Someone was telling me recently of a time when a fox came and killed 12 geese or chickens and just left them. I already knew that foxes kill for the sake of it, unlike most other animals. I started wondering why they evolved that way. You'd think a better solution for survival would be only to kill what they need to eat, cos that way there would be bigger food stocks remaining for next time.

Has anyone got any theories?

john clarke

I'll propose a hypothesis, but I am not bold enough to claim that it is a theory.

They'll only do that in a domestic situation, in the wild a fox is lucky if he get's one. Also when you say that they "kill for the sake of it" you are making an anthropomorphization.

When Brown Bears are feeding on sallmon running up a river, they seldom eat all of the fish, they don't have time. They have to pile on the fat in order to survive hibernation so they only eat the bits of the fish that have most fat and leave the rest.

If you ever get the chance, go and visit the hydro electricity plant in Pitlochry when the salmon are running, You can go to the visitor centre and watch the salmon running up the fish ladder. You often see a salmon with a big chunk taken out, just behind the gills. I've been told that seals do this, I don't know if that is true or not.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

True. I think a lot of peolpe misunderstand evolution,. Many can't grasp that there is no purpose, no design in evolution, no ladder, no "chain of being" it is more like a tree. If we could reset the evolutionary "clock" back to the time of the Cambrian Explosion and let it run again, it's unlikely that any of the plants and animals we see today would be here, and even less likely that Homo sapiens would have evolved.t

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Foxes kill to eat , thats their instinct , it s in their nature , put Foxes in a position where theres more than they can Eat they get confused but their instinct is still to kill . An extreme example maybe :) , but in essence its the same thing , throw things together that were once controlled

The more i practice the luckier i get :)

Cory,

That might be true execpt for Divine Providence.

Phone

There is no need for that hypothesis.

Edited by corydoras

Rather kill more than they can eat i suggest its kill lots but dont have the time to take them away.

I once watched a fox waste half an hour trying to carry off three apples but kept dropping the last one and starting again ,in the end something spooked it and it fled leaving one behind .had it have the sense to carry two and come back for two more it would have got many apples ,i presume it treats dead chickens like apples so you think its killing for kkllings sake but in reality its not using its head

Foxes do hide food burying it for later so i doubt they kill for the sake of killing anyway but ket confused when they get lucky with their chicken windfall

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

There is no need for that hypothesis.

Why, ? because it dos not suit you to see posts like that ?

Is there a need for your hypothesis Cory, always beating down any resemblance or a hint of a faith reply ?

Edited by Andrew

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”