Chair for a nackered back?

AddictedToScopex

Hi Folks,

Hope all are well. I was wondering if any of the *ahem* older folks or those who, like me, have had a back injury could recommend a chair for fishing that is a little easier on the spine or one that offers a little more support. I injured my back in the gym, slipped disc as well as 2 others bulging, and am in desperate need of a chair that can provide support for my lower back and that is a little higher. Last time out as I mentioned in my blog I didn't last very long as I was in some pretty bad pain and I just couldn't bear it any more. I think I need a chair that sits higher and is a little more supportive. Do any of you fine gents have an experience of such a thing or am I just dreaming?I think something like those accessory chairs looks ok height wise but what are they like support wise? Its kind of a pain as I want to get back onto the rivers asap but I cant yet due to not being able to sit on the chairs I have already. Standing is of course an option but even that soon starts to take its toll. I havent gotten out in a while now due to this and it is depressing me. I am dying to get waterside again.

Cheers

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I can't advise on specific chairs, but make sure it is sturdy and adjustable. Also a surgical cushion can help to relieve the pain, apart from the usual pills and potions

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I would advise that you look for something with a two part seat cover, (separate seat and back) - not the hammock style that is common to many fishing chairs.

I've had back problems for many years, though not actually a slipped disc, thankfully!

I use one of the Korum chairs - the original 'Accessory' chair. Mine is one of the older models - can't comment on the new ones, though I suspect what I have to say will still be applicable. That said, I've a feeling that as the older chair is likely a bit heavier in the way that it is made, it may well be a bit more supportive - and you can get the older ones in very good condition quite cheaply used!

Height adjustment is great, in that it allows you to go as low as you are likely to want to, and conversely locks very securely (and easily!) with the legs extended (which in turn makes getting out of it much easier! It folds down well, and attached easily to their ruckbag, if you want to go that route - and the range of bolt-ons available for it is second to none.

Speaking of which, regardless of the chair you eventually go for, you may want to seriously consider getting one with arms, either integral or (like the Korum) as an add-on option - they make getting in and out of the chair MUCH easier, particularly with a bad back. ALSO, a higher seating position makes life easier too, just make sure that the legs lock easily and securely when extended ... though I know a few people who've decided that they like a specific chair and have then replaced the legs for longer ones if neccesary.

If you try a range of chairs you'll quickly realise that not all of them feel particularly secure, and the last thing you want is the chair to collapse under you (or feel as though it will - brilliant way of taking your mind off the fishing! :-)).

I've had my chair several years and so far it's proved to be bomb-proof, and take it from me, I'm likely MUCH bigger than you are! :-)

If for whatever reason you want an option, take a look at the Fox range. The bigger ones are extremely robust and supportive, but not exactly designed to be carried over distances (without a carp barrow!)

Edited by philocalist

I have a hammock-style chair and find it very comfortable as I can change position in it far more than a conventional chair and so take pressure of my back. It has a high back and arms, the latter being a boon as Philocalist has already pointed out. The legs aren't adjustable though.

Running Wingham I get to sit in lots of members' chairs, sometimes for several hours. The one I've found most comfortable for me is the Nash Daddy Long Legs, although not quite as so as my hammock chair. Again this has a high back and the all-important arms. The feet are also adjustable.

Back injuries vary a lot, as do individual's idea of comfort. In particular you may find a chair with an adjustable angle to the back of great help with a disc problem. The Daddy Long Legs has this as have quite a few others.

So do try before you commit yourself. If you buy mail order you have 7 working days to reject the chair, so you could sit it for a few hours indoors. You'll probably have to pay postage though. Alternatively your local tackle shop may allow you to try it at home.

The Nash Daddy Long Legs is pricey though, so does anyone know of anything similar?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

This is right up my street as mine is shot to bits literally. Looking forward to suggestions. Good one's so far :)

Steve..You come in and lay on my bed chair and leave me sitting on an ants nest ;)

Edited by Dave H

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I had one of these for many many years. If you are not bothered by looks i found this chair great for my back. A little heavy to carry about and none of the mod cons but that is not important to me. http://www.tesco.com/direct/shakespeare-ugly-stick-folding-chair/169-7503.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=169-7503

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I have a hammock-style chair and find it very comfortable as I can change position in it far more than a conventional chair and so take pressure of my back.

I don't doubt that they can be comfortable - but they do encourage the body to slide down into a slouch - I'm sure it must be preferable for the sake of the back to be more upright.

It would be worth the effort for ATS to take advice from a medical practitioner (maybe a chiropractor or a physiotherapist) regarding the best seating for his condition.

Good post, Ayjay!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I can second the recommendation for the Nash Daddy Longlegs, it is slightly taller with arm rests and has proved very comfortable for the 10 or so years I have had it. only downside is its not the lightest of chairs, which, with a bad back, may be an issue in itself.

mike