Whose right?

Pangolin

Water hoggers can be a right pain, often kipping in a bivvy with no bait on just to hog a swim till dusk. As previous replies - your swim is to the centre of the lake & half to each side - yup endy swims are tight but we all know lunkers like the margins - especialy if the rest of the lake is festooned in lines! :) Any angler who won't play should have their book marked and reported to the club involved - any angler who won't show his membership book should be asked to leave the fishery! If i've turned up early & set out a long line to the margin oposite & later someone turns up there I take it as 'the rub of the green' & hope when I come down for a few hours one evening someone else has baited up for me

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happen to me last season on a pit I was fishing for bream. The pit has a 90 degree corner. When I arrived there was a Carp angler fishing 20 yards up the right-hand bank from the corner. I drop in on the left-hand bank about 60 yards down and start to test the depth with the depthfinder float. Down comes MR Real Tree man, Can't fish there mate, I'm fishing one rod 20 yards parallel to the bank! Ask him how far down this bank he was fishing? Right over there in the far corner, he replies. That corner was 250-300 yards away and he was using a baitboat to reach it!

My words to him were something like, aren't you carp anglers really, really, really considerate kind of people?**************

I moved on to the bank facing him and rang the Sec. on the mobile and complained about it. This season it's in the card that if angler using baitboat are reported fishing and taking up 8-10 swims by using them, they'll be banned and the bailiff has been instructed to pay particular attention to this inconsiderate type of fishing. I also had that night, three bream and needless to say Real Tree Man blanked all weekend. This didn't surprised me, as where he'd been fishing is known as No Fish Bay and thirty foot deep. What a plonker!!!!!

phil h.

tricky one this...

i agree with budgie on this one,if when you arrive you can move your rods to where you choose or cast to where you intend to fish if someone turns up do the right thing and move,it might even go in your favour--if they are sitting on ya lap i can see why people would get annoyed! i sometimes have problems when drifting for pike,lots of carp anglers spread out not to happy about my deadbaits etc being drifted over there baits! :P

its seems mainly a problem with carp anglers purley because they fish further out than most.i've heard of problems at fishers green too babel anglers dropping baits 2-3 swims away from where there siting as not to spook anything-but no-one else can get in!never understood that-casting to the far bank feature -creep round 'n catch em under the tip...

[ 12. May 2004, 03:47 AM: Message edited by: ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Although I take a swipe at carp anglers, on rare occasions, I am surprised to see 'carp' anglers being painted as the bad guys here. I think Budgie was bang on in his reference to 'one species' anglers being so far up their own *rses. Mister RealTree Man! Like that one, nice one Phil!! That name is going to stick :D .

Guest sslatter

It's not just (some) carpies..there is a particular type of fair weather "angler" (I use the term loosely) who come out when the sun is shining, pull out their spinning rods, and go thrashing along the estuary..

If I had a quid for every one of these anglers who has said to me:

"Mind if I spin through your swim, mate?"

..I'd have a few quid, that's for sure.

I have to say that I pretty much agree with what's been said already. In priciple if we've all paid the same for our ticket, then we're all entitled to our share of the water. Of course, some swims are better than others so it pays to arrive early. If the far bank is inaccessible for some reason the a long cast across the lake may be in order but otherwise its the middle and half way to the swims either side. If the waters deserted, however, then why not use it provided you're prepared move if someone else arrives.

Shame the trouble makers are not going to read this unlike all the nice reasonable people who ferquent this forum :)

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.

Lure fishermen, and I class myself as one, who fish near other anglers, are a problem. Surely they realise that their style of angling, especially with big pike lures, is not compatible with those sitting quietly watching their float or whatever. As for anglers who fish across a pond rather than walk round it, thus preventing others from fishing, well, grrrrrrrrrrrr says it all!!

Guest sslatter

Hi Pete..

I've got absolutely no problem with lure anglers (of which I too am one) who act responsibly towards other anglers' "rights" and "needs". Any experienced lure angler ought to know not to spin through another's swim, and most of them do act responsibly.

As usual, it's just the few who spoil it for the many.

You may know that I mostly fish for mullet these days, and I have to say that some mulleteers are just as bad, casting very close to you (if you don't watch it!) across your line, and swimjumping and swimhogging as well.

It's really no different..

In days of old, when I was young, and one or two on A.N. were middle aged, there were such things as unwritten rules. Bankside etiquette, sporting code, call it what you will, but there was a time when there was a mutual level of expectation regarding behaviour between fellow anglers. You would simply take it for granted that another angler would behave to you as you would to them.

It isn't just an anti-social trait amongst anglers though, it's society in general. And it's something that got far worse under thatcherism.

Treat others as you would expect to be treated is a simple value in life, but one that is seemingly long forgotten by many. Perhaps a case of being dragged up rather than brought up!!

That we feel a need to even discuss this subject is a pretty poor reflection on today's sporting behaviour really :(.