The annual petrol price comparison.

Ken L

About this time of year, there's usually a thread moning about petrol prices or rip off Britain knocking about on AN and I will go and post a comment on the price of petrol in India. Well there's no such thread this year but the difference with the UK is more marked than ever.

Current prices in Goa (admittedly cheaper than most of India) are 57 Rupes per litre.

Even with the recent dive in the value of the pound, that's fractionally less than 70p a litre.

Quite apart from cheap personal transport, those prices are of course allowing industry and it's associated logistics th thrive even before you take account of the ready suply of cheap unskilled labour and the highest number of qualified university graduates in the world.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the percentage of income fuel represents in India will be no less than here, in fact I am sure it is more. Until incomes and buying power are similar across the globe, we will continue to have the ridiculous situation where it is massively cheaper to use a workforce nowhere near where it is actually needed.

Back to fuel costs, one of thing that never ceases to amaze me is how huge numbers of drivers make no attempt to drive in a fuel efficient manner.

High fuel taxation is very regressive and limits flexibility in the labour market. I don't think it's a very fair way of raising revenue, and I don't think it is good for the economy.

But the percentage of income fuel represents in India will be no less than here, in fact I am sure it is more. Until incomes and buying power are similar across the globe, we will continue to have the ridiculous situation where it is massively cheaper to use a workforce nowhere near where it is actually needed.

Back to fuel costs, one of thing that never ceases to amaze me is how huge numbers of drivers make no attempt to drive in a fuel efficient manner.

While that's undoubtedly true for the poor here, don't kid yourself that India is all poverty and grubby clothes. There's a huge middle class with i-pads, smartphones and 4x4's and they're the boys and girls who are driving the economy.

From here, looks like Karl Marx was right in his assessment of India and it's about to surpass the economic prowes of it's former colonial master.

He was right about the long term benefits of colonisation by the British rather than some of the worlds other powers too.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

And here was me feeling sorry for myself paying from $4.00 to $4.40 a US gallon (about 3.79 litres) for diesel on our holiday to Florida. That works out to around 70p per litre if my maths is correct. My truck gets about 10 miles per gallon when pulling the caravan and the round trip was around 2000 miles.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President