It seems we need more tackle

Old geezer

But learning how to 'dink' fish was the whole purpose of the clip, or was it to laugh at the guy because of all his gear? I think it was the latter, but it's his choice, not my scene, but it's bl00dy grim 'up North and nowt else ta do lad.

Oh! and the venue is a Canal, they were built mostly in the Reign of Queen Victoria, (the Victorian era) the canals were built for transportation of cargo right into the hearts of our cities. Did you know Birmingham (not Alabama) has more canals than Venice?.

Birmingham is about 40 miles from where I live Venice is a bit further, I have seen both, and I can confirm the only thing the two cities have in common is Canals.

Question for you?

What is a Joker that the angler used in the clip?

Calm down my Mexican friend. I didn't post it as a comparison. it was just a little bit of humour between Phone and myself, as well as being appropriate to the thread.

Having spent much of my early angling life on the match circuit, even I found it amusing. I've fished with and against some top matchmen, but never known any of them bring large electric items from their tool kit to their peg.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

1last,

Plleeeeezzzzzeee! I have google you know. "Joker is an insect larvae similar to bloodworm but is a lot smaller". I can even tell you how to feed them with a "pole cup" (what the 'ell is a pole cup?. I suppose next you're going to ask me about my "leam"?

I was surprised to learn that insect larvae are mostly illegal or at least forbidden.

Just like The Shadow - "gozzer knows".

Phone

Phone, bloodworm & joker are the larvae of chironomid midges, collected from the mud at the bottom of ponds. They are sometimes banned from competitions for two reasons;

1. They are very good

2. They are very expensive

Example prices;

http://www.goldvalleylakes.com/tackle-shop/bait-prices/

I could never understand not allowing it on matches, if you can't afford it, or couldn't be bothered to put in a bit of work bait collecting it, tough.

The few times I used bloodworm, was when I collected it myself. The rest of the time when I didn't, was when I couldn't be bothered making the effort, my fault.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Phone, there is a big bait market in the US for "bloodworm", but they're a kind of marine worm used for sea fishing. Could be there are people using chironomid larvae, but it doesn't sound like a US style to me.

Your trout boys use imitations of them, though, and are familiar with the term for chironomid larvae.

John, same reason they banned wasp grub.

I often use a food mixer bankside, my yorkshire puddings wouldn't rise without it. It's hard work hauling the oven to my chosen swim though, I might get one of those trolleys.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Guest 1lastcast

Calm down my Mexican friend. I didn't post it as a comparison. it was just a little bit of humour between Phone and myself, as well as being appropriate to the thread.

Having spent much of my early angling life on the match circuit, even I found it amusing. I've fished with and against some top matchmen, but never known any of them bring large electric items from their tool kit to their peg.

John.

I am calm, and I am not Mexican, but if you want to be my friend we will have to wait and see....

However my comment was made to Phone but if you have taken offence I will try and put the record straight in saying that I was at a loss as to what was so funny, I suppose the mixer was a bit odd but nothing to split one's side over and a good cry thrown in. In fact it was rather a eye opener, sort of the other end of the scale to all those big is better vids we get rammed at us. The fact he caught in such conditions was a great effort in my opinion, probably not the main thrust of the link, but it was that I took from it not laughing at the guy.

Besides he probably is a plasterer.

Most bloodworm and joker sold in the uk is imported from Poland.

It gets banned as it can make catching small silvers on other baits hard.

Electric whisks made from drills are a common sight at commercials where large amounts are being made up for use on a method feeder.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!