Chair for a nackered back?

AddictedToScopex

Don't bother with the tripod feeder arm it's completely useless on anything other than perfectly level manicured banks i.e. practically anywhere.

You need to ease off in that gym mate if you backs knackered, no point being able to lift a cow if you couldn't catch one in the first place ;0)

Which chair would that be ?? I think a link be missing :unsure:

Quite right. Have added it now. Its only about £30-40 cheaper than the korum but I am not in the business of throwing money away if I dont need to. They mention they will also have the arms etc coming for this one later.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Don't bother with the tripod feeder arm it's completely useless on anything other than perfectly level manicured banks i.e. practically anywhere.

You need to ease off in that gym mate if you backs knackered, no point being able to lift a cow if you couldn't catch one in the first place ;0)

Yeah I much prefer to use bank sticks etc anyway. I have eased right off in the gym now. Plenty of cardio and medium weights really. Putting my back out like that was a real wake up call to take it easy. It was my own fault. :doh:

In my quest for a chair I came across this on dragon carp. Its not often I go on there but what do you guys think? Looks very similar to the korum chair to me. I doubt I would use things such as feeder arms etc so could be just the ticket and save me a little cash in the long run. Thoughts any one?

http://www.dragoncarpdirect.com/products/CK-Fastback-Extra-Wide-Chair.html

Dragon Carp are opening a big new store near me tomorrow (apparently the biggest one so far!) - I'm hoping to get down for a while but a newborn and a poorly 4-year old might have other ideas :-)

IF I make it, I'll make a point of seeking out the chair and giving it a good going over - will let you know either way.

• Like 1

Dragon Carp are opening a big new store near me tomorrow (apparently the biggest one so far!) - I'm hoping to get down for a while but a newborn and a poorly 4-year old might have other ideas :-)

IF I make it, I'll make a point of seeking out the chair and giving it a good going over - will let you know either way.

That would be great if you could philo. Would really appreciate it. Much better to hear from someone with hands on experience of it. I am not aware of anywhere near me that may have them. I like the look of how the back locks as hopefully I would be able to set it dead straight and have my back support cushion there while I need it.. Plus it looks big and comfy and although I am not overweight in any way my current chair digs in to my legs after a while because of the way I sit.

That would be great if you could philo. Would really appreciate it. Much better to hear from someone with hands on experience of it. I am not aware of anywhere near me that may have them. I like the look of how the back locks as hopefully I would be able to set it dead straight and have my back support cushion there while I need it.. Plus it looks big and comfy and although I am not overweight in any way my current chair digs in to my legs after a while because of the way I sit.

Well, made it down to the opening, out of curiosity as much as anything else: Matt Hayes WAS there to open up, and was still there late in the afternoon when I arrived - still mixing with customers and apparently quite happy to be doing so!

I had a good look at the chair, but remain ambivalent about it. Overall, the quality looks decent enough. It's not the lightest chair around, but seem to be quite comfy to sit on, and adjusts / locks up quite easily.

I'll confess, I'm a lump bigger than most people, a legacy of pro-rugby and competetive rowing now well padded as a result of enjoying food a bit too much :-) Sitting on the chair felt secure enough (on the flat shop floor) BUT as I moved around / adjusted position I was less than 100% confident that the chair was fully up to the job of supporting me securely over a period of time - it's definitely NOT as robust as the Korum chair, even after that chair has been bankside for several years.

To be blunt, I'm not a really fair test for any chair - pretty much anything I've tried apart from the Korum (and some Nash's big / wide range) has struggled - personally I wouldn't buy the chair because (whether it happened or not) I'd be sat wondering when / if I was going to be dumped on the ground - not good at any time, but even worse if you are nursing a bad back.

That said, if I had to make a judgement call, I'd say that provided the chair was set up properly it's likely to be entirely adequate for anyone up to around maybe 12 stone - 14 stone tops ... above that I'd have reservations.

The other thing I should mention is not going to help at all - two or three identical chairs, when set up and compared, all felt different somehow, almost as though each chair was 'settling in' in a slightly different fashion, with one chair feeling more secure than another. If you buy a chair I would suggest you give it some serious stick upon receipt, and return it PDQ if unhappy - it may cost you return postage, but this 'variation' in quality seems to be seems to be a recurrent aspect of some of their own-brand stuff ... I actually went down there primarily for a 'hands-on' with their range of centrepins, out of curiosity as much as anything else after receiving some reels from them a few months back that were les than great.

Short version: pick up 3 identcal pins and compare them side by side, and there are obvious differences, typically one being suspect and one being apparently OK, with the third somewhere in the middle. The one that seemed to check out OK were in most part decent enough reels - but with quality control that variable, buying by mail-order is reduced to a lottery, unfortunately.

Thanks so much for that philo. Appreciate the feedback a lot. I think I will give it a miss based on that. I am 15 stone but not much fat these days. There isnt much worse than a less than stable and secure chair especially on rivee bank. Looks like it will be the korum for me. Meantto get to the tackle shop today but didnt get round to it. Was going to see if they had a korum in.

I think that's a sensible option - I'm a lump heavier than you and will admit to carrying about a bit more 'insulation' than I'd like - one of the legacies of a prolonged spell of inactivity during / following an illness a couple of years back :-( - but my Korum chair does a stellar job of keeping me securely off the ground :-)

The only comments I think I would make at this stage are as follows:

1/ Consider getting the add-on arms. I don't have them on mine (keep meaning to order a set, though), but they really make a big difference to getting in and out of the chair, particularly if you are protecting a suspect back.

2/ Not all of the Korum range will attach to the Korum ruckbags for transport - bear that in mind if you think you may want to take that route in the future (again, I can highly recommend the ruckbag range - very, very good at what they do, but can get bloody heavy if you fully load them with stuff - even the smaller ones are capable of swallowing a mountain of gear.

3/ Don't go daft on buying the add-on accessories - and bear in mind that if you can't quite find something to fill your needs, there are many independents who probably do - and Preston box accessories fit perfectly as they are the 'match' branch of the same company. The side table is a big help, but the bolt-on rod rests are a bit of a compromise - and I'm curious about the new foot-plate they just announced, buy would guess that is not the sort of thing I'd want to cart for miles along a river bank :-)

Edited by philocalist

Went to the tackle shop today and had a look at the korum offerings. Ended up walking out with the standard accessory chair. It is perfect for what I need as I can set the back bolt upright. I tried the rover chair but unfortunately the back is not adjustable so I decided against it. The standard chair is heavier but i intend to get the back that will attach to your back eventually. Carrying it on your back would be fine but in your hand it would be a pain on a long slog down the river. Build quality seems top notch. Looking forward to taking it out. Hoping to get out this weekend. Thanks all for the advice.

Rob, forgive me if i just swing the thread out of line a bit but can anyone reccommend a good bedchair that is comfy on your back but in the main don't have spindly little adjustment legs that after a short while the extended legs get bent or the clasping spring does not ping out. :doh:

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon