live baiting for perch

oneillbox

Ah I see. I'm not trying to be pedantic, but when the word "cruel" is used, it usually implies that pain or suffering is involved. I've explained my beliefs on that subject in an earlier post.

To chose to kill or not is a personal thing, subject to the water concerned. I don't think anyone on here has suggested that they kill fish just for the fun of it.

As you say in your other post, killing for the pot does (in some minds) justify the catching of fish in the first place.

The taking of fish to eat is not illegal, but different areas of the country have different rules in regard to size, species etc. Controlled waters have their own rules in this regard.

John.

Ok. I live in Gorleston Norfolk so I fish around the Broads, none of the rivers or broads are private. If it isn't illegal then surely it is down to personal preference. If it became a problem then it would be regulated and made illegal so I don't think there is anything to worry about.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. I live in Gorleston Norfolk so I fish around the Broads, none of the rivers or broads are private. If it isn't illegal then surely it is down to personal preference. If it became a problem then it would be regulated and made illegal so I don't think there is anything to worry about.

I can't speak for your area, but there will be rules and reg's concerning the number, size and species, that can be taken.

It's a throw back to when we had several River boards, each controlling their own area. They each issued a licence to fish that area. If you wanted to fish somewhere covered by another board, you had to buy another licence. When I used to match fish, at the start of the season I used to have to buy Yorkshire, Trent, Lincs, licences, just to be able to fish all the matches. Each area had it's own rules, (Yorkshire used to start 2 weeks before the rest of the country), these rules have never been amended to cover the whole country, so there is some confusion as to what you are allowed to do in any particular region.

There is a web site that explains it region by region, but I can't find at the moment. (No doubt someone will have it bookmarked and post it).

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I can't speak for your area, but there will be rules and reg's concerning the number, size and species, that can be taken.

It's a throw back to when we had several River boards, each controlling their own area. They each issued a licence to fish that area. If you wanted to fish somewhere covered by another board, you had to buy another licence. When I used to match fish, at the start of the season I used to have to buy Yorkshire, Trent, Lincs, licences, just to be able to fish all the matches. Each area had it's own rules, (Yorkshire used to start 2 weeks before the rest of the country), these rules have never been amended to cover the whole country, so there is some confusion as to what you are allowed to do in any particular region.

There is a web site that explains it region by region, but I can't find at the moment. (No doubt someone will have it bookmarked and post it).

John.

Ok ta very much. It must have been quite expensive buying all the seperate licenses.

Guest Rabbit

Yes, precisley 'Gudgeon'...I always think that when one's 'typos' get picked up on during online debates then the 'opposition' is truly scraping the bottom of the barrel.

The comment about eating the 'Gudgeon' was a light hearted and offhand as a follow up to our recent discussion, however it appears that you take yourself too seriously to appreciate a little humour.

Manybe your ontology how anglers coduct themelves has been shook up? The glaring difference within the 'eat, or not to eat' debate is that you are arguing that those of us who kill some fish are wrong, (even 'mind blowingly stupid!) whearas we fish eaters dont imply that you are wrong to release all that you catch, and leave it as a matter of individual conscience.

Perhaps it is, as someone has pointed out, a regional/cultural thing, in 'my world' it is not

Not a 'typo' more like an error with the old grammar Mucker!! Still a bit confused as to who those ''themelves'' are though :o

Anyway apologies for not seeing the funny side of you deciding not to eat the poor gudgeon merely to impale one for live bait. I must admit your humour is probably a bit to sophisticated foe me, I missed the joke about the smashing the creatures head in too!! Doh!!

Still, moving on, you apparently are not willing to see reality when it comes to whether ordinary anglers are prepared not to eat their catch. The truth is the majority of anglers would not, except for a few die hards like you and Gozzer, the overall thinking would be the same as yours truly. there would be a few reasons for not eating what we catch, sustainability, and health issues would be I think top of the list. Look at Poland, the rivers have been emptied of coarse fish, and we all know why? So as long as the majority think as I do, then I am confident common sense will prevail and our river will continue to flourish.

Edited by Rabbit

I don't know about Poland ( I saw one tv program were they caught very little and it was put down to fish being taken, this however is not really conclusive evedence that there rivers and lakes are empty, if they are how come there are so many polish fishermen ?) but I lived in Latvia for 7 years, all fish caught are eaten regardless of type and size.

The rivers and lakes however are full of fish. Angling is a mayor past time with most males owning a rod or two, some men actually make there living fishing with rod and line and selling there catch in local street markets.

I lived in Riga which has a population of 1.5 million, the main river (River Dagava) flows through the center (has some great cat fish by the way). There are many smaller rivers that feed into this and lots of natural lakes. All are heavily fished even in winter when ice fishing takes over.

Now I don’t know why but all the waterways have a lot of fish and some good size fish from time to time. I also know that having fish out in the Latvian countryside that the fishing is comparable to the waters close to Riga.

No explanation I am afraid but though it was worth pointing out

I think its also worth noting that the French eat almost all fresh water fish with no apparent decline in fish stocks

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Neil, where do you get your info from?

http://www.meetpoland.com/fishing-in-polan...-in-poland.html

http://polandpoland.com/fishing_poland.html

Poland is a great location for anyone interested in fishing, and is increasingly becoming recognised as one of the best angling destinations in Europe. The vast variety and quality of fishing in Poland makes it a wonderful place for anyone interesting in either a serious and challenging fishing holiday or as a fun add-on to a more varied outdoor vacation. Some of the best fishing in Poland is in Lubuskie in the far west of Poland. Many ponds and lakes there contain large carp and giant catfish.

Poland is a largely undiscovered fishing and anglers paradise. With countless lakes, rivers and streams, Poland is an ideal angling country. Fish which can be caught in Poland include: pike, carp, catfish, eels, shad, perch-pike, perch, bream, barbel, chub, trout, and rudd.

It doesn't mention gudgeon though.

I tried to google a recipe for you, but failed, and I can't find my Mrs Beeton. :(

You've been plugging this for ages now, despite the polls we've run, (which you insist doesn't include 'normal' anglers). I know some are a bit odd on here, but I wouldn't call them abnormal.

You don't like livebaiting, or taking a fish for the pot, that's fine. I don't like bolt rigs, commercials and electronic alarms, so I don't use them.

May I suggest that you don't do the things you don't like, and leave the rest of us 'barbarians' to do our thing.

John (Your "Top Man" :P ).

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Still, moving on, you apparently are not willing to see reality when it comes to whether ordinary anglers are prepared not to eat their catch. The truth is the majority of anglers would not

unfortunatly, when we had a poll on here, to see whether ordinary anglers wanted to retain their right to eat their catch,the overwhelminging majority voted "yes".

they DID want to retain their right to eat their catch.

It doesn't mention gudgeon though.

I tried to google a recipe for you, but failed, and I can't find my Mrs Beeton. :(

I think you will find that a goujon (as in gojon of place breaded fried and served with Tartar sauce)

Originally was Gudgeon.

These were breaded and fried similar to whitebait head and all. Goujon being the French for Gudgeon. (someone might want to correct me if i am wrong)

Goujon is now used to mean any Gudgeon size piece of white fish.

Apparently they are very tasty, if my memory serves me right I think the observer book of British fresh water fish makes reference to there good eating.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

This conversation has moved wildly off topic!

I suggest we concentrate on the important matters:

Is it or is it not acceptable to warm a maggot in ones mouth?

Rich

This conversation has moved wildly off topic!

I suggest we concentrate on the important matters:

Is it or is it not acceptable to warm a maggot in ones mouth?

Rich

Acceptable of course!

I've tried under my arm but kept losing the little buggers. :angry:

John.