Bit of interesting fish behaviour

Steve Walker

My thoughts exactly!

If I was to have an aquarium I'd keep cuttlefish. I remember going to the London aquarium, I was transfixed by the cuttles in there.

We caught one once, in a tidal pool we were surveying. Amazing little creature. I think it ended up in the visitor centre aquarium at Ynyslas (the postdoc's girlfriend worked there).

I bet they're really twitchy about water quality, though.

• 3 weeks later...

You'll have to tell the bristlenose plec about that - not long ago it was completely covered in algae on both of the rear panes, but recently it's started to clear. I think some of the changes I've made to deal with the algae growing on the plants have changed the type of algae growing on the glass to one that the plec likes to eat!

They are wonderful cleaners those guys i had a few in just about every tank i had.

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

We caught one once, in a tidal pool we were surveying. Amazing little creature. I think it ended up in the visitor centre aquarium at Ynyslas (the postdoc's girlfriend worked there).

I bet they're really twitchy about water quality, though.

Salty certainly...lol....but I'm not sure how perfect the setup would have to be. I'd think almost any marine setup, temperature allowing for the species, would be more than suitable, since there's far more guff in the sea than you'd expect to find in any tank??

They are amazing though. I've got the Blue Planet box-set and all the Cephalopod sequences are by far my favourites.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Marines tend to be much more sniffy about nitrogenous waste than freshwater fish and inverts are often fussier than fish - I have a feeling cephalopods usually need reef tank water quality. Mind you, the visitor centre that the one we caught went to was close enough to the sea for lots of water changes!

I'm just thinking that cuttles, octopuses and squid are found round most of our coast and that varies an awful lot, with diferent levels of salinity, pollution, sewage etc.

I'd think as long as the conditions of the tank don't vary too rapidly, from one day to the next, they should be able to tolerate most tank setups, which are surely of better condition than most of our coastal waters.

I'm merely guessing though.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

• 2 weeks later...

MM....yea, I'm thinking they're probably quite flexible about a lot of conditons. They seem to live everywhere from the very top to the very bottom of the sea, at all temps, in all seas, in all guises.

I'm surprised a few haven't made it on to land....lol.... :crazy:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

• 1 month later...

Steve W,

I saw one of these once. If memory serves me - it was dead. Maybe even stuffed in a tackle shop(?).

The Pacific Northwest (Oregon) tree octopus (Octopus paxarbolis) can be found in the temperate rainforests of the Olympic Peninsula on the west coast of North America.

Are there any freshwater Cephalopods? Is the tree octopus considered a freshwater?

Often wondered????

Phone