Free Fishing On The Tees

Steve G

Debatable this one, the definate free stretches that I know are Stckton town centre either side, Yarm from the old skin yard [Atlas wynd] town side all the way past the old fire station and past the church until you reach a footpath before the woods. Also If you turn into Goose Pastures [road] and park at the bottom there are a few pegs in the woods. As you go upstream Middleton one row town side, Neasham town side, Croft upstream of the road bridge, Darlington from Broken scar weir down to Blackwell and Barnard Castle has a free stretch. Now there are a lot of stretches in Thornaby which are fished on a regular basis and Ingleby Barwick. There are no signs up regarding club waters so someone else may shine some light on this Bowesfield also is a heavily fished area but I'm not sure about rights as yet again there are no signs. Pick any of these areas and your sure to have a good day as the river is alive with fish and you don't know what you will catch next.

If Brian Carrigher is on later he may be able to shed a bit more light for you but it's a start

They are harder to catch up North

Yes I know one or two stretchs of the Tees that offer free fishing but it might help if I knew what species you were hoping to target.

Please understand my caution on this topic as its your first post and requesting good prime information that has taken me a long time to accumulate

I fished a busmans match at Bowesfield yesterday, and it was DIRE. I think 72 fished and the match was won with a local lad weighing 1 lbs 12 oz. My mates were second and third with 15 ozs and 12 ozs and I won my section with 8 1/2 ozs. I did draw the outside of a big wide bend which didn't help. I plumbed up on the pole, looking for the bottom of the shelf. When I got to 13 metres and the shelf was still falling away, I threw that up the bank and had a day on the feeder/link ledger.

Throughout 5 hours I saw evidence of one silverfish topping at about 14 metres so I blasted 2 pouches of maggots on that line and went over it with a 6AAA link leger. I added 2 eels to the 5 ozs one I'd caught earlier in the deeper water.

Admitted it was a blazing hot summers day and there was no movement to the river where I was. That was my first time on the Tees. If I was to fish it again, I'd want to fish where there is some pace in the river.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

John, the tees from stockton up until you reach the higher reaches of thornaby/Ingleby tends to be like a big bowl with no shelf at all and it is an out and out middle of the river job on grounbait feeder. Put about 40 feeders worth out in the same place using a line clip before even putting a hook on. The big loop method is the prefered rig for those in the know. Baiting the hook with the end of a worm held on with a red maggot, this catches bream and roach alike. Don't let that last trip put you off as there are some big weights to be had. Maybe the weather Killed it off. Today looks spot on but alas I'm at work today but I will call on my way home for an hours lure fishing. I fished further upstream the other day when the colour was in the river on the pole and found silver fish in abundance at the top and mid water but not on the bottom, Roach dace and Chublets.

They are harder to catch up North