live baiting for perch

oneillbox

I have eaten most type’s pf course fish. I have no problem with taking one or two home to eat.

I have not done so for about 6 years but might do at some time in the future.

Having said that I was in Dorset last week and enjoyed some nice mackerel and Pollack that I caught.

It is perhaps a question of wear you were raised

I am a Warwickshire country boy and fish do get eaten around these parts. Always have always will.

I guess if you live in the center of Birmingham you might not have the same local culture or habits, the fish out of gas street basin in Birmingham would not seem quite so Appling!!

I know guys who regularly take a pike, perch or Zander for the pot, they are very good fishermen with the utmost respect for there rivers and fish welfare. It’s a question of balance. For each fish removed another fish will benefit and if you take a predator the silver fish etc also benefit to a small degree. (only in the fact that there will be some silver fish that do not get eaten by said dispacted preditor, I am not saying remove preditors for the sake of other fish, I am not a match angler) The natural predators of fish in the UK are far less than say in Sweden, were mans impact on the environment is minimal. Wolvine, bear, otter and the hunting birds all take pike, perch, Zander (and all other types of fish) here in uk we have lost the natural balance as most of the fish predators have been eliminated by man.

I think getting upset over a few fish being taken by a small minority of people is un necessary.

What I think is that those that eat fish should just carry on and those that don't should also carry on. We never had any issues before the internet and chat rooms, the ones that did not take fish lived in ignorance and those that did enjoyed a nice fish supper form time to time.

It’s the same as rabbiting. The people that like to think of them as fluffy bunny’s don't want to see them killed and eaten, those that see a rabbit and think rabbit in mustard sauce have seen them that way all there life and won’t change.

I suggest both camps agreed to disagree I know what ever is said will not change my view and I am sure that is Visa versa.

This Live baiting topic seems to have got out of control.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blimey some detail in there which I wont bore with a long winded reply. Suffice to say, and I would like a brief reply please :rolleyes:

What if every angler thought as you do and took just one for the pot?

it's my birthday and I am off to trot a stick float down the Mill Avon, I will release all I catch, as I hope to re-catch them on my next birthday :D

God willing.

Nice to know you've read the detail for a change Neil. :P

What if??? Life is full of hypothetical questions Neil. We'll never know the answer to them all because they are hypothetical.

The fact is, some do and some don't, it will always be that way.

It seems that I was premature in saying that you'd read all the details. If you look back, I did mention the word "sustainable". In the very unlikely event of everyone taking fish home then it would eventually become unsustainable, and I wouldn't do it. (Though some fisheries and the fish they contain would benefit from the reduction in stocks).

Anyway I wish you a Happy Birthday (how many is it now? :wheelchair:), and hope the fishing goes well for you. :thumbs:

Bluerinse, don't worry about the topic getting out of hand, this one is very polite compared to some of the others we've had. :o

Neil and I disagree about most things, but there is no malice intended (on my part anyway ;) ). The one thing we have in common is the welfare of angling, fish and fisheries, we just have some opposing views on how it can be achieved. (Mine are right by the way :D )

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest Rabbit

I didn't go in the end John, just too hot, took Jack (springer) for a walk along the river, and had a really nice birthday meal with Maria and three sons.

i think we have exhausted our duelling 'til the next time, and I have to accept tht we are too old and stubborn to change our views on anything :rolleyes:

Hopefully will do some trotting early in the morning hangover permitting, and then take the missus for a drive to the Wye at beautiful Symonds Yat for a meall, and while I am there check out a new stretch that has become available....happy days..

Top man you are John (Wine talk) :D

Over 90% of the Perch I catch are returned unharmed right away. The few i keep for the table are cleanly killed ............... I would thank those who feel that they are better placed to dictate what I should be eating then I am myself to mind their own business.

Emma, Our resident alternative comedian (Rabbit) has been lecturing us on what we should not eat for years now, and most of us are now immune.

Rabbit forfeited all claim to credibility as a politically correct dietary advisor when he admitted on another thread that he ate luncheon meat, direct from the tin, whilst barbel fishing. He makes great play of being "evolved" and says he has "moved on" from being an atavistic piscivore.

...but what has he moved on to? Tinned luncheon meat includes "mechanically recovered meat" ie the sweepings of the meat factory floor. The meat itself is almost certainly the product of factory farmed animals. So Rabbit has "moved on" from being a piscivore to the position of scavenger. That's progress?

There is a very important point about anglers retaining the right to eat part of their catch.

The perception of most non-anglers is that catching fish to eat occupies morally higher ground than catching fish just to put them back. That is the view of the Green Party, the do-gooders, the chattering classes, and the politicians that bend to their whims. It is also the view of Joe Public (look at how popular Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's programmes are)

Just look at the picture in Germany, where if you catch fish, you MUST kill them and take them home (OK there are a few caveats, but that is the general principle)

Catch and return is looked upon as unacceptable. That is the result of the Green Party being able to dictate the rules. DON'T say it couldn't happen here. All it takes is a hung parliament with the Greens holding the balance of power, and demanding certain laws in exchange for their support..

Next thing you know, catch and release will be illegal. That's OK in Germany, they are still allowed to fish for the pot. ....but supposing Rabbit had his way, and we had given up that option? British anglers would have nowhere to go.

I said all that last year, and Rabbit said he didn't know about angling in Germany and refused to believe it.

However, since then, we had a debate about angling in Germany, in which Rabbit took part - so he has no excuse this time.

We do need to retain the right (note, I said RETAIN - that is not the same as everyone exercising that right) to take fish to eat. To adopt a policy of "I return fish so I am fireproof from the anti-angling lobby" is not only short-sighted, it smacks of self-indulgent self-righteousness.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Thank you for that interesting response Vagabond. I lived in Germany for a total of 6 years in 2 seperate 'stints' and got enthusiastically into the match circuit. There has to be something exciting about catching lots of bream and roach so the competitive element made up in terms of excitement what the fish lacked. We did return our catch at the end of a match, it never occured to me that there was a law against this and my German clum mates never mentioned it. After pleasure/practice sesions almost everything went back too. The exception was, one Xmas I went wholly 'native' and served an Xmas eve traditional East European dish ' Karpfen in Meerrettich-Sauce'. (Carp in Horseradish sauce), and yes I caught and killed the Carp myself. I must report that it was dissapointing, as Mick (Crocodile) Dundee said, 'you can live on it. but it tastes like ****'. The best bit was the sauce.

I had imagined that Rabbit was a vegan, (and an angler who soley uses artifical lures) for only they can claim any moral or ethical high groud (apart from the fact that if we were all veggie of vegan, then we would have no wildlife in this country at least). How can anyone who eats intensively (miserty food) reared meat have any business saying we shouldn't knock the odd wild fish on the head?

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

served an Xmas eve traditional East European dish ' Karpfen in Meerrettich-Sauce'. (Carp in Horseradish sauce), and yes I caught and killed the Carp myself.

We tried carp in Roumania a few years back, (at a state banquet) and even so found it unpalatable. We have come to the conclusion that for us ("us" being our family of three generations) the only British cyprinids worth eating are minnows and gudgeon. (Minnow Tansy a la Izaak Walton and A Feast of Gudgeons a la Fred J Taylor). You probably need to be brought up on the Continent to appreciate carp and tench.

Perch, Zander and salmonids are delicious of course.

There is no reason whatsoever why coarse fish stocks cannot be managed so that some of them are eaten - the French eat stacks of carp - and where do British carp anglers go to catch big carp? Why, France of course!

When were you in Germany?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I fished a canal in Shropshire yesterday, got the pole out of its case for the first tine in 3 years. caught a good few gudgeoan and thought about a 'feast/fry up, but as it turned out they all went back execpt the one which went out as a livebait!

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

A couple of interesting things posted here while Ive been away.

The hypocrisey thing is dead on.While Emma is totally right that its far more humane to have a correct tool for killing a fish you just cant get awayfrom the fact that bashing one over the head makes most people (angler or not) shudder.

Anderoo asked about the discretion point.Thinking about this I realised that a point made by some one else really affected this,Yes I agree to that most of the GP accept the use of a fish for bait....its some other anglers that dont!

A lot of prople must be thinking that this topic has gone seriously off topic......I dont as it all very much revolves around two major angling moral issues,is it ok to kill fish and do fish feel pain. I can only see the same two possible answers for both,YES or No once youve made your opinion then you really need to stick to it and above all be consistant.No good saying that killing fish is totally wrong but its ok to kill them for bait! No way can you say that its cruel to livebait as sticking in the hooks will hurt them but its ok to stick hooks in there mouths to catch them in the first place!

I said it a long way back you need to make these decissions early in your angling career.And as some one else said if you have problems with any of these things then maybe angling (if you want to be consistantly true to your beliefs) isnt for you.

+1 I think that sums up my views on it.

As for eating fish, I don't do it myself as I can't be bothered, far easier to buy prepared fish from a decent fishmongers etc.

Also think in this day and age it's not particularly 'sustainable' on rivers

Guest Rabbit
Emma, Our resident alternative comedian (Rabbit) has been lecturing us on what we should not eat for years now, and most of us are now immune.

Rabbit forfeited all claim to credibility as a politically correct dietary advisor when he admitted on another thread that he ate luncheon meat, direct from the tin, whilst barbel fishing. He makes great play of being "evolved" and says he has "moved on" from being an atavistic piscivore.

...but what has he moved on to? Tinned luncheon meat includes "mechanically recovered meat" ie the sweepings of the meat factory floor. The meat itself is almost certainly the product of factory farmed animals. So Rabbit has "moved on" from being a piscivore to the position of scavenger. That's progress?

There is a very important point about anglers retaining the right to eat part of their catch.

The perception of most non-anglers is that catching fish to eat occupies morally higher ground than catching fish just to put them back. That is the view of the Green Party, the do-gooders, the chattering classes, and the politicians that bend to their whims. It is also the view of Joe Public (look at how popular Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's programmes are)

Just look at the picture in Germany, where if you catch fish, you MUST kill them and take them home (OK there are a few caveats, but that is the general principle)

Catch and return is looked upon as unacceptable. That is the result of the Green Party being able to dictate the rules. DON'T say it couldn't happen here. All it takes is a hung parliament with the Greens holding the balance of power, and demanding certain laws in exchange for their support..

Next thing you know, catch and release will be illegal. That's OK in Germany, they are still allowed to fish for the pot. ....but supposing Rabbit had his way, and we had given up that option? British anglers would have nowhere to go.

I said all that last year, and Rabbit said he didn't know about angling in Germany and refused to believe it.

However, since then, we had a debate about angling in Germany, in which Rabbit took part - so he has no excuse this time.

We do need to retain the right (note, I said RETAIN - that is not the same as everyone exercising that right) to take fish to eat. To adopt a policy of "I return fish so I am fireproof from the anti-angling lobby" is not only short-sighted, it smacks of self-indulgent self-righteousness.

Blimey such vitriol from you Vagabond, and all because I may have an opinion that differs from yours. To be fair I don't really follow what you are accusing me of, luncheon meat and Germany, Am I responsible for Spam and the War??

But I appreciate you likening me to an alternative comedian, I would have thought the residents in an Old Folks Home consider Bob Monkhouse 'alternative'

Sort of sums up the whole confusing post :o

Edited by Rabbit

Guest Rabbit
I had imagined that Rabbit was a vegan, (and an angler who soley uses artifical lures) for only they can claim any moral or ethical high groud (apart from the fact that if we were all veggie of vegan, then we would have no wildlife in this country at least). How can anyone who eats intensively (miserty food) reared meat have any business saying we shouldn't knock the odd wild fish on the head?

Oh dear, you could not be further from the truth, neither a vegan veggie, wear a beard or sandles. You see if I have an attitude that does not concur with some regarding eating coarse fish or live baiting, the old trick is to daub me with being an 'anti' / tree hugger / communist / gay / , the list is endless,.

I have endured all that and despite a few wobbles I am still here, and enjoying my fishing the same way as the vast majority of anglers. I suggest you walk the banks and straw poll real anglers and ask them if they agree with killing and eating the very fish they seek to protect. if you did I suspect that your views and your friends on here would be in the minority, so just who you are suppose to represent...? I do not know, is it Hugh Fearnley whatever Delia Smith perhaps... but it is not the bastions of our sport that I know of.