OK, I don't want to become "the complete" Carp fisherman....

Old geezer

Guest 1lastcast

Seriously; they won't and are not designed to replace a "full size" rod.

Having said that I've caught everything from roach and dace through to double figure carp! Pike, chub, trout....in the US there are bass, walleye, bluegills and even catfish being caught happily! Even the world record 21lb carp!

Most of them on YouTube vids!

Are they any good?

They are shockingly impressive....truly! I wouldn't say that if I didn't have faith in them and know what they can do!

I push them to and beyond breaking point....but I wouldn't have any fear whatsoever of pulling one out at any fishing venue and trying my luck.

For keeping in the car, taking on holiday with you, or just for fun they are brilliant. And I would happily offer anybody a days fishing with me to see just how much fun they can be!!

I am at a loss as to how the hell those toy rods can be really classed as anything but a gimmick. Matching rods to venue/species is fairly important, some would say crucial, I would think twice about using these for anything tbh. Yea I know you say they can be 'fun' but for who?

I am all for travelling light as you do, I use a pouch, and carry a rod net and mat for sitting on mainly, but the rod would at least be up to the task if I was to hook into anything that was intent on snagging me in far bank tree roots, pen rods? err no.

Agreed you might be able to 'fight' a carp to exhaustion in a commercial, but each to their own I suppose.

Gimmick, come on own up. :mellow:

Guest 1lastcast

That is amazing. Less is more eh?

Not in this case.

I really think you had some sound advice on rods, and you have gone down this route...crazy.

You won't become a better "carp fisherman" by fishing commercials, all you will gain from the experience is how to set up rigs. Watercraft and commercials is not really something I associate.

100%

Plus one on the above.

I wouldn't buy a pen rod (I had two given to me as a gift) purely for the fact they are small and compact.

Everything for a day on a commercial can be put in a rucksack with a rod fit for purpose and a net in hand and your set.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Phone, I see those pen rods as nothing more than a bit of fun jigging for perch under pontoons like I tried last year for a few sessions while waiting for my 3lb tc pike rod to get a bite.

Sure we see people ice fishing and getting huge fish with these tiny little rods but we ain't ice fishing over big depths.

I can see a double figure carp quite quickly getting out of control on a pen rod with even less chance of getting it out of a snag if that was to happen. Bigger rod better control ? just look at that dinky little centre pin type reel, I doubt that would be fun playing a 10lb+ carp on.

I'm not knocking the pen rods I had a ton of fun "Dink" fishing with it Phone :)

I wouldn't be surprised if a commercial fishery owner told you to sling yer hook seeing you turn up with one.

Each to their own etc. etc.

Edited by Andy_1984

Guest 1lastcast

Actually I didn't know that kris was a UK agent for Pen rods, not until he 'fessed up I didn't, I was getting worried that perhaps there was some merit in these toy's but then I saw that kris was in fact only doing his job , and I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

However the problem now is that you have poor Old Geezer thinking he can pack all his gear inside his pension wallet, and John S, a moderator no less on a Angling Forum also thinking that these rods are for him too...What!!!!

Please please can we have some sanity, and yes I know Kris there are utube vids to prove they actually catch fish, but so can a twig, hardly makes them as Andy said 'fit for purpose' though .

On a serious note, if you were ever to be unfortunate enough to catch a really powerful fish on one of these, you WILL be seriously under gunned.

Like I said I love fishing light, hate carrying loads of gear...but these things will never do the job of a proper rod.

I see no reason for this tirade against me or Kiri. Remember it was me who asked for details. I seek ways to lighten my load. I'm 61 and can not lug all the gear around for much longer.

Remember, we have no car and if we want to go fishing I have to load up tackle for two.

Edited by Old geezer

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional :-)

There is no tirade against you or kiri, Old Geezer. Please don't take this the wrong way. :)

A pen rod isn't going to do much to "lighten your load" as the problem with weight is not your rod or reel its the end tackle that you take. Start looking at your backpack rather than your rod for reducing weight.

In hand:

12ft float rod

Landing net

In small backpack(could even be fit in to a small box or pockets):

Small fixed spool reel

A few floats floats

A packet of hooks

A little tub of split shot

A tub of hook bait

A packet of micro pellets

That's about all you really need on a commercial, groundbait is not so much of an issue as commercials see so much of it so the pellets are just an audible attraction.

But as this is a forum and people are entitled to their opinions. Your well within your rights to take it or leave it, unless of course this is some sort of cleverly crafted advertising campaign.