lost cause", just what do you think will have a positive impact on the success of the species? What positive advice would you have for groups such as the PAC?

I caught my first pike in the 1950's and I've had a few since then. I've never recorded my catches, numbers or size, but I have a few photos.

I just hope that future generations of pike anglers will be able to enjoy the sport as much as you or I have. However, I am very pessimistic!

Brian

Please help conserve the European Freshwater eel

- return all eels alive to the water.

- Join the European Eel Anglers Association

i cnnot seriously believe tht you think that pike, zander and perch are treated worse these days brian. i have to ask how much pike and zander fishing are you doing? in days gone by i used to see zander just thrown up the bank and some very dubious tactics for zander. nowadays that is rare, i wont say it doesnt happen but it happens far, far less. likewise with pike. i rarely see gorge tactics used on the fens, you do see the odd bit of mishandling but normally people are only too happy to have a bit of help and instruction, something i am always happy to give. things are far far better now than they were. as far as a close season goes, i dont fish for pike in the summer and i see veryfew people who do it. the only ones that do are lure anglers and though its not my cup of tea and i prefer to leave pike alone in the summer, there is less liklehood of dep hooking and as long as they are careful then i dont have a problem with it.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Brian,you ask what I would suggest to the PAC etc to try and remedy this situation? God I wish I knew! The points all ready raised and agreed upon ie close seasons and education and my own rather idealistic sugestion of a validated licence are all fine starting points but how you go about making these things happen I dont know.My knowledge of angling administration/politics is limited to club and area consultative commitee level only.All I can do is carry on with my teach ins and badgering of anglers and local clubs/fisheries.As for the wider picture I have to put my faith in people like yourself who are more experienced and active in the areas of politics and admin.

mark barrett:

i cnnot seriously believe tht you think that pike, zander and perch are treated worse these days brian. i have to ask how much pike and zander fishing are you doing? in days gone by i used to see zander just thrown up the bank and some very dubious tactics for zander. nowadays that is rare, i wont say it doesnt happen but it happens far, far less. likewise with pike. i rarely see gorge tactics used on the fens, you do see the odd bit of mishandling but normally people are only too happy to have a bit of help and instruction, something i am always happy to give. things are far far better now than they were. as far as a close season goes, i dont fish for pike in the summer and i see veryfew people who do it. the only ones that do are lure anglers and though its not my cup of tea and i prefer to leave pike alone in the summer, there is less liklehood of dep hooking and as long as they are careful then i dont have a problem with it.

Hi Mark, thank you for your comments. Although I go piking whenever I can (here in South Cumbria - following my return from France in July 2003), sadly, I do not get much chance now for zander, although I did quite a bit on the Fens, in the 70' and 80's when I lived in Peterborough.

The point I was trying to make is that there are far, far more anglers who fish for pike and zander, (and not just on the Fens) and perhaps perch than there were 30 years ago. No matter how good an angler is or how careful, accidents happen and predators die. Any long term predator angler who states that a fish had never died on them must be very, very lucky. A very good number have had traces part leaving trebles inside a pike, leading to a slow death.

It stands to reason, that more predator anglers = more predator deaths.

More predator anglers fishing for them in their breeding season = less future stock.

There is nothing in my power to do anything about this other than make positive suggestions and lobby those who possibly can. Groups like the Perchfishers, PAC and ZAC, together with local non-affiliated predator groups should organise a joint seminar, together with possible sponsors, to thrash out a long-term publicity campaign to ensure everyone who fishes for predators understand what tackle and techniques to use to maximise predator survival. All predator items of tackle should carry guidelines. All anglers buying items of predator tackle should have freely available, booklets giving information educating them on tackle and techniques.

I believe the PAC have one for pike. I do not know about the ZAC or Perchfishers.

In 1987, Ivan Sanders, produced an A4 booklet called "Protecting Pike - and the Pike Angler!"

This was funded by Tydd Gote A.C.

Apart from myself, contributers included:

John Sidley

Nev Fickling

Bruno Broughton

John Nunn

Alan Beat

Gordon Wood

Ian Knowles

Mick Bowles

Ken Whitehead

Andy Orme

Barrie Rickards

There were 22 sides of information, pictures and diagrams.

I would love to see an updated version called "Protecting Predators", mass produced and issued to all tackle shops.

I would then shut up! (except on eel conservation!)

Brian

i have to say brian that i found myself nodding to pretty much all of that. i think that you slightly overemphasise the more anglers equals more deaths as my personal opinion of what i see locally is the standard these days is far far higher than when i started as a boy in the late seventies/ early eighties, and even from 10 years ago.

however i think the idea of a joint "predator protector" leaflet is superb, however i doubt that it will ever come about as i think that the PAC will turn around and say that it already does produce a leaflet on pike care and that is their membership remit, which is a fair point. the ZAC is at the moment numbers wise very small, something i am trying to change with my meeting next week, but it is in no financial situation to produce a mass brochure of this type without pac,s help and i would imagine that similar could be said of the perchfishers although i dont really know as i am trying to become a member but it is quite a convuluted process.

its a brilliant idea Brian and one i would back and canvass for but i think its unlikely, sadly to ever happen

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Leon Roskilly:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/leon14.htm

Tight Lines - leon

:)

Excellent Leon. I've printed them off and will encourage others to do the same. Your articles could form the basis for a relevant updated predator angler/club booklet. It fits most of my concerns anyway (for pike) - apart from that of a predator close season.

Mark, my idea is that PAC, ZAC and Perchfishers do not have to fund a booklet. If they got together via a seminar with potential sources of funds/sponsors such as those with financial interests in the predator tackle trade, an appropriate booklet could be funded for distribution to all clubs and prospective predator anglers. It would obviously have to contain a bit of advertising from the sponsors but that may also encourage anglers to use the correct tackle. Such tackle could also contain brief guidelines.

All it needs is for such predator groups to take the first small step outside their own species, to take one giant step for predator angling.

Regards,

Brian

quote:

Originally posted by Brian Crawford:

More publicity and distribution, should be given to the NAA Code of Conduct for Coarse Anglers. This has good sections relating to predator fishing. Not enough but at least a start. Although the cost of £1 may put off the type of population we would wish to educate. Brian [/QB]

Brian, the Code of Conduct is part of the rules at Wingham, and has been ever since it was published by NASA. Anyone breaking the Code of Conduct is deemed to have broken the fishery rules. Every member gets a free copy and I've also given a few away to non-members.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net