Unable to get Windows updates

Colin Brett

As above. Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. Followed all the help stuff but to no avail. Any suggestions apart from a reinstall?

You lucky, lucky, lucky bastard! :yahoo:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

if system readiness tool doesn't work:

create a new user profile;

control panel>users

make it an admin. reart pc, log into new profile and test windows update. if that works you have a profile corruption issue and can just continue to use the new profile after you have transferred everything across.

formatting is gonna be the very very last resort! :)

• 1 month later...

if system readiness tool doesn't work:

create a new user profile;

control panel>users

make it an admin. reart pc, log into new profile and test windows update. if that works you have a profile corruption issue and can just continue to use the new profile after you have transferred everything across.

formatting is gonna be the very very last resort! :)

OK Finally got around to doing the above to no avail.

I had a thought and as I have a 32 bit version of wW7 installed I thought I'd give that a try!

Sadl the same result.

Any other ideas please?

hmmm your really stuck on this one eh?

are you running service pack 1?

if not then manually download it from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

to be honest it might well be worth reinstalling it anyway if it will allow you to.

ive known system that wont update at all without having SR1 installed first.

Edited by kirisute

hmmm your really stuck on this one eh?

are you running service pack 1?

if not then manually download it from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

to be honest it might well be worth reinstalling it anyway if it will allow you to.

ive known system that wont update at all without having SR1 installed first.

SR1 is installed. It looks like I'm going to have to live with this one for the time being.

Thanks for trying.

Colin

boot from your cd

choose install

then choose repair your computer (bottom left of screen)

don't go too far through the boot up options its only the 2nd or 3rd page...if you go too far youll just reinstall windows! LOL!

choose command prompt

then type chkdsk /f

let that run through and then test again

if that doesn't work...do this again but this time choose restore your computer using system restore

then check the system restore options for the last update installed..then restore to that point and test

I was suffering the same problems with Win7 Pro, I tried all of Kiri's advice but no joy. I ended up doing an 'update' re-install...Seems to be working ok so far, I can attach and download from my camera and 'phone...these had failed over the last couple of weeks and i couldn't upgrade SP1!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I reinstalled in the end it downloaded updates but couldnt install them ,then it couldnt do a backup or more importantly restore one in the end i did a settings transfer ,a mozbackup and formatted and did a clean install.

strangely the exact same problem has just occured it refused to back up past 7% a peek on the WWW instantly found a cure (fingers crossed but its at 57% now) in services both virtual disk and shadow copy hadnt started ,starting them appear to have prompted my pc to comply

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson