Knot2Kinky trace wire - anyone used it / have experience?

philocalist

I've got an opportunity to buy quite an amount of this stuff at silly prices - maybe 25% of retail - as a by-product of some other stuff being sold as a job-lot. There is a variety of breaking strains up to 100BS - I think all are in 15' lengths and normally retail at between £15 and £20 depending on the BS.

Apparently it's quite hi-tech nickel / titanium construction stuff, courtesy of research done for the US Naval Ordnance Laboratory, and classed as a 'shape memory alloy'! - a different beasty altogether from 'normal' trace wire (apart from anything else it can be safely knotted!)

This all sound very interesting, but I'm wondering whether it's all just guff to sell an expensive product, or are there real benefits in use if you are prepared to pay a premium price?

Does anyone have any actual experience with this stuff, good or bad? What is it really like with regards knotting (I'm suspecting that knots may not be as neat as with mono etc, or indeed, 'special' knots - and can it be crimped or twisted if desired, like normal wire?

Site is below for anyone interested / curious ... they also do 'invisible' swivels! :D

http://www.aquateko.com/category_s/57.htm

Edited by philocalist

I've never used this particular brand but in general, if you can knot it then it won't do well twisted and probably not crimped. Should be more fun to fish with than standard stiffish wire though.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I use it in 35lb for pike lure traces. I think its brilliant but some people hate it. Apparently you can knot it but I don't like the idea of that.

Its tricky to crimp as if you do it 'normally' then the wire stretches and becomes thinner under strain and can pull out of the crimp. If you go through the crimp and then tuck the tag end back in to the crimp then they tend to hold OK. Forget twisting it. Its too stiff and will spring back to the original shape - straight.

Its great stuff because its very thin and stiff so does not tangle. Very rarely does it kink. Make sure you test all traces thouroughlybefore using them and you'll be fine. Don't use a trace that has an obvious kink as that will be a weak spot.

Been using it and selling it for over 6 months now I really rate it.Not sure if the stretch actually helps but it does last for ages! Got one (35lb) that Ive taken over 40 fish on now! For the full details and to buy go to my website- www.bass-online.co.uk

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!