Beginning of the end??????

Carpnut

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be honest john i dont know, but what i do wonder is why everyone is so keen to see the back of the CA. whatever you may think about mr Jardine and the CA, they managed to get 10,000 protesters up to london, plus all the others that were doing the rounds round the M25 on a weekday.

as a keen a supporter of the SAA as i am,I really couldnt see the SAA being able to do the same currently. petty point scoring over the CA is pointless john.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Mark, surely by now you have picked up on the reasons why many of us are keen to see the back of the CA! We were being used and abused, no question of it. We were being used to justify the unjustifiable, to defend the indiffensible, to support the barbaric pleasure of those who hunt with hounds.

They managed to get ONLY 10,000 protesters up to London, some of which behaved no better than a mindless rent a mob, and many lived in London anyway, big deal!

I have no doubts whatsoever that if it had been angling that was being debated, then rather more than 10,000 would have made it. And it wouldn't have needed the SAA to organise it, just the web!

"most of the shooters that i know that shoot foxes shoot a bloody sight more in a couple of weeks than the fox hunters do in a year"

Well that totally destroys the argument in favour of fox hunting being an effective form of culling. Some fox hunts have even been known to trap foxes so that they can let them go before a hunt. Antis will only turn their attentions to anglers if we keep spouting on about it on message boards such as this.

People keep going on about the number of hounds that will have to be destroyed, but that will be a one off event, and a drop in the ocean compared to the number of living animals turned into disgusting junk food every single day of the year.

Just listening to Keith Arthur for five minutes is enough to turn me against fox hunting.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Thinking of the bigger picture, one of the 'reasons' spouted for this ban is that the "majority of the public want it" (Were you ever asked? I wasn't.).

So, does that now mean that any minority group is under threat? Has the 'right' to be different, think different and act different now been taken away? Is diversification a thing of the past? Will future generations have to tow the line in every aspect of their life?

Forget the foxes for a moment and think just what has happened - the Government has persistently *forced* through a motion, wasting valuable time when things like the NHS, the EU, atc. could be discussed, because a few people shouted at them, caused disruption and, basically, wouldn't go away.

Just my angle.....

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Did anyone else notice that not one senior member of the Government was able to take part in what was obviously the most important debate in years as they are using the most draconian of methods to push it through, even the speaker could'nt be bothered to get out of bed!

Why? just so they can say they did'nt vote for the ban - cop out government Tony Blair style!

Now they can tootle off for a few more weeks holiday & pop into the conference for a day or two.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Wow, didn't expect to get such a response to this....

OK the point is was making was:-

Most if not all the 'Anti' groups have angling on their agenda, i admit it's not as high on their list as hunting, but make no mistake it's there. To think we have safety in numbers is to my mind arrogant and dangerous, is ther anything we can do to try and preserve our sport????? If the government wants to force something into law they will.

How many of you are happy to see thousands of asylum seekers flooding into the country every day, different problem i accept but public opinion counts for nothing as shown by the way the situation has been handled. How many of us are happy to be paying over £3 tax on every gallon of fuel we buy, congestion charges, there is even a bill to tax us for parking our cars at work waiting to be brought forward after the election, there will be massive public objection to that but will it make a difference, NO.

So, how do we protect our sport??

PS. To think discussing this matter on a message board will help to get angling banned is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever heard.

Can we just nail this 'banning hunting will be good for the foxes' idea?

I train pest controllers in the use of rifles as part of my day-job and I've been a shooter all my life. The fact is, one night's fox control with a rifle and lamp can remove more foxes than most hunts kill in a month.

Another fact is, without hunting, much of the land currently holding foxes will be turned to 'other uses', and you can bet that those uses won't be anywhere NEAR as fox-friendly as the land is now.

Lastly, to hunt foxes you must have foxes. When it's purely vermin control it's a flat-out war on foxes. Guess which situation allows more foxes? Quite.

Argue about the morals and ethics all you like, but please understand that, for the fox as a country-dwelling animal - a hunting ban is an absolute disaster.

Just my two penn'orth.

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Elton, the issue was part of Labours manifesto. They were elected in on what was effectively a promise. So yes, in effect you were asked!

I photograph local politicians and sometimes do so at their meetings. You'd be surprised just how much I hear and how much ill feeling there is about the Fox Hunting issue. Not because Labour have gone ahead, but because it has taken them so long to honour their manifesto. It would seem that a great many people voted for Labour on this and no other issue, apart from keeping the party of sleeze and greed out of course.

It has taken a great deal of prodding to get Labour to honour their promise on hunting. Might be something to do with protecting those who can't protect themselves, especially animals, afterall, we are British!

quote:

How many of you are happy to see thousands of asylum seekers flooding into the country every day, different problem i accept but public opinion counts for nothing as shown by the way the situation has been handled. How many of us are happy to be paying over £3 tax on every gallon of fuel we buy, congestion charges, there is even a bill to tax us for parking our cars at work waiting to be brought forward after the election, there will be massive public objection to that but will it make a difference, NO.

quote:

There is, at the moment, over 3 million anglers in the UK and you would hope that the government wouldn't want to pee that many people off. However, it hasn't stopped them persecuting 20 odd million motorists has it ?

All are true statements of course, however, these are things that the voting public dislike and are aggrieved about. The Government though is not banning things here - a different kettle of fish. I still think that an outright ban on Angling would be a disaster for any Government come polling time.

Paul