Aims and targets for 2013

redtail

Hoping for a two pound roach from my "secret" pond this season. The fish are there; I just need to put one on the bank. There are some good perch in there too - to over three - so with a little luck....

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

My target is the same as every year, try and catch a river 30lb plus pike, has one out at 25lb 3oz this year and theres been a couple of heavier ones that I know about so its possible, possible but very very hard and its the expectation thing that gets me going, I also like to have a target of double figure barbel when I aim for those and some years manage it sometimes not but again its the not knowing what takes your bait that gets me out on the bank

Catching fish of any size of your target species is what the plans all about but when it all comes together and you get a real lump out then its one of those red letter days you remember for years

• Like 1

My target is the same as every year, try and catch a river 30lb plus pike, has one out at 25lb 3oz this year and theres been a couple of heavier ones that I know about so its possible, possible but very very hard and its the expectation thing that gets me going, I also like to have a target of double figure barbel when I aim for those and some years manage it sometimes not but again its the not knowing what takes your bait that gets me out on the bank

Catching fish of any size of your target species is what the plans all about but when it all comes together and you get a real lump out then its one of those red letter days you remember for years

Good luck with your targets, my pike target is a little more modest at 10lb but I would also love to catch a double figure barbel - awesome fish

Targets for 2013:

Coarse Fishing: to actually do some.

Sea Fishing: to experiment with Light Rock Fishing, I am just waiting for the Blenny run to start.

Trout and Fly: Do some wild Brown Trout fishing in Urban areas (Like in the book "Trout in Dirty Places). Catch a decent Bonefish.

Destination Fishing: Bonefish as above, catch a Sailfish, Permit on a Fly :)

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Targets for 2013:

Coarse Fishing: to actually do some.

Sea Fishing: to experiment with Light Rock Fishing, I am just waiting for the Blenny run to start.

Trout and Fly: Do some wild Brown Trout fishing in Urban areas (Like in the book "Trout in Dirty Places). Catch a decent Bonefish.

Destination Fishing: Bonefish as above, catch a Sailfish, Permit on a Fly :)

Thats a great set of targets, good luck and I hope you bag them all

I think I would love to learn how to gut fish properly. I think I can do ok at Mackeral or Trout but it would be nice to know how to prepare coarse fish. Learn how to gut and dress a Pike or Zander or a decent sized Common Carp, my initial thoughts are that Mirrors and Leathers would be a little easier to descale.

I have always wondered if Carp would make good cut bait for predator fishing. Buffalo is popular in the US for Gar so why not use Carp fillets for Pike. I bet little Carp make most excellent live baits.

EDIT: Just had another aim, see how many species I can turn in to bait this year, a kinda bait rod race based on seeing how many species I can use as bait live or dead.

ADDITIONAL EDIT: Doh, I already know that little Carp make great baits, so no need to wonder :-)

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Normally I know what I want to do each year...... this year I'm struggling though.

Last year I had more fun fishing then I had for a while learning to lure fish and doing lots of small sessions fishing for Pike and then as the season went on perch and chub (chub on a lure are so much fun!). This year I'm not sure if I should try something different or carry on lure fishing.

Currently I'm thinking about trying to target bigger perch and chub on lures (biggest after 1 season 1lb 1oz perch and 3lb chub) so I'd like to aim for a 2lb perch on a lure and 5lb chub. Also Pike fish with weedless frogs on the weedy venues near me.

So probably nothing new, just a continuation from last year with higher aims...... unless an interesting oppurtunity comes along :-)

Phone, no need for a hard hat around here. ANers for the most part hate Carp and blame all the ills of the world on the Carp and or Carp anglers.

Thanks for the tip for the flatheads, I would love to catch one some day and you can't beat local knowledge on how to fish abroad.

I might need a hard hat if I was to suggest Tench as live baits which I think are a much better choice as those big paint brush tails keep them active for ages. That's why I suggested Carp but between you and me a Tench is better.

Cats can certainly take a good sized bait, the one in my avator wolfed down a huge Carp.

In Phone fashion. Note to self: Sometimes those Tench baits bury themselves in the weed, so some sort of pop up presentation or sunken float patternoster rig might be necessary :-)

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek