Introducing a youngster......

TrevBoy

I will be tasked this summer to take a nephew out for a short session. He has been once with his Dad, with a cheapo "set" and caught a few little rudd from the duck pond. Neither his Dad or he knew what they were doing but the lad is keen to try again.

I am considering being the best Uncle ever and buying him a whip to get him started as simply as possible. Does that sound like a good idea or would it be better to get him a proper rod/reel and all that entails?

I am imagining a couple of hours on the canal with his whip, some liquidised bread and hopefully a dozen rudd or whatver else comes along, once the weather warms up a bit. But any advice from someone who has been through this would be gratefully received.

I think it's a brilliant idea a whip would be perfect with pint of maggots/pinkies. You could always find your local fishery some of them have small stock ponds they allow you to take youngsters on pretty much guaranteed to catch if he enjoys it enough then progress him onto rod and reel and show him the different forms of fishing and let him choose his own route how he would like to progress weather it be fishing matches or rivers for barbel/chub or if he wants bigger the better and go for specimen fish or even carp.

I know as a kid I started out on rivers feeder fishing or trotting for roach or perch basically anything that swam now I like to be catching constantly so the match fishing style appears to me most

tight lines

How old is the nephew? My only experience of taking a youngster fishing involved my ex's 5 year old son falling in the canal because he wouldnt sit down and stay still.

So my advice would be to keep it very short and sweet and if possible near to a park for when the attention is gone

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

Why buy him something when you could use you own gear, which you will be familiar with. If he decides it is not for him, nothing wasted. Don't expect to fish yourself, but you will enjoy it just as much, and you will still be the best uncle ever. Agree with Viney, keep it short and give up when he starts to get bored. Lots of small silvers fish will bring a smile to his face. Don't forget a camera, as he will want to show his parents and friends. That's what I did with my boy, and we take fishing holidays together. He is now the ripe old age of 14

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

A decent rod these days is 20 quid. A decent reel is also 20 quid. A little whip is a tenner.

You could easily sort him out with 2 outfits for little more than 50 quid and he can try his hand at both.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Why buy him something when you could use you own gear, which you will be familiar with. If he decides it is not for him, nothing wasted. Don't expect to fish yourself, but you will enjoy it just as much, and you will still be the best uncle ever. Agree with Viney, keep it short and give up when he starts to get bored. Lots of small silvers fish will bring a smile to his face. Don't forget a camera, as he will want to show his parents and friends. That's what I did with my boy, and we take fishing holidays together. He is now the ripe old age of 14

What he said.

I'd also add that a commercial fishery with lots of silvers is a good idea - even if the prospect of fishing one yourself nauseates you, kids just want to catch a few fish.

Give the owners a ring a few days before and have a chat about what you're doing - they're often happy to help.

Pick a warmish fry day.

Keep the session short - three hours max with an option of an extra half hour if they insist.

Use a float. It's much less boring than waiting for an alarm or watching a rod tip.

You will not be fishing yourself unless they get a bit bored. On a fist session, you will be doing everything, baiting, casting, telling to strike and unhooking.

Photograph everything (well almost) and upload the pictures as soon as you get home.

Use the antireverse.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I've the self-same joy myself to look forward too later this year when the weather warms up a bit ... eldest littl'un is now a bouncin' 4-year old, with another one in the wings just five months old ... best excuse I'll ever have to go out fishing as often as I want to! :-)

Getting a kid started can be even more fun that fishing yourself :) All good advice above!

I've got a 7 year old cousin who is chomping at the bit for his 2nd day out, took him once at the end of last summer and the weather hasn't been suitable since! Bought him a 4m whip for his birthday last week.

I like to keep it really simple with kids, A whip, A couple of ready made rigs, and a pint of maggots are all thats needed. after a session or two of instruction he should be able to fish with that pretty much un-aided, and at that point you can take a "proper" rod for yourself and start to introduce him to more selective baits and tackle. Offer to swap rods and let him have a go for something bigger, and switch him back to the whip if he starts the get bored waiting for a bite!

Mat

Mat