Pike fly line recommendations

Jim Murray

Looking to get a couple of new fly lines for piking; a floater & a fast sinker, probably #8 WF. Looking for recommendations- economy if possible, as I don't see the point of spending lots on a pike fly line, unless anyone knows differently.

Only other requirement is the line must have built-in end loops...have had too much trouble with braided cast connectors in the past.

Looking to get a couple of new fly lines for piking; a floater & a fast sinker, probably #8 WF. Looking for recommendations- economy if possible, as I don't see the point of spending lots on a pike fly line, unless anyone knows differently.

Only other requirement is the line must have built-in end loops...have had too much trouble with braided cast connectors in the past.

Just an opinion this , a good qaulity line makes the fishing expeirance better not the fishing per say,

It will cast better,present better and turn over better try to go for something with quite a fast taper in a wtf any of the courtland lines should do you.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

To be honest, built in welded loops tend to be a bit poor (leader tends to cut through them) and most people just chop them off, instead opting to nail/needle knot a length of 15 to 20lb mono as a butt section, or fit a braided loop.

Braided loops only need be an issue if they are not fitted properly. If using them, discard the plastic braid sleeve, it's useless and clunks through the rod rings. These can cause damage to your rings and also cause braided loops to fail.

Instead, simply thread the braided loop over the tip of the line and push it up as far as it will go, trim the frayed ends then whip it securely in place with 8/0 or 70 denier fly tying silk. A dab of superglue over the whipping and you are sorted, it should now last the lifetime of your fly line.

With regards to fly line choice, you said probably #8 weights? What rod rating do you have?

An #8 rod and line tend to be a bit light for Piking, due to the size of the flies you will be casting. This is why most Pikers opt for #9 and even #10 weights, you need something to cast and turn over flies of the size you will be using.

You don't need to spend silly money on lines either, there's loads of top quality examples out there for less than twenty quid, some of them just as good as those selling for twice the money.

Tightlines!

The Pirate.

Edited by PitsfordPirate

To be honest, built in welded loops tend to be a bit poor (leader tends to cut through them) and most people just chop them off, instead opting to nail/needle knot a length of 15 to 20lb mono as a butt section, or fit a braided loop.

Braided loops only need be an issue if they are not fitted properly. If using them, discard the plastic braid sleeve, it's useless and clunks through the rod rings. These can cause damage to your rings and also cause braided loops to fail.

Instead, simply thread the braided loop over the tip of the line and push it up as far as it will go, trim the frayed ends then whip it securely in place with 8/0 or 70 denier fly tying silk. A dab of superglue over the whipping and you are sorted, it should now last the lifetime of your fly line.

With regards to fly line choice, you said probably #8 weights? What rod rating do you have?

An #8 rod and line tend to be a bit light for Piking, due to the size of the flies you will be casting. This is why most Pikers opt for #9 and even #10 weights, you need something to cast and turn over flies of the size you will be using.

You don't need to spend silly money on lines either, there's loads of top quality examples out there for less than twenty quid, some of them just as good as those selling for twice the money.

Tightlines!

The Pirate.

I agree with all the above exept these pionts No pike will challange a 7wt let alone an 8, 7&8 wieght rods are used for big steelhead in fast water with large extravagent lures in the US they will Hang on harder than a lazy old summer pike pound for poud! use a lighter rod and ejoy angleing the fish One of the fast taper WT forward lines will turn over a beast of Rabbit fur and Malabou fly wet if you slow things down a bit , Lines!!! you get what you pay for!.

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

I also agree that a good Pike would not be an issue on a #7 or #8 set up, goodness knows I have caught enough of them by accident whilst bashing stockies and they handled well enough, however I disagree that those weights are comfortable casting large modern Pike flies, which are in truth nothing like in size and resistence to those used for Steelhead, Kings, Sockeye etc. They are much bigger.

I don't know any serious Pike fly angler whom would fish anything less than a #9 weight and considering the welfare of the fish, anyone deliberately targeting them on a #7 or even and #8 is, with all due respect, being irresponsible. You want them hooked, then in, unhooked, revived and released as soon as. No messing about.

Paying for what you get, very true in many respects in all areas of life, although there are bargains to be had, lines included. I personally know many lines at less than twenty quid that are comparable with others twice the price. Reason I know this? Well, 'cos many are the same lines from same manufacturer, simply sold under different packaging ;)

Tightlines!

The Pirate :)

I had one break at the loop recently(on a snag) so have lost confidence in them.

Had been using an old Ron Thompson 8/9 wt. rod with no problems. I don't fish massive flies at the moment so was going to stick to a 9 wt. line maximum.

Any suggestions?

An RT #8/9 is a fine enough rod, use a #9 floater on it though and consider a #9 sink tip as well.

Tightlines!

The Pirate.

I had one break at the loop recently(on a snag) so have lost confidence in them.

Had been using an old Ron Thompson 8/9 wt. rod with no problems. I don't fish massive flies at the moment so was going to stick to a 9 wt. line maximum.

Any suggestions?

I also agree that a good Pike would not be an issue on a #7 or #8 set up, goodness knows I have caught enough of them by accident whilst bashing stockies and they handled well enough, however I disagree that those weights are comfortable casting large modern Pike flies, which are in truth nothing like in size and resistence to those used for Steelhead, Kings, Sockeye etc. They are much bigger.

I don't know any serious Pike fly angler whom would fish anything less than a #9 weight and considering the welfare of the fish, anyone deliberately targeting them on a #7 or even and #8 is, with all due respect, being irresponsible. You want them hooked, then in, unhooked, revived and released as soon as. No messing about.

Tightlines!

The Pirate :)

Im going to have dissagree with you Pirate there is no need use flys the size of budgies I tie mine up with CS52 prtridge no 2s debarbed and a 7to8 wt does not struggle turning these over if you slow things down the size of the rod isnt the issue as far as landing and returning the fish its the way the fish is Angled, most summer pike put up an ordinary struggle to say the least, irresponsible!! may be I am but I havent had one keel over yet, How about the ones youve caught by accident on lighter Gear have they rolled over?

Sorry if they have But I bet they didnt!

I am going to qoute a post of an earlier thread on the same topic And I hope Sportsman Dosnt mind but he is far more eloqeunt than me :D

Heavy rods don't necessarily land fish quicker. The outfit has to be balanced. It starts with the fly, or at least the size of fly. I use a lot of 14 - 18 and they just don't work on a heavy leader, so I use 4lb Fluorocarbon. If I used a 4lb leader with an 8 wt rod I would be snapping off all the time, so I use a 4 wt rod and have no problems. Because the 4wt rod protects the leader I can really give the fish some stick and land it quickly. The fishery that I mostly fish has a high number of double figure fish and also a high number of 3 and 4wt rod users. The fishery owner wouldn't allow it if he thought that there was a problem. There is no question that it works.

So, back to the original question, you would probably want to use fairly large flies and to turn them over properly you would want heavier line. If you can cast the fly OK on a 7wt then that is rod enough to land anything you are likely to encounter where you are going to fish but it is more likely that you will need an 8wt to cast large streamer type flies successfully.

Balance is everything, have fun with it.

I am interested in your line theory though please if its not to much to ask please name one ??

I think what this does show up is the diversity in our sport and regional differances in approach to a particular qaurry,

I wish you all the Best pirate good luck mate FB :D:thumbs:

Edited by five bellies

انا آكل كل الفطائر

Most serious Pike fly anglers will use serious kit, #9 and #10 rods and lines to match, with proper traces and flies of several inches in length. There is always the chance of hooking into a fish of a lifetime, 30lb plus, they won't want to be doing so on relatively light gear.

Another disadvantage of light gear and smaller flies? Picking up too many Jacks, as well as other species including Perch and Trout. Certainly not what serious Pike anglers are targeting.

Also, am sure there are those targeting them on light gear and smaller flies, their perogative, I just don't personally recommend or agree with it. Am also concerned with the type of trace being used on lighter gear?

Each to their own I suppose though.

Good quality inexpensive lines? Toothy Critter, or have a gander at the top two links in my signature.

Tightlines!

The Pirate.

• 2 weeks later...

Airflo do a good intermediate line right up to an 11wt at a reasonabel price, Tackle bargains probably your best bet.

I fish with a B.C 10/11wt for pike....may seem heavy but I fish at Chew with it and we all know that there are some biggies in there, no point in taking chances!