Another chub blank

Anderoo

This is brilliant Andrew. Live updates from on the bank. I'l be down the Thames myself this weekend after chub. Don't overlook the Cherwell though. I've struggled when fishing there last couple of seasons but there's some big uns up there. I don't usually get more than 2 a session but one or both of them will usually be over 5lb. Smashed my PB with 6lb-9 last weekend from the first swim i fished.

I think bread is all you need at this time of year. Maybe carry a few lobworms and cheesepaste as backup.

Well done Anderoo i had a small one and missed 4 bites need to find a way of baiting the far bank swims without the ubber heavy homemade feeders as hitting the bites with those on is bloody hard ...cold on the old pinkys out there aint it

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Brilliant, Andrew!

And welcome to you, Dave.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Well done Anderoo i had a small one and missed 4 bites need to find a way of baiting the far bank swims without the ubber heavy homemade feeders as hitting the bites with those on is bloody hard ...cold on the old pinkys out there aint it

I know you use that method because you're confident that the feeder helps tempt them Steve (and confidence is crucial) but I think when we're fishing those far bank swims just using a lead improves presentation and bite indication, less chance of tangling and less drag than a monster feeder. We generally get bites pretty quickly which suggests to me that the chub are already there, if that's the case they'll see and take a solitary lump of flake plopped on their nose, especially with the water being so clear at the moment.

Just a thought.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Well I'm back at home now, no more bites but actually the last few swims didn't feel quite right anyway. But I'm very pleased to have caught one! I always forget just how big those chub look and how hard they pull. The rod behaved very well, noticeably more stopping power than the rod I have been using, but absorbs all the thumps nicely too.

Good to hear you were back out Steve, and getting bites too!

Dave, welcome to AN, and congrats on the Cherwell lump, what a fantastic fish. I haven't fished the Cherwell for about 3 years now, but have had some great winters there before that. I never had one that big but most were 5lb+ and I did get a couple of low 6lbers. It's a lovely little river, I really ought to revisit it at some point.

So, I think the boilie paste experiment has come to an end. It's a shame it didn't work, but the idea I've been missing out on something has been niggling me for a few years now, so I'm glad I tried it anyway. I think I'll have another go at the weekend with bread again, see if I can't get TWO chub this season :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I know you use that method because you're confident that the feeder helps tempt them Steve (and confidence is crucial) but I think when we're fishing those far bank swims just using a lead improves presentation and bite indication, less chance of tangling and less drag than a monster feeder. We generally get bites pretty quickly which suggests to me that the chub are already there, if that's the case they'll see and take a solitary lump of flake plopped on their nose, especially with the water being so clear at the moment.

Just a thought.

And a very valid one mate will have to be brave and give it a go ,was a nice cold bright stars in trhe sky evening and keith came down for a chat and a nice fella staying at the Bull who`s dad owns a tackle shop in Ross on wye so just good to be out

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. I have met Anderoo in person out on the bank a while back. Hope to see some of you out this weekend. I'll be the bloke covered in breadcrumbs carrying a bucket.

Went today for a few hours only one Chub bite using the pva bag method which i missed did have a couple of Pike on the deadbait rod to 8lb and pulled out of a heavy feeling fish .

The Chub deffo seem to be less happy to feed in the daylight on my local bit ...got to stay in for a poxy sainsburys delivery so cant have a go tonight but trying tomorrow night on our mooring and maybe with Rusty in then day .

You out this evening Anderoo??