Sprung a leak

Andy_1984

The seal on the side of aquarium sprung a leak the other day, only a few tiny beads of water seeped through and it has stopped now, however you can clearly see the seal is knackered.

I went to get prices for a new one and at my dimensions £60 was the going rate, couldn't have come at a worse time financially so I opted for a reseal of the entire tank instead of the affected area only. £26 all in which I suppose is pretty good.

I'm only assuming that a full reseal would be a better solution than doing one side only, something about stressing the opposite and bottom seal pops into my mind but I dunno ?

Anyone have any experience with full reseals, how reliable is it, anything I should watch out for from dodgy workmanship etc.

Aquarium shop owner coming in a few days to do it on-site.

post-7003-0-56958900-1364686668_thumb.jpg

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

A full reseal is always the best option.

Make sure that he/she uses a safe silicone sealant and not a cheaper alternative.

Ensure the tank is fully dry for at least 12 hours and allow it to cure for twice the recommended length of time than that stated.

Also fill your tank in stanges, 1/3rd at a time over 24 hours, as it allows the pressure to build slowly.

A reseal done correctly is as good as buying a new tank.

Buy some single sided razor blades, a bottle of acetone, some good masking tape and learn how to build or re-build your own tanks. It's not rocket science.

The golden rule is that the panes should be assembled thus:

diyglass.jpg

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote