Pike fly line recommendations

Jim Murray

I can recommend Jim Teeny Rocket Taper line for the bigger flies. The front end is powerful enough to turn the fly over especially with a decent furled leader.

Don't worry about Stuart's accidental pike rolling over. I'll bet he gives them a tap with his magic wand :D

Edited by Nicepix

Regards, Clive

PP - I hear what you are saying about going heavy for the bigger pike, but I will mostly be fishing on small Irish loughs where the chance of a 30 or even a 20 would be extremely slim. I'll also mostly be fishing from a float tube(wondering if I could cast a 10 weight all day from one).

Been thinking of getting a Shakespeare Expedition rod as have heard good things about them and the option of throwing it in a suitcase would be really handy. They are available in a 8 or 10 weight so do you really think it would be worth stepping up to a 10 for the type of fishing I'll be doing?

PP - I hear what you are saying about going heavy for the bigger pike, but I will mostly be fishing on small Irish loughs where the chance of a 30 or even a 20 would be extremely slim. I'll also mostly be fishing from a float tube(wondering if I could cast a 10 weight all day from one).

Been thinking of getting a Shakespeare Expedition rod as have heard good things about them and the option of throwing it in a suitcase would be really handy. They are available in a 8 or 10 weight so do you really think it would be worth stepping up to a 10 for the type of fishing I'll be doing?

I know that wasnt directed at me Jim

But you have awnswerd your own question. And in my experiance most of the lunking great pike I have caught have been on live and dead baits not on the fly.

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

(wondering if I could cast a 10 weight all day from one).

For me it would not be a case of "could I", more "would I want to".

As far as I'm concerned, if I have to resort to 10 weight fly tackle I may as well get the plugging gear out. The whole point is to do something I ENJOY, not to show how manly I am casting a budgie around on a telegraph pole.

I have never float tubed in my life and have no inclination to do so, however I can't imagine anyone trying to fish a #10 weight outfit for Pike from one, a #10 weight pike outfit would be for the boat or bank, like they do on Chew for example.

I have a lot of friends whom float tube and this is the first time I have heard of someone targeting pike from one. Must be a heck of a ride with a big one on. No thankyou!

The Pirate.

I have never float tubed in my life and have no inclination to do so, however I can't imagine anyone trying to fish a #10 weight outfit for Pike from one, a #10 weight pike outfit would be for the boat or bank, like they do on Chew for example.

I have a lot of friends whom float tube and this is the first time I have heard of someone targeting pike from one. Must be a heck of a ride with a big one on. No thankyou!

The Pirate.

I float tube for pike all the time with a 7wt. I also use light spinning and baitcasting outfits.

You do have to be a bit careful with all of those trebles flying around. ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

For me it would not be a case of "could I", more "would I want to".

As far as I'm concerned, if I have to resort to 10 weight fly tackle I may as well get the plugging gear out. The whole point is to do something I ENJOY, not to show how manly I am casting a budgie around on a telegraph pole.

My thoughts exactly. I stopped fly-fishing for pike for that reason. The majority of pike hooked on fly were under 5lb and double-hauling an 8 weight into the wind all day wasn't much fun. I would rather switch to a light plugging rod than double-haul a budgie all day.

These days I use an 8 weight rod to troll a large fly behind the kayak with a plug rod in the other rod holder. The bigger pike invariably fall to the plugs.

Regards, Clive