oneillbox

Simple fried Perch

for two

2lbs of fresh Perch (or defrosted)

1 egg

3oz plain flour

2 tbl spoons veg cooking oil

salt and pepper

Gut fish remove head tail and fins, ensure you get the root out of the dorsal, scissors are good for cuting the fins off.

push the point of a sharp knife under the skin where the head was removed. Ease the skin away from the flesh, then carefullt pull the skin away.

Use a good sharp filleting knife to take a fillet from each side of the fish. This should give you 2 good bone free fillets. I seldom bother with fish less than 8" long, if you do have a lot of smaller fish it's still worth the effort, you just get small 'goujons' of flesh. It's good, but not essential to use a filleting board with a hinged grip.

beat the egg in a bowl and dip the fillets in to coat them.

season the flour with salt and pepper to yoor tastle (I add just a hint of garlic too)

shake the flour onto a plate and lay the fillets each side onto the flour so they become coated with it.

Heat the oil in a frying pan and hot fry the fillets for 2 to 3 minutes each side, dependant on their size, until golden brown and crispy.

I like to serve then with a good tossed salad and chips with a crisp white wine.

One of my favourite dishes, a special treat, in my opinion far superior to stockie rainbows. Wonderful on a summer evening outside, so underated (Mr Crabtree liked 'em!) The crispy outside gives way to fantastic white flesh.

The water from which the perch lived may make a difference, I catch mine in the clear waters of the lake district, those from a muddy lowkand water or canal my not be so good, I cooked one which I caught in the Havel in Berlin, it was awful, it tasted of petrol.

They are good cooked on slates or wrapped in tinfoil and put in a campfire right on the lake edge.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds tasty, apparently a very good fish to eat

I think the only circumstances I would eat a pike or Perch would be if they went belly up on me.

Anyway, back to livebaiting....I'm looking forward to seeing what shows up tomorrow with some livies in use...just never been bothered to do it much in the past.

I think the only circumstances I would eat a pike or Perch would be if they went belly up on me.

That's my position with Pike,and as I thnk I said elswhere recently, I have only had to kill one Pike in the last 3 or 4 years, it was a jack which swallowed a deadbait. Even then I nursed it in the shallows until it did indeed go 'belly up'. Then it became fishcakes after Hugh Fernlea-Whittingstall's recipie.

That reminds me of what might be a controversial bit of tackle which I always carry, a 'priest', so that if a fish or whatever species need to be despatched then I can do it humanely, mine is a lead filled section of red deer antler which I made. Better than scrabling around looking for a suitable rock with which to bash the creature's head in.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

It's the hassle of livebaiting that puts me off the most - whenever you need 4oz roach or whatever is always the time you can't buy a bite, plus lugging them and a heavy bucket of water around is a royal headache.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

i use the hand held bit from a pestle and mortar (think that is what they are called but not sure which is which) its a heavy wooden small club, about 7 inches long, and ideal for terminating the life out of a half dead fish. i do not fish for the pot as i love to see the live creatures and let them go, but a deep hooked pike is fair game for the oven. never tried a perch.....i think i might..

Edited by oneillbox

Guest Rabbit

Better than scrabling around looking for a suitable rock with which to bash the creature's head in.

Well done thanks for the graphic detail, you certainly are doing a good job for the anti's with that sort of comment.

Being truthful and realistic is a decent approach, whether dealing with antis or squeamish anglers. You can dress up killing a fish by hitting it so hard on the head that it is killed by trauma to the brian/nervous system any way you like, but the act and it's result are the same. To put it any other way simply insults the intelligence, of 'antis' or anyone else. I have seen unprepared anglers lookng for a blunt instrument (scrabbling around) and I imagine that most of us have.

Don't be patronising and sarcatic to its s low form of humour and bad manners. Over the last couple of decades I have done more then my bit when it comes to the defence and awarness raising over ALL FIELDSPORTS, appearing on television, radio and as a rep for the BFSS at the main party conferences, this involved me giving up lots of time, which equates into giving up money to try and ensure the continuation of our country sports. They liked to use me because I am very good at public speaking and I dont look like a sterotypical 'untin, shootin' fisher, which tends to throw some of our opposition into confusion, for example if I apporoach a minister and ask 'what is your stance on huntin, fishing or whatever, they are often unsure of how to respond as they don't know what side of the fence I'm on. What I have found is that we dont get anywhere by using evasive terms to describe what we do, it tends to fool no one.

I fish for Zander with live bait, I have to say it’s by far the best method, far better than deads, wobbled or lures.

I catch a lot of good sized perch also. I always use a float rig slider with a single circle hook on a wire trace.

I find the best live baits are bleak about 4 to 5 inches long.

I always catch my live bait as required, i.e. I catch one and fish it and perhaps catch one in reserve.

I don’t stock pile live baits.

I can tell you I have fished a swim for hours with a dead, wobbled or float fished and not had a take, then I have put on a live and have had instant action and repeatedly, perch wont touch a dead bait in my experience, lure fish can work but if your fishing for a 10 hour session, its to tiring and defiantly not as good as lives. perch and Zander sometimes want to eye up there bait before striking, if you are lure fishing the lure is past them before they have decided to strike.

I never deep hook any fish as circle hooks don't. You don't strike you just wait for the float to go under count to 10 and wind the line tight.

Un hooking is fast and the fish is back in the water before it knows what has happened, I will never use a treble again.

I always lip hook.

I don't go with the anti live bait feeling, I fish openly with live bait and have never had any comments from the public, most that ask are interested and seem to accept that you can use a small fish to catch a big fish. I think there is very little anti live baiting feeling among the general population. most aren’t aware that it happens and when they do see it is not something that makes them angry or anti, in fact just the opposite, I find there interest is intensified and they wont to know more about the fish you catch.

We should not hide our sport in any form, its how we fish and have fished for years, its nothing to be ashamed of.

I think the none anglers of this world have little or no options on fishing methods nearly all have tried some sort of fishing, even if it’s in rock pools at the seaside or catching minnows with a net in a small stream. And most think fishing is a good past time and a healthy way to spend a day, many express a wish to take up angling at sometime in the future, I really think we should not worry about antis, I have been fishing for 39 years and have never meet an anti or had a negative comment from the general public, only interest and positive comments.

I have taught both my son and daughter how to live bait; both are competent at 10 and 13 to fish for predators. Neither has expressed an opinion that they don’t like live baiting, it comes naturally.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

I agree that we should not be ashamed of any of our fishing techniques. I also agree that the general public see anging in a favourable light and that the small hard core of antis will be anti whatever we say or do.

But (isn't there always a but?)

It only takes a few antis or "animal lovers" or "tree huggers" call them what you will, to worm there way onto a local council committee or some other policy making group and they can have a disproportionate effect. See recent threads about fishing bans based on inaccurate evidence from a swan sanctuary for example, or the livebait ban in Scotland for another one.

That's the problem, angling may not suffer from a direct attack but may suffer the death of a thousand petty cuts and restrictions.

For anglers themselves to condemn a perfectly legal and acceptable (to many) practice just feeds ammunition into the hands of these minorities.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Guest Rabbit
Being truthful and realistic is a decent approach, whether dealing with antis or squeamish anglers.

have found is that we dont get anywhere by using evasive terms to describe what we do, it tends to fool no one.

Far too much for me to respond to ,sarcastic, patronising ? No wayi

However dealing with the antis and squeamish anglers? what by posting on an ANGLING website regarding bashing the creatures head in!! When you should know better given all the experience you have in the media and so on

Sounds like a huge gaff...which you probably have :D and in hindsight you would probably not describe that to a minister or on TV, I certainly hope not anyway, as you would be doing a fine job for the anti angling lobby.

Nowt to do with being squeamish, just careful angling practise would ensure a safe unhooking, and live return. Better you use your knowledge in posting that I would think.

I don't think you will get a lot on here eating the perch they catch, especially the ones over 8" but I bet the E.E Angling Association will be this very minute be feeling they are absolved of all their eating of our coarse fish.

'Doin a great job :thumbs: