It;s all alien (what happens in the English countryside) to you this isn't it?. Next time you look at a split shot box have a look and a thinki about what AAAs and BBs and even No4 shot good for (apart from wildfowl).

Shotguns even have their ligitimate uses for shoting people in certain circumstances. be asured that thousands of foxes are killed with shotguns, and many more are yet to be.

I think not, I've been shooting live quarry in this country since I was a child. I've also witnessed arseholes shooting a fox running down the line at a pheasant shoot...11 barrels later the vixen was still alive...like I said, commonsense. Come on Emma, I expect better than that from you, the rules of shooting?. If you don't think you can kill the quarry with a shot then don't take it...taking a pop at a fox at 30 yards with no. 5 or 6 is not going to kill a fox, it's just ferking stupid, victorian-minded stupidity.

A lot of "country folk" don't like foxes but that's largely a result of lack of knowledge and bloody mindedness....would you take a large pike out of a lake because it's eating trout?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Oh Ok. You if you don't actually SEE the fox killing your lambs in the middle of the night, it's your fault?

Oh for fux sake, grow up and read the words. I didn't say no foxes ever kill lambs and I didn't say that no foxes should ever be killed. Stop being such a cock!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

As i have said all along that those who have worked or lived or spent long times in the countryside know what they are capable off. They are wild and i don't blame them they are what they are but they ruin farmers lives and god they have it tough enough as it is.

No, they don't ruin farmers lives, don't be so dramatic. Any farmer in this day and age that can't keep their stock away from little red dogs shouldn't be running a farm...or getting ridiculous compensation from you and me everytime a vet passes on bTB to their cattle and some muppet from the govt. blames it on badgers.

Are you sure your birds don't carry the bacterium?

How long can it stay alive in a suitable pasture?

How long is it before a farmer can re-stock with beasts (at the tax-payers expense)....see what I mean about stupidity, farmers, facts and real life?

Now name an animal in the UK that cannot carry the bTB bacterium....

and whilst you're at it, explain why the most tested farms are the ones with the highest positive results...surely can't be anything to do with Humans (vets) transmitting it could it?

Edited by Worms

So? What has that got to do with me not shooting foxes but eating non-native meat?...sorry, I just don't see the relevance of your comment. If farmers want to produce non-native produce what 'right' do they have to shoot native predators if they're not prepared to spend time and money preventing predation?

Do you think that otters should be killed because they eat money making carp?

Or buzzards because they eat non-native rabbits?

So you are a shepherd on a 5,000 acre scottish hill farm, on very rugged terrain. This is not wee hills like the English Lake District

, this is in the Grampians. What steps do I take to preevent the foxes coming in the night and killing lambs that are being born that night?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

So you are a shepherd on a 5,000 acre scottish hill farm, on very rugged terrain. This is not wee hills like the English Lake District

, this is in the Grampians. What steps do I take to preevent the foxes coming in the night and killing lambs that are being born that night?

I thought you lived next to a supermarket in Southampton.

There are no steps to prevent all foxes...or golden eagles come to that...or do you suggest that they are shot as well?

Why not do what a lot of people do and keep them inside to lamb. When they're big enough to run faster than a fox (not bloody long) they can ensure the best health of ewe and lambs and prevent possible predation...oh, I suppose then that would mean spending money...anathema to farmers unless it comes from the public purse of course....It would also save shepherds etc. having to traipse miles over barren moorlands and getting their sporrans wet.

Obviously, in more developed countries than Scotland, where they have slightly larger predators than the red fox, e.g. Botswana and similar countries they allow for natural wastage...but what do they know with their meagre beef production?

And just to be mildly antagonistic....if foxes are so predatory and, Man is so superior in his ways, why do we still have loads of foxes and loads of rich farmers?

I'm not going to talk to you any more. I don't debate with the uninformed. I did'nt always live in Southampton I was born and bred on Scottish Hill farms. Bringin sheep inside to lamb is just not practical. You don't know what you are talking about.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Ok, night!

"I was born and bred on Scottish Hill farms"

Not a very good excuse...

Edited by Worms

When you are ready to move on from ad hominen and straw man arguments I'll be ready to debate.

. Come on Emma, I expect better than that from you, the rules of shooting?. If you don't think you can kill the quarry with a shot then don't take it...taking a pop at a fox at 30 yards with no. 5 or 6 is not going to kill a fox, it's just ferking stupid, victorian-minded stupidity.

A lot of "country folk" don't like foxes but that's largely a result of lack of knowledge and bloody mindedness....would you take a large pike out of a lake because it's eating trout?

There is much more to shooting foxes with a shotgun than pot shotting with brd (5, 6 shot) in the course of a daytime pheasant shoot, but there are no 'rules' either formal or informal about using a shotgun to take foxes.

I understand the motives behind your sentiments, the shooting at things with weapons not powerful enough for the job, for example I stopped shooting hares almost 30 years ago as so many simply rolled up and carried on running while clearly carrying a load of lead.

Laamping a fox at night (and always backed up with a lurcher who knows his business) is a different matter altogether.

We live in a densely populated country, firearms (rifles) can be restrictive tools, for example one must always be sure of where a round is going to land should it miss or pass straight through the target, even here in therelatively remote lake district there is the constant concern about walkers, campers(and anglers!) and tourists in general who are liable to turn up literally anywhere, One night we found a German hiker sleeping in the open in a field where we were shooting rabbits using .22 HV ammo.

Some of the tennant farmers have to allow campsites, the darkness, people sleeping in tents on the ground and rifles are not a mix which allows for free safe shooting of foxes (or anything else).

I will be out at sometime this week with my son attempting to knock off 2 foxes (different locations). 4 Barrels of AAAs at a 'squeaked in. matey no further than 10 to 15 yards and a back up dog. Perfectly legal and perfectly effective too.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"