Should I/we fish for pike full stop

Tony 1

Steve Burke:

quote:

Originally posted by Brian Crawford:

More publicity and distribution, should be given to the NAA Code of Conduct for Coarse Anglers. This has good sections relating to predator fishing. Not enough but at least a start. Although the cost of £1 may put off the type of population we would wish to educate. Brian

Brian, the Code of Conduct is part of the rules at Wingham, and has been ever since it was published by NASA. Anyone breaking the Code of Conduct is deemed to have broken the fishery rules. Every member gets a free copy and I've also given a few away to non-members. [/QB]
Excellent Steve. I would have expected that from you, well done. I wish all those who control similar waters would do the same.

I believe the SAA are having a few thousand more printed and distributed to all M.P.s and other V.I.P.s with influence.

I hope to distribute them to all the members of the Consultatives in Cumbria.

However, I do not believe they go far enough for predators as they do try to cover all aspects of all angling. I believe we need a booklet dedicated just to predator angling which is very comprehensive and is freely available. It may never happen, but if you don't ask - you don't get!

Regards

Brian

Please help conserve the European Freshwater eel

- return all eels alive to the water.

- Join the European Eel Anglers Association

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In practical terms I can't see why a guide, such as you suggest Brian, can't be printed and distributed by the tackle and bait companies. Nev Fickling, bless 'im, has printed recommendations on his Lucebaits packets. But, as the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. And that is the crux of the matter. You can't educate those who don't want to be educated. Non so thick as those who don't want to learn, nor none so dangerous :rolleyes: .

You can't educate those who don't want tobe - You're right there.

Instead, concentrate on those that do. There are a lot of kids and beginners out there HUNGRY for KNOWLEDGE.

Take Nathan, for example. I get the impression he's probably a teenager who has just started fishing. That's why he asks a lot of questions on this forum (Nathan, if you're a middle-aged codger I apologise for making assumptions).

Why not publish any number of Code of Conduct information articles on this forum, that can be downloaded or printed off? You can bet there will be a loads of kids who would be eager to snap up such info. Unlike Nathan, a lot would be too embarrassed to ask questions for fear of being ridiculed.

I'm new to this forum lark. Has such a thing been done before? Is it feasible?

Fenboy

fenboy:

You can't educate those who don't want tobe - You're right there.

Instead, concentrate on those that do. There are a lot of kids and beginners out there HUNGRY for KNOWLEDGE.

Take Nathan, for example. I get the impression he's probably a teenager who has just started fishing. That's why he asks a lot of questions on this forum (Nathan, if you're a middle-aged codger I apologise for making assumptions).

Why not publish any number of Code of Conduct information articles on this forum, that can be downloaded or printed off? You can bet there will be a loads of kids who would be eager to snap up such info. Unlike Nathan, a lot would be too embarrassed to ask questions for fear of being ridiculed.

I'm new to this forum lark. Has such a thing been done before? Is it feasible?

Fenboy, and everyone else - read Leon's post of 20/01.04 21:05 on this topic and download lots of copies.

:)

Regards,

Brian

A number of PAC guides are down-loadable. Seems reasonable that the SAA code of conduct should be as well.

My copy carries no adverts so the cost, I presume, has to be carried by the SAA. Down- loadable so then the cost would be down to the down-loader.

Peter Waller:

A number of PAC guides are down-loadable. Seems reasonable that the SAA code of conduct should be as well.

My copy carries no adverts so the cost, I presume, has to be carried by the SAA. Down- loadable so then the cost would be down to the down-loader.

Mike will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the cost is covered by the EA.

However, it would still be a good idea to have it in down-loadable format if it not already.

Regards,

Brian

Peter Waller:

Peter,

It is available for download as either PDF or HTML here:

http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/saa/code.htm

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Afternoon all

Brian, yes the NAA Code of Conduct, produced by SAA, is funded by our friends at the Environment Agency Fisheries Department. They paid for the original version from SAA and have funded the production and reprinting of the newer NAA version. I am sure we are all grateful that the EA can see the benefits to angling development and have spent in excess of £30,000 supporting us with the various codes. As has already been pointed out it is available as a download on the SAA webpages attached to this site.

In my club we ran a teach-in for junior pikers in January and four of them qualified to carry our Pike Anglers Pass to be allowed to fish for pike in our club waters. We will be doing the same for all senior members in June, when subscriptions are due for next season. The downloads from the PAC site were invaluable as well as a video we used filmed by Des Taylor.

The video provided a talking point using stop motion and the downloads were used to make up folders of info for the youngsters to take away. Rob Murray, secretary of PAC, very kindly sent me the files by e-mail when I could not download them directly and get the files to open for some reason.

In 2004/2005 members of our club will only be able to fish for pike if they have attended and passed one of our pike teach-ins. The teach-in includes a tackle inspection to make sure that all the ancilliary equipment is available to the angler concerned and discussions as to the need for it. All clubs could easily do something similar if they want to protect their pike. We are very lucky we have one small water which has a number of twenties and at least one thirty in it and we want to protect them from "instant pikers" and the damage they can inflict.

The idea of lure only in the summer months appeals to me and I will suggest that to our committee for consideration as part of our policy to introduce all year piking, to qualified members.

I have learnt a lot from this thread. Thanks to all who make this site so interesting, even if I don't post that often now.

Mike

Join the SAA today for only £10.00 and help defend angling.

Thanks Leon.

Thanks Mike, in an ideal world all responsible clubs would be run like yours. We can do more than hope. We can try to ensure our local club secretaries get a copy of this material available as downloads. If we take this responsiblility, as a positive step in education, we may take comfort in the fact that as a result, many pike will survive that may not have and that more pikers (young pikers) will learn to enjoy being more successful and pleased that their efforts will not result in the death of pike.

I would still like to see a Predator Booklet published though, to cater for the many predator anglers who are not on the internet or may not be members of a pike friendly club! :D:D:D

Brian