Email problems

Colin Brett

Can't help too much with mail settings, but go to freeserve home page and register for access to your mail on the web, at least then you can read and reply untill some one a bit clevererererer than me can sort the problem !!!

Colin, two likely possibilities (and the fixes are as they would be for Outlook/Outlook Express so if you have another mail client, you will have different buttons but the same options - you will just get to them differently):

1. Your email is somehow set to use the wrong port number for inbound mail.

If so, go to Tools~Accounts~Mail~Properties~Advanced and if the incoming server (POP3) port number is other than 110, change it to that.

2. Your email program is trying to use SSL.

To check, go to Tools~Accounts~Mail~Properties~Advanced. If the option to use Secure(SSL) is checked, uncheck it.

If neither of these is the problem, post back.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

quote:

Originally posted by Newt:

If neither of these is the problem, post back.[/QB]

I have tried both of these would be solutions but to no avail??

Funny I can still use the web?

Why has this suddenly happened?

I have both Firewall and Antivirus software in use. Could the antivirus be causing a problem?

Colin

The fact that you got a No at the beginning of the error indicates an issue with the port your PC is trying to use.

What email program are you using?

Can you send but just not receive?

Not likely to be caused by anti-virus software unless you are running McAfee (which has been known to cause this behavior) and an older version of IE (4.x maybe) on Win95/98.

Very possible with firewall software that isn't configured just right.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

The fact that you got a No at the beginning of the error indicates an issue with the port your PC is trying to use.

What email program are you using?

Can you send but just not receive?

Not likely to be caused by anti-virus software unless you are running McAfee (which has been known to cause this behavior) and an older version of IE (4.x maybe) on Win95/98.

Very possible with firewall software that isn't configured just right.

SUSSED IT!!

I uninstalled Norton and Lo and Behold email works again! I have reinstalled and everything seems fine now?

I am using Outlook Express 6. I couldn't send or receive mail. Web surfing OK.

Anyway all OK now, Thanks for your help Newt.

Colin

Great news Colin. Glad you got it going again.

Colin Brett:

SUSSED IT!!

I uninstalled Norton and Lo and Behold email works again! I have reinstalled and everything seems fine now?

I am using Outlook Express 6. I couldn't send or receive mail. Web surfing OK.

Anyway all OK now, Thanks for your help Newt.

Colin

A-ha - this could be because when you install Norton anti-virus it reconfigures your email settings so that the mails come through Norton and get checked before being stored in the mail folders. In my case it changed the the server name to 127.0.0.1 from whatever it was before. Sounds like somehow yours got corrupted.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.