I was not aware that fox snares are illegal now. When did that happen? In fact a quick google reveals that snaring is still legal. I am not suggesting it is humane though.

I'm not sure about the legislation in England, but I know that snares are permitted, even favoured north of the Border.

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/S3_PublicPetitionsCommittee/Submissions_08/08-PE1124F.pdf

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Bring back the hunt. Jobs and income for the surrounding area's from the hunt.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

I don't support the ban of hunting of foxes with dogs, but let's not pretend that it is an efficient method of fox control. A couple of guys with lamps and rifles can pop more foxes in a couple of weeks then a hunt can in a year.

I have an uncle who is a shepherd. In the lambing season he will probably snare 5 or 6 foxes a week? What hunt kills 5 foxes per man per week, pray tell?

Do you know that some English hunts used to import live foxes from Fife if the local population was getting a bit low?

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

There is no legal definition of 'vermin'. It just applies to any species that is destrucrive or injurious to health, and that of course includes foxes. They don't need to appear on a FAC and can be shot with impunity with a licensed shotgun too.

Not in UK law, but there is on the FAC! It may vary between districts and FEOs but vermin (from the point of view of the police) does not include foxes. To shoot foxes they need to be specifically added to your FAC!

SAC doesn't have the same requirements for listing quarry but obvious commonsense would apply to shooting a dog sized animal with a shotgun!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

As a falconer the fox hunt irritates me. Some hunts ride with a hawk or falcon on their fist as it supposed to make it then legal. They have no training and the poor thing hangs of its jesses and once i know they broke the birds legs . I think and i say think it was not used by the force of the huge falconry lobby complaining and rightly so.

I feel a 50 page debate now coming on regarding fox hunting... Cor ydorus and chesters take it away Bring on the Hunt !!! :yahoo:

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I didn't support the hunting ban because I don't like the government going round banning things.. Every time something is banned someone loses a freedom they used to have, but it irks me when they claim it's an efficient form of fox control, when it is not.

Bring back the hunt. Jobs and income for the surrounding area's from the hunt.

Most still exist its not illegal to chase foxes with dogs its how they die,there little employment due to hunting it mostly comes with horse ownership which isnt directly connected ,you rarely just buy a horse because a hunt is nearby just as you dont buy a car purely because a motorway is built nearby

The easiest way to get rid of numbers of foxes isnt hunting its banning hunting the reason a great number of foxes are left to live in the country

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I don't support the ban of hunting of foxes with dogs, but let's not pretend that it is an efficient method of fox control. A couple of guys with lamps and rifles can pop more foxes in a couple of weeks then a hunt can in a year.

I have an uncle who is a shepherd. In the lambing season he will probably snare 5 or 6 foxes a week? What hunt kills 5 foxes per man per week, pray tell?

Do you know that some English hunts used to import live foxes from Fife if the local population was getting a bit low?

Yes mostly because the hunts disbanded especially in ww1 ,on returning they found the farmers had almost exterminated the fox population as there was no reason to keep them alive ,as you say the population was re-established with scots foxes whos legs are longer than the english version had ,i presume because they did mountain climbing in the close season.

Fox hunting does control foxes but in the opposite way to what you think

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Surely a few hunts a year would generate some sort of cash income for the surrounding area.

Buying a good horse for the hunt, well i disagree with you there. Having a good horse is like a good tool. Have it stabled near the hunt will, IMHO, create income.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Surely a few hunts a year would generate some sort of cash income for the surrounding area.

Buying a good horse for the hunt, well i disagree with you there. Having a good horse is like a good tool. Have it stabled near the hunt will, IMHO, create income.

Hunts dont exist as a thing or place ,its a loose collection of people meeting in different places a couple of times a week ,a few (<10%)own horses brought in from somewhere else very few are close enough to ride there so the local connection other than the master and hounds may exist in the same place (they are transported about as well) the idil of the hunting scene in the movies has long gone unless the meeting is at the masters house where the hunt rides out from there to a local farm

The rest of the hunt are supporters (could be from anywhere and are horseless) and a few terrier men who now are technically there to block holes or dig to foxes and shoot them if the fox goes to ground

Hand on heart our village does better out of ramblers and cyclists as the hunt doesnt come through the village but the pub may catch a few supporters with more money than sense to pay the inflated charges it extracts from the stupid

The hunt meets up by the pond ,twice now i have seen a fox sitting in a swim waiting for the hunt to go away ,i presume it knows it cannot be hunted on the land ,its seems totally unflustered with the hounds being less than 50 yards away ,it must be experience of the hunt a shot fox gets little experience so hunting makes foxes harder to catch and only the weak or stupid are singled out which is pretty well the way nature would work

Edited by chesters1