OK, I don't want to become "the complete" Carp fisherman....

Old geezer

But I do enjoy my days at the local Fisheries..........

I want to become a better carp fisherman, but don't want the hassle of carting tons of gear about. I have one good carp rod, but don't want to find myself setting three up on a spod. A simple rodrest, front and rear, with my rod, my shimano and simple end tackle will be my aim. Lightest line and hook length and a fun day fishing. Does anyone understand what I mean?

I may even settle for my Attura Carbon match with a simple float rig.........

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional :-)

OG,

You will catch perhaps 10 - 15% fewer fish my way. Nevertheless here it is. . . . . . . . . . Tie hook to mainline. The end.

With the right "bait of the day" you will catch 10 - 15% more fish.

Phone

Guest 1lastcast

Keeping it simple if you have to carp fishing is almost like proper fishing :rolleyes: So why don't you fish the margins with a float set up? Your match rod might not be up to that but your carp rod might, but will possibly be a bit too heavy. What you might consider is an all through action rod that will reduce snapping or hook pulls. Think of an Avon type rod, and load with a minimum of 8lbs b.s on the reel. As you will appreciate in the warmer spring days the Carp come very close to the margins, and can be caught easily on the float.

If you want something different consider floating crust / biscuit, heart stopping stuff, a 1.5 t.c Barbel rod would be ideal. Feed the 'target' are with Chum Mixer and fish crust or biscuit/ imitation on the hook.

Edited by 1lastcast

I have a 6m margin pole that i can use for floating baits. The match rod easily handles carp up to 6-10 lb. The carp rod could be used for fish further out.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional :-)

Two of the most successful carp anglers I have known have used the single-rod stalking approach to deadly effect. The emphasis is not just just using floating biats but also creeping up on carp with the minimal of gear. They are so quiet you hardly know they're there. One of them I used to see on a hard, heavily fished Hants. pit and whenever I tench fished certain swims he was often about. Our standing joke was that if I saw him I would offer to photograph his fish for him and that's what usually happened within an hour - we're not talking tiddlers but big carp. Both of these anglers had catch rates better than one every two hours whereas the typical carp anglers on the same lakes were more like 30 rod hours per fish. They did it right, find em, don't frighten em, feed em, fish for em, foto em, rather than the usual spod a load of bait in and frighten the light out of half the fish population. They'd both carry a bag of floaters, rod, reel, unhooking mat, camera, landing net and small bag of hooks and bits and that was it.

• Like 1

Blimey, I agree with all on here!

As you know, I very rarely fish carp pools but, on occasion I accompany a friend and his three children as 'tackle setter upper and general un-tangler'.

I do however take a rod and reel as one of the pools has some rudd in...I like fishing for rudd!...anyway, I usually take an 11' split cane rod and one of my homemade pins and, when the kids are bored or being wiped down at the end of the session I sometimes stalk the margins for some carp. To be honest, I usually catch more than the rod-pod brigade who've been there all day! Ok, not big but an 8lb carp on a 'pin and an Allcock's "Wizard" brings a smile to my face!

All done in the line of research of course, I like to see that the otters have sufficient food.

Phone, if you keep coming up with posts that I agree with I'm going to Ask Elton to bar you.... :busted_cop:

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

bud;

ive never fished for carp with a bit alarm or anything more complicated than a waggler or very simple ledger rig! I think the most complicated rig ive ever used is a polaris float! LOL!

in most modern fisheries there simply isn't the need to be casting hundreds of yards to the opposite bank to catch a decent carp or two!

I can "carp" fish with nothing more than a fanny pack and a collapsible landing net!! and even on those fisheries that are mainly fished in the usual "carp" manner there is usually a swim or two tucked away where the water will be shallow or the reed beds are accessible...and those are havens for lurking carp!!

ive hooked good double figure fish at my feet at my local lakes! using sneaky float methods, floating baits and also just meat being free lined and watching the line tighten on a bite!

one f the fave methods uses something like this:

vision_strike_rite.jpg

I just have my hook, and one of these at about the depth of the margin or reed bed im fishing; hook on a lump of luncheon meat and jobs done!! basically the weight of the meat is enough to underarm cast right into the area you wish to fish; it will literally drag the float along with it as it sinks....so its possible to lay bait right into reed beds and in amongst snags and all manner of sneaky places you simply wouldn't dream of casting normally!

then just sit back and watch the action!!

this explains the method though the video itself cuts short of the final action because the guy uploading it didn't have enough limit to upload it all :( (and yes that is me!)

im with you...no need to be lugging all manner of kit about on a barrow!! :)

Edited by kirisute