Pike Gags

Elton

Surely this is the way forward ,no net no chinning so no worry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh4NecG6YIE

• Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Surely this is the way forward ,no net no chinning so no worry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh4NecG6YIE

In the right circumstances i would give that a go.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Theres bow fishing as well ,several vids of targeting flying carp?

No moans from some about decimating the fish stocks please ,until recently taking home for the pot was common and the fish stocks far healthier than now even with our fish buying frenzy

When fish was for friday it was generally course fish so the "take" huge compared to today but strangely there was no impact on stocks unlike our caring modern option where fish appear to decline for no reason

I take nothing for the pot but should circumstances change i would have no problem emptying the river ,they are after all just fish

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The reason given for not pike fishing in summer is low oxygen levels in warmer water which is supposed to cause 'gassing' up, that is to say negatively altered oxygen levels in the fish. In the worst case killing the pike. It may be a variable, however I know for certain it doesn't kill every pike because of more than one capture of recognisable individuals. Maybe in some waters which have low oxygen levels to begin with it is a real problem. Perhaps quite not so in our large glacial waters. In any case I shall continue to summer fish for them, in fact top water lureing in shallow weedy bays from a boat, is for us anyway the creme dela creme, of pike fishing, or any type fishing come to that. I rarely dead bait in summer because I have found that the fish take the baits so fast that even with good sensitive bite indication there is the liklihood of deep hooking. Lure fishing is much more fum anyway.

The problem of summer piking is a very real one.

In recent years it has been worse with the popularity of very light lure fishing.

I get told all the time ''I'me using 25lb braid and my rod is strong enough to handle a 20''.

But with the very light rods it is almost impossible to land a decent fish until it has fought to a standstill.

It is quite likely that a fish played like this in the summer with low disolved oxygen levels will go belly up.

No doubt it is great sport but not very good for the pike.

Might just as well let the EEs have them, at least they get a meal.

Might just as well let the EEs have them, at least they get a meal.

If they were to go 'belly up' then i would have a meal out of them too, however they rarely do. As I said earlier I know for certain that we are not killing the summer pike we catch, identifiable individuals are caught more than once, in a couple of notable exceptions years apart. Even the PAC support summer piking in our glacial waters and in the Scotish Lochs. Where do you do your pike fishing?

Consider the (social) history of fishing, sundays in summer was the day that working people had the time to go off fishing. for many years one could hire boats on our local lake, and summer sundays saw it full of anglers of various abilities. Lots of pike were caught, some killed outright as vermin or for food others released. the public hire boats were stopped in the early 70s yet now the lake is a prolific pike water, if anything it might benefit from the thinning out of jacks. Why havn't we decimated the pike population if it is such a problem? It may be a problem to some individual fish but I don't see any evidence to show it as a threat to the overall population.

Edited by Emma two
  • Like 1
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"