Bit of interesting fish behaviour

Steve Walker

This caught my eye earlier today - in this small planted tank, I have some dwarf neon rainbowfish (aka praecox rainbowfish), Melanotaenia praecox. I have two males and four females, and I noticed that one of the males had a yellow/orange stripe running along the top of his head and back. First thought was that there was something wrong, but I then realised he was doing a lot of chasing and displaying, and then realised that he can turn the stripe on and off really very quickly. Managed to get a bit of video of it happening, really interesting little fish.

(sorry about the watermarks on the glass, didn't want to disturb them by wiping it)

See if you can spot the stripe appearing and disappearing.

That is quick!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

That is impressive Steve, a real show off.

Was the end result worth the effort for him?

There are some interesting looking egg masses, but I think they may be snail eggs. Probably don't have room for any more of them anyway :)

Nice tank Steve, i would love live plants but these daft roach would have it eaten within a week.

Any more videos or pics ?

Cheers Andy - some pics:

C0A9DAC3-D9BA-4B37-BE2F-49A1E75B6545-466

D4D0DD34-185A-44BE-AFF4-E1E31BEF9E51-466

9A466F21-919D-44D7-9F93-942F1A019AEC-466

878C9110-7A27-4B9D-867E-9150925EC69E-466

FCC13B4B-857D-4592-BA55-621EE838AEC3-466

7E3A9BA8-0462-4DF4-AA5E-6B3AAD175CAF-466

EA937DD8-9353-43B5-B281-992BB4B0FB0F-466

FF0A52F8-D4A1-4213-A741-00C24280A9D8-466

The other planted tank (glass is filthy)

54708DD2-D17D-43A5-B8F5-2188E85FEFD9-466

• Like 1

Impressive trick, isn't it? Actually reminds me of a cephalopod!

My thoughts exactly!

If I was to have an aquarium I'd keep cuttlefish. I remember going to the London aquarium, I was transfixed by the cuttles in there.

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Like the last one, leave the algae on the back cover with a few more plants and clean the front it will look proper wild :D

You'll have to tell the bristlenose plec about that - not long ago it was completely covered in algae on both of the rear panes, but recently it's started to clear. I think some of the changes I've made to deal with the algae growing on the plants have changed the type of algae growing on the glass to one that the plec likes to eat!