live baiting for perch

oneillbox

Fuel is overtaxed, same with food, Alcohol and many things. Smokers aren't victimised by tax. I think non- smokers were treated unfairly by smokers for a lot longer. Not that I see my opinion as unfair. It was a just my view, it was also an honest question. What is unfair about their current situation? If you think the non-smokers attitude is patronising and high and mighty, why do you think that could be? We didn't exactly enjoy the times we came out of pubs with tickly throats and smelly clothes. A lot of non-smokers see the smokers view in the same light, because they seem to think they and their habits are more important than the general publics health. I honestly can't see how it is acceptable to poison a public place where people should have the right to enjoy without the risk on their health. Please enlighten me.

lol @ smokers not being victimised by tax!

Anyone doing any livebaiting at the weekend?

I lure fished last weekend and didn't get a touch....as usual. c**p compared to lives.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been watching this thread for some time and now wanted to put in my four pennyworth. I would like to start by say that these are my opinions and I am not trying to make others change their views of call other opinions wrong. I also accept that my opinions may be inconsistent at times. That is because they reflect my experience and upbringing as a white middle aged male who was bought up and lived almost exclusively in urban or sub urban environments, where like most people bought up this way, I would happily eat meat but would be horrified if I was expected to kill the animal myself (inconsistent I know).

I think that the two issues (live baiting and taking fish for the pot) and linked but are separate. Live baiting (which I have done but don’t do now) usually involves taking a small fish either bleak small roach or some such and using as bait to catch a predator. I don’t find I have a problem with this as long as it is carried out in the manner that Budgie outlined early in the thread.

Now I have eaten perch when I was in France and it was lovely. But lets face it to make it worth eating it has got to be quite big i.e. over two pounds otherwise there is not enough flesh on it to make a meal. To be honest I wince at the thought of a two pound plus perch being knocked on the head to eat. I know people who have done it but could not do it myself and would not want to do it. When I went sea fishing I caught a 6 to 7 pound female thornback ray, I was delighted. The others on the boat offered to skin it and prepare for me to take the wings home. I have eaten skate before and it is lovely but I chose to put the fish back and felt happy to do that. This reflects my coarse fishing background as well as my own beliefs generally.

I go fishing to satisfy a hunting lust passed down through my genes but which I have satisfied once I have caught the thing. Then upbringing takes over and I want to care for the fish and put it back so it survives the process and swims away, especially if it is a big fish. Although when I was catching mackerel I thought nothing of putting them in the bucket to be used as bait (Inconsistent again)

I think that most coarse anglers are like this in their confused state where living as we do are separated from the life and death realities of nature. Most coarse anglers have been bought up on a care for the fish mentality which I fully agree with. Ok my views may be inconsistent but so are all people when it comes to personal morality. I enjoy my fishing and don’t want to be told how when or why to enjoy it I just want to be left alone to enjoy it.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I enjoy my fishing and don’t want to be told how when or why to enjoy it I just want to be left alone to enjoy it.

My sentiments exactly Peter.

Though in some cases replace "inconsistency", with hypocrisy.

It's down to the individual and the water he fishes.

I will take you up on on point though. I have eaten perch several times over the years, and never had to take a fish much over a pound. Plenty of meat on it.

How big is a portion to you? :o

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest tigger
I have eaten perch several times over the years, and never had to take a fish much over a pound. Plenty of meat on it.

John.

By the time you've fillited a Perch of 1lb there's bugger all meat even if you don't have large portions of food. I was catching Perch to just over 1lb last night and you would need to kill at least four to make it worth while just for two people.

Edited by tigger

By the time you've fillited a Perch of 1lb there's bugger all meat left even if you don't have large portions of food. I was catching Perch to just over 1lb last night and you would need to kill at least four to make it worth while just for two people.

If we all ate like you then I could probably see how taking fish for the pot might be unsustainable. :o:rolleyes:

Cow Pie anyone??? :bb:

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I will take you up on on point though. I have eaten perch several times over the years, and never had to take a fish much over a pound. Plenty of meat on it.

John.

Maybe i am just a hungry person :D

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Guest tigger
If we all ate like you then I could probably see how taking fish for the pot might be unsustainable. :o:rolleyes:

Cow Pie anyone??? :bb:

John.

Yeah beefs good and sustainable :P

a 1lb pearch is more than big enough, the trick is not to fillet it but cook it whole and debone it after its cooked, loads of meat.

I have had a very pleasent meal with 3 x 1/2 peaqrch sevred whole on the pleate. I have also had smoked perch of all sizes. (including some real tiddlers, these having been netted in the baltic sea and then smoked by the fisherman before selling them on the side of the road, they are to die for you just pull it apart with your fingers and have a chunk of bread with it.

Latvian fast food!!

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

I don't think many of your arguements are wrong. My issue is one of tone, and the inflamatory nature of some remarks.

With regards to hypocracy, here's an example: Somebody who comments about smokers poisoning other people with their smoke in public, but then drive around in a car.

I am not condoning smoking in public places. I agree with the smoking ban in pubs and am happy with it, so long as there is decent and sufficient area outside for people to smoke. Just as I think roads should be properly surfaced for people to drive upon.

I hope I leave you enlightened. :)

I think tone is an audio thing. If you get a negative, condescending, high and mighty tone from written words then thats is how you have adapted it in your mind whilst reading. It is how you've chosen to see things, even if unconsiously. I find that I get different emotions from writing depending on what mood i'm in.