Help Please strange visitor to garden today

nursejudy

Can someone please tell me what this bird is,i know its a rubbish picture but have not seen this bird in garden before,thought at first it was a gold finch but sure its not as it looks pinky on its breast and the red top is in a different place

IMG_0582.jpg

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

WOW, that's good camouflage on the bird.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Hi Judy, not been around much today (moving my son to Wales) I think it's a Redpoll, that's "lesser redpoll" - carduelis cabaret.

I thought Linnet at first glance. Have you heard it sing, Judy?; it's quite a distinctive tune - http://sounds.bl.uk/Environment/British-wildlife-recordings/022M-W1CDR0001391-0800V0

Edit - Got to say, though, the males of both species are very similar. The songs are very different, though, and provide a good point of identification.

Edited by robtherake

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

i was sat having a coffee and using the zoom on my camera just looking in the trees at the bottom of the garden .. trying for more natural piccys as you have advised me when i caught a glimpse of it

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

• 2 weeks later...

The thing about linnet is that they are sociable birds - always in flocks - so if you see one, there are others nearby.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I'm with Ajay, Lesser Redpoll for me it appears to have a yellow rather than a blue-grey one.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Have to say I agree, despite my first post, it's a male lesser redpoll.

hadn't noticed the head is a definite brownish colour rather than the grey I would expect on a linnet, sorry for the misleading info Judy

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?