Another chub blank

Anderoo

Nice one Steve! When you fish with the paste, how do you go about it? I've been putting half a dozen walnut sized blobs in each swim then fishing them in turn, same as I do with bread. Maybe I should be fishing it differently?

Having said that, I never could get cheesepaste to work on the Thames. I did well with it on other local rivers like the windrush, Evenlode, Cherwell, but not the Thames. Again, I ended up concluding that because the Thames is bigger, the chub just didn't know it was there. I was hoping the boilie paste had more pulling power, but it doesn't seem to, unless I'm doing something horribly wrong with it! Maybe severely under feeding?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've had plenty of bites on cheesepaste, but I found the conversion ratio to hooked fish appalling compared to flake. Would have worked a lot better hair rigged, I guess.

Thing is my paste is just a basic fishmeal with some Robin red and salmon oil/hemp oil/csl and i do put in say 10 balls maybe 3/4 of a golf ball size into each likely looking bit no milk protiens etc so hoping it dont fill em up but enough for them to find it and get a taste for it ,The problem i think is niether of us have been going often enough for them to find get a taste for the paste big old wide thing that the Thames is .

Prefer to fish it on the hook and that is just personal ....probubly listening to much to the hair rig and chub thing and the few times i have tried it missed bites....bolt rigging would be better i suspect but i didn`t realy give it a fair go .

Keep at it and they will come i guess

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Cheers Steve and Steve :)

Maybe that's the thing, it needs a longer and more regular introduction for them to know to look for it. My paste is not a MP either; in theory it should be accepted as good food from the off, then get better the more I use it. With the floods, baiting opportunities have been few and far between, so perhaps it hasn't been a fair test yet.

On the Cherwell, bites on cheesepaste often came after a long wait (unlike bread on the Thames where instant bites are common...I've even had several big fish on the drop!). Maybe I should try sitting tight in a good looking spot for a lot longer. The trouble is, the season's rapidly running out now...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm not 100% certain what you're trying to achieve Andrew. Is it to catch chub, or to catch on the new bait?

When I've tried a new bait I've found it better to use it when I know the fish are feeding on a regular bait. That way I have something to compare it with.

The Yorks Ouse looks a similar size to the Thames in the photos of your area, and it holds a decent head of chub. I usually feed with 'known' bait, but add samples of the 'new' bait as well. If I start to catch on the known bait, I switch to the new bait. So if I was feeding each swim with a half dozen balls of the new bait, I would add at least the same of a proven bait. Obviously if you think a dozen balls are too many then reduce the number, but keep the same ratio.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Cheers John. What I'm trying to achieve is to catch chub from a stretch I know well on a paste bait. I've caught well from there in the past using bread, so I know the good areas and what I should expect in terms of fish. The reason is to prove to myself that the paste is as effective as bread, because there's a different stretch I want to fish where, because of the nature of the river, bread is very difficult to use properly.

I've tried fishing bread at the new bit, but because it's deeper and a bit faster (near the surface, anyway), mashed bread just gets swept away. So I want to use a bait that I can feed accurately, but before I commit myself to the new bit of river (where I already know the number of chub is very low), I want to be sure the bait works!

If I can't find a paste/boilie that is as effective as the bread I've been using, I'll give up on it, and try to work out a way to bait up accurately with bread.

However, another reason to give the paste a fair chance is that it's way easier to prepare and transport than loads of bread, you don't have to dip your hands into icy water to make mash, it's easier to bait up with, and (in the quantities I use bread) it's cheaper. But, none of that matters if it doesn't work!

However, another reason to give the paste a fair chance is that it's way easier to prepare and transport than loads of bread, you don't have to dip your hands into icy water to make mash, it's easier to bait up with, and (in the quantities I use bread) it's cheaper. But, none of that matters if it doesn't work.

Anderoo this is my main reason for playing around with it as well more of as grab and go method than Liquidising up bread or making mash up in the cold ,bread has outfished it up till now but given a period of constant flow/temp to try it properly and fairly i hope it will work.....So that is next winter now then.............

Edited by JV44

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Anderoo - I think I understand what you are trying to do, but in this weather I would always bank on bread. However you are having difficulty with keeping in one place in the current. Have you thought about using the same rig but clipping a PVA mesh sausage of liquidised bread to the lead link - not the hook. Use bread on the hook.

Another thought. I do really well (on the Loddon) with a mesh feeder or the PVA with LB, a short (6inches) link and a large lump of minging cheesepaste topped off with a large lump of crust. Whether the crust critically balances the cheese or what, this combo outfishes the crust or the cheese as single baits. Why not try this with your secret paste - and add some of the powdered ingredients to the liquidised bread and use the PVA mesh. You'll feed will be very accurately placed and will have really good pulling power.

M

Cheers Matthew, you're quite right, it is bread weather, and I'm sure if I fished bread at the bit I know well I'd be catching. The point isn't to catch them though, as you say, what I want is to see how the paste compares to bread. So far it is not encouraging, and if it's not as good, I'll have to start thinking about how to feed mashed bread in deep water - so thanks for your ideas :)

The new stretch is one I've been struggling with for a couple of winters now (not helped by low water and no flow last year, and then floods this year). There are very few chub there - so far I've only caught 2, both 5lbers. It has the feeling of somewhere that might hold one or two really big ones though, and I want to be in a position to fish it hard and effectively when (if!) we get a good winter. Both the chub I've had so far were very encouraging - young fish, very short and extremely thick and deep. I reckon if there are others just a bit longer, they would be giants.

The other encouraging thing is that it's similar in nature to the stretch I had my PB from - again, very few chub, deep and quite boring. That fish was old and not at all fat, but long. I reckon in its prime it would have been 8+.

If the paste works, it would solve so many problems and make life so much easier...but if it doesn't work, it's a huge liability!

Edited by Anderoo

Anderoo - take your point - but I was also thinking that your paste might work in conjunction with a PVA sausage of liquidised bread laced with your paste flavour (i guess that it starts as some sort of powdered mix). That way you'd be absolutely confident that if you are in the right area, any resident chub would pick up the flavour trail because the flavoured bread would go a long way in the fast water. M