Another chub blank

Anderoo

I had a go for the Thames chub yesterday evening, as the river was looking pretty much back to normal. I baited, rested and then fished 10 swims in the dark - not a touch! I'm still persevering with the boilie paste to see if it's as good as people say... So far I haven't had a bite on it.

Have any other Thames fishers had any joy since all the floods? I reckon either the chub are either in a funny mood following months of floods, they've been moved elsewhere by the floods, or the bait doesn't work. I think next time I'll go back to bread and see if that works.

Interested in other views though. Still no chub this season, it's getting a bit silly now!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Steve,

That should put a nice gash in Androo's ego.

Androo,

Are the margins well defined yet after so much high water. The warmer the water - the slower the water the better the chub over here in winter. We have a number of species called chub. I'm not even sure we are talking the same fish. In the minnow family though (carps).

Phone

To be fair, Andrew fishes the river further downstream from me, and it's a very different river down there.

This is my bit:

WinterChubbing009.jpg

This is down Andrew's way:

P1030696.jpg

Also, I think Andrew is more selective about finding larger fish.

My ego is fine, but if others are catching normally it adds weight to the idea that the experimental bait is not working! That's fine too, some experiments work and some don't, I'll have to give bread a go and see what happens. The floods were really severe though, and I wouldn't be surprised if some fish movement has taken place.

The reason to try the boilie paste on a stretch I know well is simply to see if it works or not, and if it does to take it to a more difficult stretch where bread is hard to fish with (mainly due to depth of water). So far, results are not encouraging. If the bait is the problem, I'll have to work out a way to accurately feed mashed bread in deep, flowing water. Some kind of big baitdropper/feeder or something. I know bread works, but that's no good if your pre-bait is swept off downstream, taking any chub with it...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It's the baiting rather than the bait I'm testing, so it has to be one or the other really. I'm sure the chub will eat the paste if they find it, I suspect they have no idea it's there though! I think bread works so well just because the baiting brings them up from a long way downstream.

To be fair, Andrew fishes the river further downstream from me, and it's a very different river down there.

This is my bit:

WinterChubbing009.jpg

This is down Andrew's way:

P1030696.jpg

Also, I think Andrew is more selective about finding larger fish.

I know that swim lol ....Anderoo i had a few small ones out just before and during the snow to both Bread and paste of the boilie variety

have thought the same about baiting swims in heavy flow with paste or boilies god knows how far down the stuff goes .

Bread is a great draw and has the added benifit of thousands of slices being thrown in for the ducks/swans and some drifting down through the water to end up as Chub fodder ...going to have a go for Chub this weekend Kennet looks sock on but the Thames around me well ugly swirly and un chublike.

As i kept saying to Rusty you only need one bite....hope you get a biggun on the new bait face .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: