back I mean if you had a 2.75 TC you got some funny looks

I asked a guy once and I said why are you mixing it in your bivvy and he
said that guy is looking through his bino's at me for my mixture. I set up not
far from that angler and after a few hours I wondered about and well it appears
the guy was an old fellah and was just fishing with maggots and was a bird
watcher...LOL. I packed up early as the carper was doing 24 hrs and as I passed
said 'You know that bloke with the bino's yes he said. He was a 'Bird
watcher'...He said they all say that mate you got to watch them you know....I
walked on.... It was like talking to MI6!

Well give me a wicker and a worm anyday...

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Still use mine every trip, it gets the occasional "you don't see many of those these days" comments from the really old guys. Mine was lined with old lino about 40 years ago to keep the rain out. I do put an old cushion on top of it to stop indentations. It is surprisingly light when emptied, it's all the gear that's put in it that makes it heavy.

Wicker work and cane rods are indeed aesthetically pleasing and many could be described as works of art. But I still believe most anglers use tackle old or new because of it's practicality.

I would choose to use an item because it fulfilled a specific use and I think even the much maligned Carp anglers also pick there equipment based on more then just fad and fashion.

There is nothing wrong with using old gear and plenty of it is top quality kit, but fishing equipment has come on leaps and bounds over the years and now good quality kit is in the price bracket of most people. I don't understand those who knock new kit and modern fishing, not that it really matters as you pays your money and takes your choice. It's not good or bad tackle because of it's age.

If I was going to get misty eyed over vintage tackle, I think a wicker basket would be low down on the list of quality product from back in the day. The reason I don't have or wish to have one is that I can not think of an occasion when it would do a better job then a modern and cheaper alternative. Surely the only reason to want one now would be becasue you are a tackle tart and want to look the part. Oh sorry it's only Carpers that do that.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

A wicker basket is fine on firm, level ground, but on the rivers I fish, give me a light, comfortable chair with adjustable legs and good mudfeet any day!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

fishing has become so versatile now. So much technology used. I do feel that its taken the art out of it quite a bit. Touch feeling the line was one of my favourites and the sound of that penny hitting the quality street tin and the best of all was stret pegging on a river close to a far bank for chub and barbel. i could do that all day. i remember a river close to me that the only way the chub could get down stream from the weir was two routes deep under the bank. I stret pegged all day and had 42 chub and a few trout and grayling and a few small barbel. Best days fishing i have ever had... :)

I was only really using the wicker basket as an excuse to talk old fishing ways . :)

Edited by Dave H

fishing has become so versatile now. So much technology used. I do feel that its taken the art out of it quite a bit. Touch feeling the line was one of my favourites and the sound of that penny hitting the quality street tin

Nothing wrong with stret pegging or using a Quality Street tin lid, but how would you fair using those tactics for some of your Tench fishing? Could you do mulitipal days watching your float or holding your line? Imagine if you missed hearing the penny drop. And if the Tench fishing would be difficult, imagine fishing for the Bream.

I have to dissagree about technology taking the art out of fishing, Dave you can be a bit of a contradiction :-) but I look forward to see you at the pit not bivvied up and will listen out for a penny hiting a tin :-)

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

LOL...It's not the contradiction Dale its just i used to enjoy such fishing. There are loads of good advancements in fishing i think its mainly the carping side has just got so rediculous. I still would stret peg today. It's not contradicting mate it's more like missing those old ways a bit. Dale. i think if you heard that tin going all night you would punch my lights out but it must have been like that back then. Oh God know i couldn't do that now . i look forward to your company dale. maybe an Eel comp could be good fun! :)

maybe an Eel comp could be good fun! :)

Eel fishing is so dated, Dave you got to move with the times. I'm a modern angler and only interested if I can use the ching chow chow rig and fish for trendy species. Not sure if I can be bothered with the eel fishing, it does not seem the same when you can't nail them to a tree and pull the skin off like in the good old days.

This year I think it's going to be high-tec fishing for the Tench, that's if I can come up with a plan that still gives me an outside chance of a Bream. Maybe I will try touch ledgering at night for the Bream :-)

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007