What Carp Baits Do You Use In Winter?

Anglers' Net

• 7 months later...

Carp91,

Don't be fooled. Carp live in the same water year around. Carp can exist for 7 months without digesting anything. If the water is below 51 F. they cannot digest enough to sustain life. In the winter carp don't "eat" they simply follow instictive reflexes. They are much harder to catch in the winter and pre-baiting has little effect and bait selection is of even less concern.

Just so you'll know - In a pond more that - - ohh - - say 10ft deep the water temperature, winter and summer, on the bottom is ALWAYS near or at 39F. That's the temperature at which water weighs the most.

Phone

• 2 months later...

I favour fishing with very little in Winter for carp. Years of experience has led me to believe that piling in the boilies is the kiss of death when Winter carp fishing. I found that whenever I baited an area I could no longer get a take from that spot but by fishing single pop ups with NO free offerings and I mean NO free offerings action would continue.

On my local this Winter word has got out that it fishes well in Winter (and it did) and the time bandits are piling 10 kg of boilies in at a time. No suprise to me that the fishing is now almost impossible and the baited areas never produce a nibble. In fact what is happening is that people are baiting up over other peoples baiting up! Not good.

If no bites materialise, guess what? They bait up some more. No wonder Winter fishing has become rock hard.

I tackle it with single 10mm pop ups, 3 rods and start searching, put your bait where the fish are and you will catch even in the coldest weather.

The bait companies have convinced anglers now that you have to pile it in when you have finished fishing and I see this going on every week. They are not going to tell you to fish single hook baits as they would all go bust if they did. I guess there are mug fish as well as mug anglers out there. :D

Click here to Visit St Ives Tackle 

apple-touch-icon.webp

Sorry but you can't beat popped up bread discs for winter carp.

Make a 10mm bread punch, punch two or three bread discs and put onto hair.

• Like 1

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!