Another chub blank

Anderoo

Matthew that is a superb idea so good in fact i may have to have a stab at it tomorrow ,I have really struggled to keep a feeder vin the spot i need to far side of a narrow bit of the Thames and the PVA bag sounds spot on .

Just off to watch the Rugby at my local though so that may curtail my plans for tomorrow depending on liquid consumption .

Have you been out on the Thames lately?? Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

No Steve, to be honest at this time of year I have a real dilemma - fishing or rugby. And given that I seem to have lost my mojo a bit on the rivers (loddon excepted) since the autumn its been an easy choice to stay in and watch the rugby! Normally for the last month of the season I do well but its been an odd winter and the fish don't seem to be where I normally expect them. M

Another data point - fished near Lechlade for about 2 hours this afternoon, from a bit before four to a bit before six. Still plenty of water in it, but running clear now. Had three chub, two of about 3lb and one of 4lb something - it was 5-12 in a damp sling, but then I decided to get a photo, zipped up the sling and put it in the river while I sorted the camera out and didn't re-weigh it with the sopping sling. Sopping wet sling is a pound and a half. So at least four and a quarter, but probably closer to five. Not big enough to lose sleep over either way, of course!

Well done Steve! So they are still there and feeding. I also fished this afternoon as the conditions looked good; no time to prepare bread so I made up another batch of paste and fished 8 swims, giving each one plenty of time. Result - 1 twitchy bite that didn't develop.

A proper go with bread next, and I expect to catch. If I do, the rest of this base mix and flavours will be going in the bin, and I'll be out shopping for giant feeders.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Another data point - fished near Lechlade for about 2 hours this afternoon, from a bit before four to a bit before six. Still plenty of water in it, but running clear now. Had three chub, two of about 3lb and one of 4lb something - it was 5-12 in a damp sling, but then I decided to get a photo, zipped up the sling and put it in the river while I sorted the camera out and didn't re-weigh it with the sopping sling. Sopping wet sling is a pound and a half. So at least four and a quarter, but probably closer to five. Not big enough to lose sleep over either way, of course!

Still a decent Chub either way Steve well done on getting out ,walked the hounds by the river this morning to get rid of last nights excess booze and the river looked spot on green tinge

A couple of Guys were having a Pike fest with Jacks aplenty ,may bunk off tomorrow to have a go

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Well done Steve! So they are still there and feeding. I also fished this afternoon as the conditions looked good; no time to prepare bread so I made up another batch of paste and fished 8 swims, giving each one plenty of time. Result - 1 twitchy bite that didn't develop.

A proper go with bread next, and I expect to catch. If I do, the rest of this base mix and flavours will be going in the bin, and I'll be out shopping for giant feeders.

I fished three swims fairly close together - less than 100 yards from the first to the last. I put about a quarter of a loaf in each spot. First bite came after about 20 mins, a very fat three pounder from a slack in open water. I decided to stay put, but was just thinking of moving when the larger fish turned up. After that I tried the very snaggy inside swim. Like last time I fished it, I had a bite first cast, almost straight away. Another three pounder, though, not the lump I lost there last time. Given that it doesn't seem to put them off, I think I will continue to fish 8lb line for them - you can really keep them out of the snags!

No trout this time, thankfully.

I've beefed my tackle up a bit this year too Steve, I lost 3 big fish on the bounce at the end of last season. I'm now using a 1.5lb tc barbel rod, which is both powerful and very bendy, so I can hang on and not give line when they're thumping towards the near bank. I've stuck with 6lb line though, I did a few tests in the summer and I reckon it's strong enough. I would go heavier, but the extra diameter in the flow means I have to use more lead to hold bottom, which I'd rather not do. I tried 8lb line last year for a couple of sessions, but it was just too thick for me to be happy with.

Good news that they aren't shy of it though, even in the very clear water we have right now.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music