Beginning of the end??????

Carpnut

Bruno Broughton:

My statement stands - the Government is anti-hunting and pro-angling. Fact.

Bruno - I believe that to be true. For this government.

However, this government agreed to ban fox hunting, and surely that was more about getting votes than about animal welfare.

So what happens if another government in the future decides to be anti-angling?

Can I also add this point - I'm not pro-hunting, though it isn't something I think about very often. On the other hand I simply couldn't give up angling - it's in my blood. Other hobbies can come and go, but not angling.

I'm sure it's the same for many hunters - it's in their blood. And for that reason I do feel for the hunters.

[ 18. September 2004, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: Spindle ]

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spindle:

Spindle:

But then HLS is not angling.

Maybe, but HLS isn't fox hunting either...
No, it's not. But like hunting with hounds the activities of HLS are seen as totally unacceptable to very many people. As perhaps is angling.

In a civilised society there have to be limits as to what is and what is not acceptable, otherwise we cease to be civilised. My own view, for what its worth, is that both HLS and killing with hounds are both well on the wrong side of that tenuous line that is the limit imposed by society.

Angling, on the other hand, is well on the right side! If angling is ever banned then what comes next, swatting mosquitoes? There have to be reasonable limits, and angling, unless it does something remarkably stupid, is well on the safe side.

If angling keeps its house in order then I don't honestly believe that it has anything to fear.

Bruno,

A few examples that come to mind are the banning of anglers on a local park lake (Stockton) & the news that when the Tees barrage went in, the local council tried to prevent a large section from the barrage upwards being used by anglers. That they didn't succeed wasn't due to them looking kindly on us!

There was also a Hartlepool council park lake, which if I remember right had the fishing rights taken away when there was some letters of complaint from the public who were worried about the Ducks. As far as I'm aware they've all been under a Labour council.

As to the details, I shall get digging!

Peter

quote:

Angling, on the other hand, is well on the right side! If angling is ever banned then what comes next, swatting mosquitoes? There have to be reasonable limits, and angling, unless it does something remarkably stupid, is well on the safe side.

I wish I had your confidence Peter, I find myself having to defend angling more & more to non anglers, We live in a world where the media quickly tag onto the next moral crusade that will boost their sales & quoteworthy organisations such as RSPCA & the green party are already showing a negative side to angling.

Of course that's not even including the fringe loonies who get a disproportionate amount of tele time & column inches. :mad:

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Wearyone,

Obviously the water you are referring to is a Durham area water which I don't know anything about, but it serves to illustrate a point.

Why place restrictions on everybody else who fishes the water, so punishing the majority, instead of that moronic minority that so afflicts our society at the moment. The sooner we have a justice system that allows the innocent to carry on as they were & the guilty to be punished, the better!

Nearly slipped into a rant there

Peter.

Peter

As I remember it the lake in Stockton was closed to angling because a new councillors son had a bit of a run in with an angler.

The pond is question did have no fishing signs on it, although the council did turn a blind eye to this.

I think this was more to do with the new councillor wearing his "I'm a councillor so you have to listen to me" badge than the local councils policy.

Mark

Mark

Mark you've just said it, the pond already had fishing banned.

This was clearly before the councillors run in.

I'm sorry but I don't trust the left wing side of politics when it comes to country sports & whether we like it or not we are a country sport

Peter.

quote:

I'm sorry but I don't trust the left wing side of politics when it comes to country sports & whether we like it or not we are a country sport
blimey dont things change over 35 years last time i fished crystal palace boating lake it was in that big village up the A3 ,they must have built some fields and stuff

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Peter, The water is higher up, sorry. Although not closed, anglers behaviour is being watched very closely. Another in Northumberland also has the threat of closure if persistent miss use is not addressed.

One water is very close to residential housing and I'm darned sure that I wouldn't like drunks, and other abusers, cavorting all night outside my home, and the rubbish that is left behind

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

Whether angling is banned or not is largely down to anglers. If we abuse it we loose it. I have just come off my local broad, disgusted at the behaviour of a boat load of anglers. Noisy, inconsiderate not only to other anglers, but also to the people who live around the broad. Why they had to charge noisily round the broad at speed, ruining the chances of others, at 6.45ish is beyond comprehension. Angling's future is in angling's hands.