Does The Otter Deserve Such Bad Press?

Anglers' Net

Phone, one difference is that US anglers do normal fishing, i.e. they kill and eat a lot of what they catch. So numbers are being reduced because of the increase in predators...probably why there are s many re-stocking programmes in the Ozarks!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Worms,

Absolutely ! In fact white bass hybrids are nonindigenous and are heavily stocked on a "put and take" formula.

There is really no way to compare otter issues in the UK with otter issues in the US. My bad really.

Phone

So when do i get off probation :hypocrite: , i'm out the house 14 hrs a day, posting doesn't seem to work on my phone and by the time i get in i have to wait until the next day before anything goes up. :bleh::)

Seems to be the common belief that carp are the main/only cause of the lack of native species. I see some people have the opinion of them i do the otters. There's no doubt otters are causing some people problems, even though the severn hydro project and water abstraction doesn't affect me, i won't openly support them because i like renewable energy and need to drink.

Sewage, even when treated, is responsible for changing the sex of male roach and probably a lot more, which i thought was quite common knowledge and yet i rarely hear anyone speaking up about it. Of course when sewage is released and there's a direct kill there is uproar and rightly so, but still nothing is done about it.

I can only talk from experience of my local river and when i used to fish matches quite a few years ago i know they used to dispatch the pike, they may as well of been taking large pike out with one hand and chucking a few thousand pike fry in with the other, while at the same time moaning about the weights being not like they used to be.

More worryingly even now they won't let the EE's fish for anything other than pike.

Here's my thoughts...

How is that we are so sure that we know the pros and cons of having Otters reintroduced, when we've only recently done a U-turn on widely accepted control methods directed at Pike?

I don't think anyone can be sure of anything to be honest, yes otters have been around for thousands of years and not eaten all the fish but the environments changed now and its certainly not been like this before.

I hope i remember about this thread in the distant future and its still here, it may amuse me either way :)

After your 15th post you move from new member (posts require approving) to full member (posts show up immediately).

The phone should work. Post in the tech section to ask about that.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

So when do i get off probation :hypocrite: , i'm out the house 14 hrs a day, posting doesn't seem to work on my phone and by the time i get in i have to wait until the next day before anything goes up. :bleh::)

Seems to be the common belief that carp are the main/only cause of the lack of native species. I see some people have the opinion of them i do the otters. There's no doubt otters are causing some people problems, even though the severn hydro project and water abstraction doesn't affect me, i won't openly support them because i like renewable energy and need to drink.

Sewage, even when treated, is responsible for changing the sex of male roach and probably a lot more, which i thought was quite common knowledge and yet i rarely hear anyone speaking up about it. Of course when sewage is released and there's a direct kill there is uproar and rightly so, but still nothing is done about it.

I can only talk from experience of my local river and when i used to fish matches quite a few years ago i know they used to dispatch the pike, they may as well of been taking large pike out with one hand and chucking a few thousand pike fry in with the other, while at the same time moaning about the weights being not like they used to be.

More worryingly even now they won't let the EE's fish for anything other than pike.

I don't think anyone can be sure of anything to be honest, yes otters have been around for thousands of years and not eaten all the fish but the environments changed now and its certainly not been like this before.

I hope i remember about this thread in the distant future and its still here, it may amuse me either way :)

here's one for you to digest, hope you enjoy, it puts some conspiricies to bed. http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/other-sport/norfolk-angling/worrying_environment_agency_findings_involving_roach_in_river_wensum_1_1202562 :fishing1:

quote: None of this will impress the cormorant and otter culling campaigners, one of whom has asserted that two ponds adjacent to the River Wensum upstream of Fakenham Mill hold roach and dace “in abundance”, while the nearby river remains almost barren.

Edited by barry luxton
  • Like 2

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

here's one for you to digest, hope you enjoy, it puts some conspiricies to bed. http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/other-sport/norfolk-angling/worrying_environment_agency_findings_involving_roach_in_river_wensum_1_1202562 :fishing1:

quote: None of this will impress the cormorant and otter culling campaigners, one of whom has asserted that two ponds adjacent to the River Wensum upstream of Fakenham Mill hold roach and dace “in abundance”, while the nearby river remains almost barren.

Oi, Barry, don't wear that one out...it's for special occasions :busted_cop:

• Like 1

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

yes, both you and i know where it was hiding as well. in our special place. hahaha.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Can I please ask other posters what effect they believe otters have had on their fishing.

Hard to say. A lot of the bigger chub have not been caught this season on the river, however match weights are touching nearly 20lb of silvers. I do enjoy seeing an otter though I must admit.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

After your 15th post you move from new member (posts require approving) to full member (posts show up immediately).

The phone should work. Post in the tech section to ask about that.

Thanks, for that

Thanks for that.

I'm unsure how anyone from either point of view can be pleased about this. Is it not saying in as many words, that the river thats been straightened, dredged and turned into a storm drain you've been fishing for the past 60 years had artificially high fish stocks due to the amount of crap we put in it. However we took that away now and the chances of getting the natural river back are 0.

Look at the picture on the link.

Thanks, for that

Thanks for that.

I'm unsure how anyone from either point of view can be pleased about this. Is it not saying in as many words, that the river thats been straightened, dredged and turned into a storm drain you've been fishing for the past 60 years had artificially high fish stocks due to the amount of crap we put in it. However we took that away now and the chances of getting the natural river back are 0.

Look at the picture on the link.

Good news indeed re the perception of the dasterdley otter, gooseander, cormorant. I note on yet another pred topic, no dissention re the introduced zander. so it's good news all round for the apex fish killers.

Was that a bit of a swerve detected regarding all the work the e a do to make the river nice for all the licence fee payers, then i discounted that with your hand fed argument. Well done you. :)

The storm drain thingy is definatly another delicious topic to explore all the work that the e a and the trust share to make it alls well. Blimey it was only last year the trust joined the campaign for every one in the uk to go on water meters due to shortages, you just can't make it up. :bigemo_harabe_net-163: