Favourite Non-Fishing Books?

Guest Steve Burke

Guest Alan Taylor
Originally posted by Steve Burke:

What are your favourite books, apart from fishing ones?

I'm a science fiction fan. Not science fantasy, which often gets lumped together with science fiction. Science fantasy with its swords and sorcery is really only adult fairy tales. Great if that's what you like, but it has little to with science. Mind you someone once did write "Magic is only science you don't understand."

My favourite authors include Asimov, Clarke and Heinlein, and I especially like what are called "future histories", particularly if aliens aren't included.

Unfortunately fantasy novels are now taking over. I've read some Greg Bear and one or two others but IMHO they aren't up to the old masters. Anyone got any suggestions for authors to try?

I don't get time to read now but used to read Louis Lamour westerns until the pages fell out.

I do have a question though, I read a book once (20 odd years ago)about a guy who did something cowardly when the fire ships were being sent into a fleet. Loads of his fellow sailors died and he was condemed to roam the seas for all time. He stayed in the Navy under different names for a couple of hundred years and became an officer. During this time he did lots of good things and had some great adventures. I just can't remember the name of the book or who it was by. It was a great read though. Probably something like albatros or the ancient mariner. Can anyone help.

Alan(nl)

Guest DaveMHunt

Well crime fiction is my adiction, Patricia Cornwall, and Deaver being my choice, these are both forensic science fiction, and as I'm a sad Pc (You Put your own meaning)its almost work.

I have recently read "The syndicate" and "The Syndicate(RIP)" by Mark Cunningham,, and yes I know they're fishing linked, but I would hope its fiction?? smile.gif, but these books are highly recomended by me if you need a bit of light reading.Just finishing Andy McNabs last paper back, so will be looking for a new book soon.