Which do you prefer ?

leedsunited

Do you prefer to set up your rods before you go ?

Or wait till you get to the bank ?

I have always set up when i have got to the bank, and 13 foot rods are a bugger to fit in the car. I know you can break them down, but doesn't this risk the chance of weakening the line ?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never go fishing without my rods already setup, i just like to have them ready as soon as i hit the bank, i even mix up any ground bait i need the night before.

As for weakening line, no pressure on line whilst in transit so no problems.

Peter Waller:

Set up well back from the bank. Helps avoid spooking fish.

Apart from this, getting to the bank and seeing others around you catching can cause a mistake when setting up, missing a rod ring when threading the line through, not putting line through bale arm etc ... Which seems pretty basic but fishing can do terrible things to a person!

leedsunited:

not putting line through bale arm etc ...  

My son did that once and took it all down and started over again.

He was a bit miffed when I pointed out that all that was necessary was to remove the spool, open the bale arm and then put the spool back on. :D

ayjay:

ayjay:

not putting line through bale arm etc ...  

My son did that once and took it all down and started over again.

He was a bit miffed when I pointed out that all that was necessary was to remove the spool, open the bale arm and then put the spool back on. :D

Must admit i did that a few times a nipper.

As for the original question,always set up on the bank.Usually thats ware and when i decide Wat peg to fish/method of fishing.Sometimes set up at the Car/Van when stalking.

I always set up on the bank, for the same reason Chris states. It's only when I get there that I know which rod/reel combination I'll be using, what method etc etc....

I'm never in a hurry to start fishing either. I'll usually start putting in a bit of loosefeed or groundbait whilst I'm setting up (which includes putting up the bivvy (okay, tent :rolleyes: ) before I even start on the rod. Sometimes I've left it over an hour before I actually start fishing, just spending the time drawing the fish into the swim (hopefully!).

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

set up everytime!

i know what im fishing for before i go,if i want to present a bait difrently to how its already rigged-no problem,just change it.

preperation is everything with me,i set up and pack the night before i go.my lure and bait rods are always set up and ready to go.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

I always have my pike rods setup and ready to go. Normally with 2 float leger setups and 2 running leger rigs...easily changeable in seconds.

My lure rods are always rigged and ready to go. They're only 6 foot so they aren't any bother for carrying.

The rest of rods are set up on the bank since they are normally used for trout or roach fishing and I can never assume what the conditions will be like till I get there.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...