Should I/we fish for pike full stop

Tony 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

Until the child protection beauracracy arrived, Canterbury PAC used to run a pike teach-in for the juniors of Canterbury and District AC.

A midweek evening session on theory, and a practical fish-in at the weekend (it was a real education for accompanying mums and dads too).

Something we learned to our cost, was that the line being used by the juniors needs to be carefully checked before fishing begins.

It may have looked like hawser cable, but it may have been on the reel for generations, and broke like cotton!

Only hindsight made checking the lines used self-evident, something easily overlooked in all of the excitement of getting a bait out there.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

waterman1013:

Brian

Like you I think a handy booklet would be great. I will talk to Rob Murry about it and see if we cannot put something together to put to potential sponsors.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I guess I can shut up now.

Cheers.

Brian :D:D:D

Please help conserve the European Freshwater eel

- return all eels alive to the water.

- Join the European Eel Anglers Association

I am sorry to be so negative here,especialy as I cant offer a constructive alternative.I am really not convinced that banging out a few leaflets will help that much.Yes a leaflet showing safe rigs and tackle etc handed out to all who buy pike bits in the local shop or with the dayticket at the local lake will hopefully stop those who want to learn not using traces or insuficient BS line etc BUT it wont no matter how good the text or photos overcome the initial fear/lack of confidence which causes the poor handling and unhooking of pike.

As has allready been mentioned a lot of clubs are now insisting that at least their junior members attend a teach in before being allowed to pike fish. ( a good example of how I believe advances in attitude towards Pike have improved over the last 30 years Brian!)

The requests for teach ins have also increased over the years.Since being back in the country I have had to seriously start considering turning people down as I would like some time to fish myself.Whilst living abroad I returned to the UK for 8 weeks a year I took part in teach ins every other week.Now it seems people want them every week.The demand obviosly exceeds the supply.So where are all the "famous" pikers then? where are all the people who owe their living to the sport? all the people who constantly bang on about pike handling in the press and on the internet? All the PAC members (who constantly preach pike preservation to a non member like myself? :confused:

However I still feel that the only real way ahead is licencing.First though some form of legislation needs to be brought in,but to get that we must first be united.some chance of that!

I will carry on doing what I can do at my lowly level but it would be nice for me to think that the "angling politicians" are fighting for me the issues I cant.Leaflets etc? only one up from bring and buy sales and coffee mornings in my eyes girls!I want to see Brian,Waterman and our other guys chained naked to the railings out side of the Houses of Parliment with Drennan 7 Strand!or what ever you politicos do when you get extreme or maybe a hard core bumper sticker campaign? :P

Dont ask me how you do it thats your department Im afraid,in fact very afraid! :)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Getting top-name pikers in to show beginners isn't necessarily the answer. being good at what you do doesn't amke you a good teacher.

In the workplace, I'm half-decent at what I do. I should be after 30 years of doing it. But I'm crap at taking a newcomer under my wings and showing them the ropes. That's partly because I'm impatient and a bit aggressive, but mainly because I'm a cr@p teacher. People who can pass on their wisdom easily have a real knack that I don't possess. Any skills I have are instinctive and I can't necessarily articulate them.

But I have met brilliant educators. One of this forum's posters, Brian Crawford, is one of them. He can patiently explain... which is a real skill.

He's also a great angling politician, for similar reasons. Now he's back in the uk, I do hope he gets involved again.

Fenboy

I take your point Fenboy.I would just like to see more people out there doing it instead of just moaning! You certainly dont have to be famous or well known to teach but it can help!A well known piking face from the mags will be a bigger draw than a fat "Famous(?)Angling Guide" :D (curtesy of Mr Darkin Esq) :P:P like myself!No seriously many more people need to get of their arses and put these things together.This is the easy bit a lot of us can help with.The Political side is the hard bit.

the problem with dong fish ins these days, juniour ones at least are the child protection laws. anyone who is running one of these nowdays has to have a full criminal background check, which do cost money. i am of course 100% in favour of the reason for these but they have put paid to a lot of this type of event :(:(

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Not quite true Mark.Most of the teach ins I am asked to give are organised by clubs and there is a mixture of ages/competence levels.It would be different if I was advertising "Junior Pike Fishing Teach Ins with Uncle Budgie" or similar but as some one brought in for the day so to speak this doesnt happen.I am not aware of any of the clubs having had problems along these lines but this maybe due to the fact that most of them have age/must be accompanied by adult type piking rules?

Lyn (and where did she get off to) was worried about this back when the rule was first put into effect.

I remember several long discussions and think I remember someone reaching a conclusion that it wasn't as bad as it sounded. Maybe somebody with a better memory can comment?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President