Chair for a nackered back?

AddictedToScopex

Rick, a m8 of mine got one of the korum chairs and I sat on it to see how it felt...it was very comf'y as far as fishing chairs go. He got all bits and peices with it (add ons) including feeder arms, bait bucket holders etc etc which all save you from bending down. Only snag is carrying the barsteward to your swim. You could try wearing your traning belt to support your back but the best thing to do to ease off your back is rest it !

I have a hammock-style chair and find it very comfortable as I can change position in it far more than a conventional chair and so take pressure of my back. It has a high back and arms, the latter being a boon as Philocalist has already pointed out. The legs aren't adjustable though.

Running Wingham I get to sit in lots of members' chairs, sometimes for several hours. The one I've found most comfortable for me is the Nash Daddy Long Legs, although not quite as so as my hammock chair. Again this has a high back and the all-important arms. The feet are also adjustable.

Back injuries vary a lot, as do individual's idea of comfort. In particular you may find a chair with an adjustable angle to the back of great help with a disc problem. The Daddy Long Legs has this as have quite a few others.

So do try before you commit yourself. If you buy mail order you have 7 working days to reject the chair, so you could sit it for a few hours indoors. You'll probably have to pay postage though. Alternatively your local tackle shop may allow you to try it at home.

The Nash Daddy Long Legs is pricey though, so does anyone know of anything similar?

You might want to take a look here:

http://www.ultimate-direct.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=82&CAT_ID=86&P_ID=999

Very competetively priced, too.

I bought one of their Bodyline Wideboy bedchairs before Christmas ... it's never been bankside yet but has been pushed into use over Christmas - we seemed to have people descend on us from the four corners of the Earth, and a large guy slept blissfully on this for a couple of weeks with no complaints whatsover - very, VERY solidly made.

Following the arrival of the new baby I was on here too on occasion and have to agree - it's the most solid, comfy bedchair I've ever spent time on, so if the chairs are similar you might be onto a winner?

Like Philocalist, I'm a big fan of the Korum accessory chair. I like the fact that the back can be raised and locked fully vertical, and that you can buy a longer set of legs which will suit taller folks or (in this instance) anglers with a back problem who are struggling to get out of lower chairs. The chair's not the lightest, but if you add a handle and wheel kit it transforms into a handy trolley. Trays and multifarious clever devices clamp on to the chair frame and eliminate the need for a lot of bending.

Korum have also introduced a match-style foot plate as an add-on, which may make a big difference to getting in and out of the chair since you always have a level surface underfoot.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Cheers for the replies fellas. Very useful. I reckon i will take a look at the two main contenders first, the korum and the nash. I require something that can give me solid support on the very bottom of my back or at least have fabric there so I can use a memory foam support that I bought to use in the car and office. I found sitting low down and getting up to be a real pain so sitting higher up is essential. Its so depressing when you want to get out but cant because of something as simple as a chair. My hammock style ones are no good at all as they make me slide down a bit and make getting back support impossible.

Cheers for the info tigger. Yeah i could wear the belt but its not too comfy when sat down for any period as it squeezes your stomach to the point of feeling bloated. Might chuck it in the car next time as a last resort.

Its been four months now since the initial injury and I will be damned if it stops me fishing when spring comes again! I feel like a bloody old man and im only 27. I wouldnt wish back pain on my worst enemy. It just ruins everything. Its about 40% better than when i first did it so with any luck over the next year it should continue to heal if I am careful.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

ATS

my back is about as knackered as they come. I have had 5 surgeries, 4 discs removed and two spinal fusions. I have a korum with long legs and it suits me.

If you want to discuss treatment options PM me. I have lived with it for 25 years.

• Like 1

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Cheers for the info tigger. Yeah i could wear the belt but its not too comfy when sat down for any period as it squeezes your stomach to the point of feeling bloated. Might chuck it in the car next time as a last resort.

Its been four months now since the initial injury and I will be damned if it stops me fishing when spring comes again! I feel like a bloody old man and im only 27. I wouldnt wish back pain on my worst enemy. It just ruins everything. Its about 40% better than when i first did it so with any luck over the next year it should continue to heal if I am careful.

Rick, if the belt hurts your gut, loose some weight :). One thing you could do is take along a small hot water bottle and fill it with a flask if need be.

Your back will settle down soon but you will injure it again and again and for as long as you go to the gym...it goes with the territory and can't be avoided.

Rick, if the belt hurts your gut, loose some weight :). One thing you could do is take along a small hot water bottle and fill it with a flask if need be.

Your back will settle down soon but you will injure it again and again and for as long as you go to the gym...it goes with the territory and can't be avoided.

Cheeky bugger lol. I have lost lots of weight but its just because it has to be so tight to actually provide the pushing effect on the lower back.

Thanks Sportsman. Did you injure your back or was it something that developed over time?

In my quest for a chair I came across this on dragon carp. Its not often I go on there but what do you guys think? Looks very similar to the korum chair to me. I doubt I would use things such as feeder arms etc so could be just the ticket and save me a little cash in the long run. Thoughts any one?

http://www.dragoncarpdirect.com/products/CK-Fastback-Extra-Wide-Chair.html

Edited by AddictedToScopex