Oz 2013 report 3

Snatcher

I fancied a change of venue for the next session so I asked my daughter to drop us off at Manly Aquarium. Not to fish inside it but to fish off the jetty at the rear of it lol. I had fished this spot last year with my aussie mate Ollie and he got a big salmon on livebaited yellowtail here. He also said that you can pick up all the harbour big fish species at this point including all the shark species.

This was me setting up

IMG_0406_zps73483dbe.jpg

First off was to fill my large livebait drum with seawater and then crumb some bread in to get the yellowtails feeding. Then the hard bit was to hook them on size 14 hooks baited with small bits of squid. We managed to get two fish in the first hour !!!! Not good.

IMG_0409_zps93951862.jpg

My heavier rod had 20lb mono on the fixed spool and I was using a running ledger. The hook length was 12" of 60lb mono to a 4/0 bronze hook. I knew that sharks were possible but did not want to use wire trace as this would probably put off my target fish - kingfish,bonito,salmon,flathead,jewfish etc.

All the harbour beaches have shark-proof safe swim areas. This is the one on Manly Wharf Beach where we were swimming. It was a very pleasant place to fish.

IMG_0410_zpsd31f6211.jpg

It took about an hour before I had a run on the livebait and as I had the drag set to zero the fish screamed off quite a bit of line before I was able to tighten into it. I was not expecting such a battle and had the fish on for about a minute before the line went slack.

On reeling in I found that my main line was cleanly cut !!!! My suspicion is that a shark had wolfed down the bait that far its teeth had cut my main line. Mental note to myself - use a longer hook length next time. At this point Dorothy got a bit bored and had a wander around the nearby shops. I needed more livebaits quickly so I decided to change my tactics to get them. Will not tell you exactly what I did but lets just say I had 7/8 livebaits in the bucket by the time Dorothy returned about 20 mins later. These are the yellowtails I was using for bait.

IMG_0412_zps2e350c22.jpg

After losing that first fish things died down and I only had two more half hearted runs that bit chunks out of the livebait. It was roasting hot so had to content myself watching some topless sunbathers on the beach. Would have taken a few pervy photos for the boys but would have got earache off the wife lol

What a lovely place to catch nothing though. This is the entrance to Sydney Harbour as seen from our fishing spot.

IMG_0413_zps87ef402c.jpg

While trying to catch yellowtail I did manage a new species though. At the time I did not know what it was but it looked to one of the puffer fish species. I therefore carefully shook it free using long nosed pliers. It has since been identified as a banded toadfish and poisonous !!!

IMG_0407cropped_zpsd594f0c8.jpg

Well another poor trip but at least got my tan topped up. Plan to persist with this livebaiting and hopefully actually land something decent next time. I am going to respool with some 35lb mono I brought over and use a longer hooklength. I may even rig up a rubbing leader.

John

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Glad to see you are having a good time John, despite all those bait-stealing tobies.

A point about bite-offs

Sometimes, when using fish baits, you get bite-offs on the main line, a long way up from the trace.

Its not always down to the fish you hooked !

What happens is that the hooked fish ejects the bait, then the fish-bait slides up the line as the hooked fish runs. Then another fish grabs the bait and ...PING!

In clear water I have actually seen this happen - two or three times with tigerfish, several times with piranha, and twice with porbeagle shark. Fishing for anything with teeth that swims in shoals or groups, it is worth thinking about some sort of baffle to prevent the ejected bait from sliding off the trace and up the line.

Looking forward to episode 4

Edited by Vagabond
  • Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Thanks for the input Dave :sun: Could be fishing for jewfish is Sydney harbour with a local tomorrow night. Looking forward to that :D

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

At the time I did not know what it was but it looked to one of the puffer fish species. I therefore carefully shook it free using long nosed pliers. It has since been identified as a banded toadfish and poisonous !!!

IMG_0407cropped_zpsd594f0c8.jpg

John
G'day mate, they are NOT poisonous to hold, only to eat. If you prefer, you can use a wet rag to hold them as they are smooth skinned and therefore, quite slippery.

• Like 1

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.