So what do you all keep?

Dave H

2 roach, 3 rudd and a tench.

had them nearly 2 years.

post-7003-0-90369100-1363134492_thumb.jpg

post-7003-0-08280900-1363134509_thumb.jpg

There is a Zebra Danio kicking about from when i got the tank from the previous owner. There used to be 4 or 5. This ones prety cool recently, as its just got a neon green stripe down its back. he's spoiling my tank though the little shite as he's not a native species :lol:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I have three tanks at the moment. I have a bow fronted Juwel 260 litre Malawi cichlid tank, a Juwel corner unit 190 litre planted tank with mostly Amazonian species and a 60 litre plain glass cube planted tank with Malayan peninsula / Indonesian species.

The Malawi tank started off with about a dozen species, but the yellow labs bred like rabbits and over time pushed everything else out. So now I have a tank full of them and nothing else! I'm going to do a tear down at some point, get rid of most of them and replace with some new fish.

pics013.jpg

The 190 litre tank is running CO2 and fertilisers. The CO2 is a fire extinguisher system with a solenoid. It's got various tetras - black widows, black neons, rummy noses - some rams, an ancistrus catfish, some corydoras catfish, a couple of clown loach and a Siamese algae eater (Asian immigrants!) and some shrimps.

planted_better006_zps138bcc22.jpg

planted_better005_zps6bad7c70.jpg

planted_better004_zps9fe5a839.jpg

planted_better001_zps0a628517.jpg

The 60 litre tank is also running CO2, but it's a more primitive pressurised system with just a small cylinder and regulator. It's got glass catfish, five band barbs, praecox rainbowfish, a couple of hillstream loach ("borneo plecs") and some shrimps.

planted004_zps84817a1f.jpg

planted005_zps7f3b6bdc.jpg

planted_better032_zps0317da0e.jpg

planted_better027_zps3cfb22de.jpg

I have three tanks at the moment. I have a bow fronted Juwel 260 litre Malawi cichlid tank, a Juwel corner unit 190 litre planted tank with mostly Amazonian species and a 60 litre plain glass cube planted tank with Malayan peninsula / Indonesian species.

The Malawi tank started off with about a dozen species, but the yellow labs bred like rabbits and over time pushed everything else out. So now I have a tank full of them and nothing else! I'm going to do a tear down at some point, get rid of most of them and replace with some new fish.

pics013.jpg

The 190 litre tank is running CO2 and fertilisers. The CO2 is a fire extinguisher system with a solenoid. It's got various tetras - black widows, black neons, rummy noses - some rams, an ancistrus catfish, some corydoras catfish, a couple of clown loach and a Siamese algae eater (Asian immigrants!) and some shrimps.

planted_better006_zps138bcc22.jpg

planted_better005_zps6bad7c70.jpg

planted_better004_zps9fe5a839.jpg

planted_better001_zps0a628517.jpg

The 60 litre tank is also running CO2, but it's a more primitive pressurised system with just a small cylinder and regulator. It's got glass catfish, five band barbs, praecox rainbowfish, a couple of hillstream loach ("borneo plecs") and some shrimps.

planted004_zps84817a1f.jpg

planted005_zps7f3b6bdc.jpg

planted_better032_zps0317da0e.jpg

planted_better027_zps3cfb22de.jpg

Labidochromis caeruleus ( yellows) are usually quite placid as cichlids go but will really defend their young to death. Once they start breeding there are so many youngsters that's it nothing gets a look in...Flying foxes i think will mix with them and rainbow fish most Tetra's too i think like the Red eye. But best look up . I know the synodontis cat would be fine. :)

Edited by Dave H

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Thanks Fishkeeper, that's very kind of you. The planted corner unit especially is a work in progress, it's actually quite a challenge to get good plant growth because of the depth.

Dave, yes, very territorial (I think you can see a pair of males displaying in the photo). They're also obviously mouthbrooders, so there is little opportunity for the eggs or hatchlings to be chomped, and the tank has so much ocean rock that the fry are able easily to disappear from harm's way. I had a couple of cuckoo catfish in there, but the didn't do a very good job on the birth control - might have to find something a bit more bitey!

I think those clown loach are only a few years old - they seem pretty happy. Ideally I'd have them in a bigger shoal, but they don't really belong in that tank.

Very hardy Clowns and will attack in packs if defending themselves.Clowns too will survive in hardy water or soft but i found on the softer side for best colours. Many big predators will not tackle them. I think it depends if you want the labs to fade away or be exterminated. You can take them to a shop as PX. You will get peanuts but better than nothing :)

That's the thing with Cichlids so many are predators...

Edited by Dave H

Our water is so hard that I've given up trying to fix it - I used to percolate water for the Amazonian tank through a dustbin full of peat! Thing is, my favourite fish shop acclimates everything to local tapwater before sale, so there's nothing there that won't tolerate hard water. I may get an RO unit at some point, though.

I was going to get my local fish guy to take some cichlids off me, but then the wife piped up in the shop and said they're looking a bit inbred now! So he may not want them... There was the odd one that looked a bit Quasimodo, I admit, but most of them look ok!

For predation, just something that will take fish under an inch would knock the breeding on the head, I think.

Edited by Steve Walker

There are plenty out there steve as i am sure you will find out that will take them but is it temporary with the predator or are you looking to keep it.

most odd balls will wipe them out. eels such as the tire track for sure. Silver sharks should although they might not at that size. Puffers such as Fahaka will but you will never get anything to keep with it. Bass certainly will . African Knife fish.

Hard water is hard water all these mixtures or sticking a ton of bogwood in there does nothing you are just stuck with it. The middle of the road fish will be OK usually. I am guessing Milawi's are what you have have you tried other lake. Shell dwellers are amusing to watch and then the tiger perch. fantastic fish but not cheap ...

You could get a Garfish they will clean them ourt but try not to get the Miami as within a few years you will have to put them in a swimming pool but they are fascinating to watch...:)

Edited by Dave H