Otter eats £10,000 prize carp from couple's pond

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

People have odd ideas about what ordinary grade koi are worth.

Nonetheless, tragic for them, they must be very upset. I think people with koi ponds in areas with otters need to realise that leaving their pond unprotected is like leaving their chickens loose in the garden with foxes about.

:shutup:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I especially like the second commenters remarks. Not to be outdone, his brother lost five thousand pounds of carp to ONE otter. WOZZER!!

That's an awful lot of carp, but fear not, the culprit has been spotted - Ottzilla!

otzilla_zpsfd00e092.jpg

• Like 2

Phone, he means £5,000.00

its a damned shame all the same. Are otters south of the border becoming urban pests like seagulls ?

err, na, it's the fishery managers, anglers etc who need to be retrained, nice to read some facts, i note even the trust is warming to the facts with regards fisheries that are not well managed: http://www.otter.org/documents/IOSF%20Otters%20and%20Fisheries%20Conference%202012%20Edinburgh.pdf

couple of good points within apart from fishery management are the otter population appears to control it self. And fishries with a healthy otter population mirror a healthy balanced fishery. :)

devon_pic_large.jpg

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

couple of good points within apart from fishery management are the otter population appears to control it self. And fishries with a healthy otter population mirror a healthy balanced fishery. :)

Blimey Barry, do you mean that evil scientists have repeated those ridiculous claims that predators and prey can live together in ecological balance?.....I thought John (I'm no scientist) Wilson and his cronies said that all otters are "decimating" all of the fish and that there will be no fish left by a week next thursday...... :bangin:

• Like 1

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• 2 weeks later...

Are otters south of the border becoming urban pests like seagulls ?

No, it's hate-mongering, as per usual. Now that Pike are off the list as blood-thirsty, endlessly hungry, non-discriminant killers of all things aquatic, the anti-anything-predatory division are now setting about seeing the destruction of yet another animal, we as humans, practically wiped off the face of the Earth in the first place.

I'm absolutely certain there's an imbalance of Otter numbers in certain parts of the UK but their reintroduction is quite a recent event and like any reintroduction, it takes time for the population to spread out and find some kind of equilibrium but it seems some aren't prepared to give them the chance to do even that.

I'd think most people are glad to know that Otters are back from the brink of destruction but it's yet another case of 'not in our backyard'. As long as Otters are eeking out a living 'elsewhere' there generally isn't a problem. It just so happens that 'elsewhere' is likely to be someone's backyard.

It wasn't so long ago that Mink were rampant on my local river and the fish suffered as a result but Mink aren't a native species, they breed like rabbits and their eating habits are woefully destructive. However, Mink and Otters don't get along and since the larger, native species have increased in number, the lesser, non-native predator has decreased in number and quite considerably too. I know which of the two I'd rather have living in these here parts.

I was just saying, rather sarcastically, on another forum, it's any wonder how fish to get by in the past, when Otters were wise-spread up and down the UK and in far greater numbers. The pike has been let off the hook, quite recently as it happens, due to pressure from groups like PAC and the scientific community. Now that it's deemed bad practice to net, cull and fling Pike up the bank, it's inevitable that another predator was going to find itself in the firing line. We just can't help ourselves.

I've also noticed that it's mainly Carp owners, farmers, fishery owners and private fish-keepers who are most vocal about this subject. Carp are no more natural to the UK than the Mink, yet they seem to be far more important, having attained almost God-like status throughout the country, yet in other countries, where Carp are equally unnatural, they are regarded as little more than destructive pests. Personally, I'd rather see the back of Carp before I saw the back of a quite beautiful animal that has every right to be here in the first place.

• Like 2

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...