Buying Online

Guest Elton

Obviously, due to the fact that my 'real' job involves selling online, I have a vested interest in this subject.

THat aside, I do find myself buying more and more online. It's just so simple...you get that 'I wanna buy something' itch and away you go.

Apart from fishing gear, what stuff do you buy online?

My most common purchase is music and I've been using HMV. I don't know if they're the cheapest, but they are a name I know, so the confidence factor is already there.

I also buy most PC stuff online, using simply.co.uk for a lot of it. Cheaper, and next day delivery smile.gif

I'm just about to use Amazon for the first time, so that will be interesting.

Next step for me is online banking - I'm getting sick of one out of date statement per month frown.gif

All the best,

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

Guest fisherman

I have bought camo gear on-line for when I go shooting and some Ron Thompson rods and reels, everything was quick and very efficient. Anyone got any gear from the states? Wondered if there was any import tax and if it worked out any cheaper?

Dave

Originally posted by mmc1uk:

Just how safe is it? Can anyone tell me if there is a protocol I can look for as I am just not sure?

Safer than buying over the phone or by fax, that's for sure! As long as the site uses encrypted secure servers, your details can't be easily intercepted. In fact, there isn't a proven case of this ever happening in the UK.

Mind you, we still get people who prefer to fax their credit card detials! Just think of this...how do you know where the fax machine is in a company? In a lot of instances, it sits in a room and is used by dozens of staff!! Also, faxes can be intercepted by wannabe fraudsters with a tape recorder, two bits of string and two crocodile clips. Much the same as phone calls.

The other alternative is to write all your personal details down, put them in an envelope and pop them into a metal box in the street. Then just sit back and hope they get there okay....I know what my preferred method is biggrin.gif

All the best,

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

Guest Steve Burke
Originally posted by Elton:

Apart from fishing gear, what stuff do you buy online?

Books, C.D.s, Eurotunnel tickets, coach tickets, accomodation.

We'll be buying a lot more online in future. It's cheaper and most of all I hate going to the shops!

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham/htm

Guest Trevor Babich

Hi guys,

books for dummies mainly from Amazon and booking accomodation at fishing places - its so easy even I can do it.

Regards,

Trevor

Guest Martin Salisbury

I booked a flight to Amsterdam, booked a hotel (cheeky enough to email for discount and got one!) booked my insurance and wangled a trip/match to Ajax all via email and internet it works!

I'm currently addicted to ordering bloody lures from harris angling one at a time just so i get some mail!

Martin

Ps Elton i hope you were ordering my book on amazon! It started out ranked at 440,000ish went to 86,000 and was down to 6,000 on sunday pretty impressive for a boring fishing book! no doubt i'm ranked (sales) back out at 400,000+ again now)

Guest RobStubbs

Elton,

I've bought books, CD's, DVD's, fishing tackle and a 2nd hand computer (from the amazon auction site & from the US). I have never had any hassle, even with customs.

Rob.

P.S. And last week got my groceries shopping online.

Guest pete falloon

Hello

I haven't been in here before - I've bought cd's, books, guitar strings, tuners, flight tickets, and I use the Egg bank too.