live baiting for perch

oneillbox

Guest Rabbit
2008 or not you are really kidding your self if you think that lures can catch as much as livebaits in all conditions.I wish they did as it would save an awfull lot of effort.

Each to his own regards using/liking any method but if some one doesnt like a method or isnt comfortable about using it then simply say so rather than dissmissing it as unecessary or inferior.

Come off it Budgie you cannot deny that livebaiting IS in decline because there are some very good effective lures that do a very good job, and without the 'effort' needed to use live baits, let alone factor regarding the image that live baiting has with some.

Just an opinion you understand we all have them and should be free to express as such on a Forum such as this without fear.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the best way to put a live bait on the hook?

If you're drifting in moving water then a lip hook works best. If you are fishing it under a float then one behind the dorsal lets the fish keep swimming with your rig above it. If you are ledgering then one by the tail lets the fish swim longer but one in the lip will have the hook into the fishes mouth as soon as he hits the bait.

Thanks,

Rick

Come off it Budgie you cannot deny that livebaiting IS in decline because there are some very good effective lures that do a very good job, and without the 'effort' needed to use live baits, let alone factor regarding the image that live baiting has with some.

Just an opinion you understand we all have them and should be free to express as such on a Forum such as this without fear.

Over here, you can't walk into a bait shop and buy 2 dozen shiners for bait. There aren't many small streams where you can seine your own. So you're limited to what you can catch on a rod and reel first to use later as bait. That is a bit of a pain unless you are targeting something specific. To be honest, if I was targetting big pike and I mean truly big pike I'd start with live bait. Live bait always looks like the natural because it is the natural. It always behaves like an injured fish because it is hindered by your line. There is nothing that sets a big predator off like an injured prey.

When the fish are feeding actively then you can often catch as many fish on lures just because the amount of time the lure is in the water and the amout of water you can cover. When the fish are not feeding actively, live bait is the only way to go.

thanks

rick

Come off it Budgie you cannot deny that livebaiting IS in decline

No I certainly agree with you there.However its not (IMO) down to the increase in the use of or effectiveness of lures. Todays modern angler comes into a world of pre packed,convenience,"designer" baits.Not only does he succumb to lazyness but also the marketing hype of the bait companies!

I honestly believe these reasons even out way the people who genuinely have a problem with the "moral"/cruelty issue. I think it will eventually die out even more but there will always be a hardcore of predator anglers who will continue to use the method even if its eventually out lawed......simply because its so effective.

Im not going to go into the "is it cruel","banning it will apease the anti's" issues as my thoughts on this have been posted many times.

As everyone is entitled to their own opinion I think its only right that the option of choice is regarded in the same way.With neither side "forcing" their own ideals on the other.However I will always stand up for livebaiting when its sugested that its not a legitimate and some times essential method.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

No I certainly agree with you there.However its not (IMO) down to the increase in the use of or effectiveness of lures. Todays modern angler comes into a world of pre packed,convenience,"designer" baits.Not only does he succumb to lazyness but also the marketing hype of the bait companies!

I honestly believe these reasons even out way the people who genuinely have a problem with the "moral"/cruelty issue. I think it will eventually die out even more but there will always be a hardcore of predator anglers who will continue to use the method even if its eventually out lawed......simply because its so effective.

Im not going to go into the "is it cruel","banning it will apease the anti's" issues as my thoughts on this have been posted many times.

As everyone is entitled to their own opinion I think its only right that the option of choice is regarded in the same way.With neither side "forcing" their own ideals on the other.However I will always stand up for livebaiting when its sugested that its not a legitimate and some times essential method.

Agree

The amount of 'work' required to even catch decent decent livebaits then the hassle of keeping them in good condition when moving swims (as you should do) does put people off. I'm reasonably fit and the extra gear required, especially when fishing swims that are hard to get to etc is a real pain but I know that the effectiveness of them does make it worthwhile.

TBH 'carp tactics' of sitting behind buzzers while enjoying the scenery/watching the portable TV have become more popular, even in pike fishing these days where the 'trophy fish' is everything.

Also very, very hard to police....as above, most staunch predator anglers will livebait anyway, just like they do now on club waters where it's banned as it can be a short cut to success...just a matter of concience I suppose.

Edited by Neil G

Guest Rabbit

That's the point really conscience,no way would I want to try and take the moral high ground on the live baiting issue, but with the advent of some excellent lures, if only for convenience they seem to be the better option. i think what concerns me more if a novice angler has to ask how to hook up a live bait how the hell will they cope with a deep hooked perch or pike? Given that both species are very fragile in this respect some instruction from an experienced angler would be advised.

I have never taken to pike fishing because of this, the trauma for both the angler and the fish is too much for me to take when unhooking a deep hooked fish.

I have never taken to pike fishing because of this, the trauma for both the angler and the fish is too much for me to take when unhooking a deep hooked fish.

Trauma? Steady on Neil, your in danger of attributing fish with emotions. :o

I too don't pike fish, but do use livebait for chub and perch usually a minnow /gudgeon and always lip hook with a single hook. Because my baits are usually under 4ins I find that lip hooking is all I need.

It's not because of any 'moral' issues I might have, if I had those then I would stop angling altogether.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Quite a few people reckon pike are fragile, but I can honestly say that I've had more problems returning river bream than pike.

And they don't even fight! :(

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Quite a few people reckon pike are fragile, but I can honestly say that I've had more problems returning river bream than pike.

And they don't even fight! :(

lol I'd agree with that, I often find non preds a pain to handle etc as the mouths are usually small compared to a pikes and you can't grip/hold the fish like you do a pike.

Using silly sized live baits i.e specimen sized roach would be a bit out of order but since I'm such a c**p float angler and can only catch baits up to around 3 inches in size that rules me out of that one!

personally i hook the fish once just under the dorsal fin, this seems to be the strongest area to withstand casting etc...

i will try some lip hooking and tail hooking and see how i get on.

just another opinion, but......people who are anti livebaiting...is there any evidence that fish have more 'feeling, emotions and sentiment' than maggots or worms?? which are also a kind of livebait after all !!

so come on all of you 'tree huggers, get real, livebaiting is here to stay, there is simply no substitute for it, nothing comes close..... !!!

and hey, the predators fight well this time of year, the pike are even jumping clear of the water !!!