Targeting dace next river season

tiddlertamer

I think trotting (with a pin) is by far the best method for catching a good bag of Dace, and you'll catch whatever size is in front of you, size of fish in the shoal can obviously vary but very often I've found they are all very similar in size, the Hants Avon has some tremendous Dace fishing, you can, if you're lucky, catch fish between 8-12oz one after another, other times of course they will be smaller. Never had a real biggie from the Avon.

I've been fortunate enough to catch three over the1lb mark, they all came in one winter from a small river in Hertfordshire (may have been the same fish) they were all caught in the dark on breadcrust (large) intended for Chub.

I love dace. My biggest is 10oz which looked big, a pound+ dace must look other-worldly. I doubt very much I'll ever see one. In fact, I know I won't!

There's a small river near me with some good dace fishing. Autumn seems to be the best time, as long as there's water in the river. That shouldn't be a problem this year, but lack of water for the previous few years is what's kept me from it. Hopefully the dace are still there, I'm looking forward to going back this season.

TT, if you fancy a day or two there once the rivers open, let me know :)

Hi Anderoo. Greetings too to Rusty. And the legendary dace snarer Plumb! And before this becomes an Oscars speech, everyone else who has replied.to the dace thread. Much appreciated.

Let's sort out a day trip out to a small river to see what we can catch.

I'd be happy to provide a small trophy to the winner of the Anglers Net Dace Dash...

I'd particularly like the irony of the winner walking away with the trophy whilst people who caught large chub and barbel walking away empty handed... :)

New river season a go go

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

I'm lucky as far as dace fishing goes, the rivers round here have a good head of them and i've caught lots of very nice specimines. To be honest though, they do bore me to tears after a short spell, they just don't put enough bend in the rod for me. Trotting with a pin is my favourite method :).

I sent a lot of the season a couple of seasons back looking for a pound Dace. Up to 10oz is easy and I finnished the season having had 7 at 13oz and set a new pb of 14oz. I think there may well be a pounder there somewhere, but i maybe i need to get lucky or just read that Dace book for tip on finding it. I like fishing for them and you always get an odd roach, chub, or barbel dropping in to say hello.

ps.you want to try for them gudgeon and minnows Ian, Ive had some real battles with them. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I sent a lot of the season a couple of seasons back looking for a pound Dace. Up to 10oz is easy and I finnished the season having had 7 at 13oz and set a new pb of 14oz. I think there may well be a pounder there somewhere, but i maybe i need to get lucky or just read that Dace book for tip on finding it. I like fishing for them and you always get an odd roach, chub, or barbel dropping in to say hello.

ps.you want to try for them gudgeon and minnows Ian, Ive had some real battles with them. :)

You'll most likely get your 1lb dace when your not trying to catch it. Brian, I don't think you'd need the book m8.

Them gudgeon and minnoes might be a bit to much for the Avenger !

You'll most likely get your 1lb dace when your not trying to catch it. Brian, I don't think you'd need the book m8. Them gudgeon and minnoes might be a bit to much for the Avenger !

You never know IAn the book might have some tips on how not to catch them. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

My best dace came from the Waterloo Stream, a spur of the Hampshire Avon that ran through Christchurch under the "other" bridge. I was flyfishing for seatrout from my boat, working a Peter Ross through a run at low water and had several between ten and twelve inches, cracking sport.

I also caught them up to ten inches off the stones in Christchurch harbour, trotting a stick float with double red maggot either side of the tide. These were very pale fish, as were the equally large roach, which had green backs and bright yellow fins. Thanks for reminding me. Good memories.

A free stretch of the river wear is capable of producing British record dace, but don't tell anyone.....

I was wondering when / if someone would let slip :-) ... bearing in mind (unless I'm mistaken?) that the Wear is responsible for the current record dace at 1lb 5 ounces? ..... and the river Wear isn't the only place, either. I'm aware of several swims (on a free stretch!) of another northern river that will almost always throw up big dace - 8 ounces-plus is the norm, all day long in decent conditions, and it's not at all unusual to have fish over the magic pound barrier. It's been that way pretty much constantly since I was a kid - the swims don't seem to be bothered at all by cormorants (or otters!), and pretty much anyone you see fishing on that part of the river has usually marched straight past the swims en-route to where they 'think' tha barbel are - I've rarely seen behaviour like it outside of a field of sheep, as even a small amount of common sense / watercraft would tempt them to fish in a slightly different spot - but no-one ever fishes there, so there can't be any barbel there, can there? :-)

I've always thought / wondered about what sort of fight dace would be capable of if they grew to the size of chub, as they're no slouches when hooked? :-)

Im assuming you may be referring to the tees?

There are times, particularly in the back end of winter in the new year, where the dace shoal up in the lower reaches, and when pockets of larger fish are found, some incredible sport with 8-12oz dace can be had.

All this discussion is certainly whetting my appetite for some river dace trotting, i wish you would all stop!

• Like 1

Please visit my blog at http://jimmysfishing.blogspot.com