Slow Google searches

Steve Burke

Kiri get your ego in check mate your in danger of not being able to fit your head up your own arse.

those end users who dont take precautions are obviously at fault im talking about people despite having proper protection IE still allows .... oh you know what read over my post again i cant be bothered with you.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

How do you rset your browser in firefox?

I'm a duffer, but try to be careful :)

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-preferences-fix-problems

try this mate!

your lucky I replied! if Andy had he would just tell you it's **** and to try another browser!! :bleh:

and Andy, seriously man!

all we are doing is discussing personal opinions....you have your experiences of browsers I have mine! that's all there is to it!!

personal insults? you had to go there?? shame....but hey ho

Edited by kirisute

I don't want to enter the combat (although it does look like good fun :D :D ) but may I suggest that substituting "ignorant"or "clueless" for "stupid" would be closer to the mark.

Over the years, we've (at least those of us who do some upkeep/repair on machines other than our own) all seen PCs that were so loaded with junk & malware & sludgeware they could hardly run and so unprotected they would be vulnerable to whatever critter came along. However, I can't remember even one case where the owner wanted to get infected.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

IE9 is perfectly good...considering in the last few months firefox has been found to have major security flaws I think your just slinging mud in a glass house. :)

the issue is with IE being on the majority of systems then the majority of average user will use it and it will become compromised....the only thing different with Mozilla is that they do tend to be very swift on their addressing of security flaws...with version 16 being patched to close 11 CRITCAL security flaws within 24 hours of its release!!

so im sorry..if you think firefox is somehow safer that IE or Chrome then your sadly wrong...its just they tend to be a bit swifter to cover them up :) in actual fact I tend to see more infections on systems running Firefox simply because people have this illusion its going to somehow be safer for them....and that little bit of knowledge is usually attached to people who are downloading torrents and other stupid things without protecting their systems correctly.

every browser; without fail has security issues and will become compromised!!

as for the OP:

head into your IE TOOLS:

choose INTERNET OPTIONS

choose ADVANCED

click RESTORE ADVANCED SETTINGS

then click RESET and tick all the boxes in the next window

restart IE and reset any prompts you might have; also reset your homepage to whatever you wish.

if that doesn't resolve the issue then download and run this:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20359976/Roguefix_3.008.bat

download it to your desktop:

right click it and choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

follow on screen prompts

when you restart open IE and reset your homepage etc

I would imagine your system has been compromised by a crappy toolbar that is trying to access the internet when you your opening your browser. both the above methods will remove or disable such browsers.

on top of that with the last update to google stuff they decided it would be nice to install a google update service that you simply have no choice but to use. its a pain in the arse and it will connect to your internet almost every hour to check for updates....you can disable the service in the registry and via services in your system properties but the cleanest way to deal with it is not trust a company that install hidden update software that even a system admin cant diable in a easy and efficient way! in other words...uninstall ANY google software you are using..you don't need it...IE 9 will access your google mail quite happily without any google software installed!

Thanks, Kiri. :thumbs:

I'm not sure if any of the Advanced Settings had been changed a good while ago by my son who works in computing. I won't be seeing him for a while. This would have been way before this problem arose. So I'm hesistant to make any changes at present.

Instead, I can uninstall the Google Toolbar via CCleaner. Would that work?

BTW, all my programs are kept up to date, mostly via Secunia where there's not an automatic update. If an update request flashes up on screen I check via Secunia to make sure it's real. However I've just had a note saying that there's a Java update available, but Secunia doesn't cover this. How can I check it's real?

Many thanks.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

"Instead, I can uninstall the Google Toolbar via CCleaner. Would that work?"

Yes it would. While you are there make a note of the Java version you have. You may or may not need Java but if you have it, you need it absolutely up to date.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

There was a java update within the last 3-4 days, I know as I have updated mine.

Oh just to join in the fun :D I also do not and will not use IE for anything other than coding (95% of the time its on my local linux server), I have used FF for years and have never had any problems with malware/virii/spyware when using it, previous to FF, I was using IE and I had to clean my PC 2-3 times a week because of the nasties.

Just updated Java.

I'll uninstall the Google toolbar shortly and see if that makes a difference. It's a shame as I find many of its features useful.

Can anyone recommend a spellchecker I can use on the Forum instead of the Google Toolbar?

Thanks, all.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

As others have sad; there was a java update last week...because, guess what.....

They had a major security flaw in their last version!

As for spelling:

http://www.speckie.com/

Try this

Is that one better than IEspell? I did notice IEspell hasn't been updated since 2010 which may not be a good sign.